MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

My Browser Builds (Part 3)

roytam1

......By the way, it looks like the internet at large will be moving to JPEG-XL instead which combines new compression techniques and considerations employed by Guetzli etc....

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26037&p=206992&hilit=jpeg+XL#p206992

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/05/11/find-out-if-your-browser-supports-the-new-image-format-jpeg-xl/

It would be interesting to know if our browsers will update to the new standard.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Sorry Dave, haven't seen the "flags" myself since many moons ago... :angry:
They are certainly MIA on latest Serpent 52:

qTKH90F.jpg

I accept further discussing this here is OT ;) ; there exists a now LOCKED thread I started on Feb 2020 in the Site & Forum Issues sub-forum where I pointed out last January that the flags had again vanished for good, but, as said, the thread was locked by a mod...

If the flags are there for you (BTW, on which browser?) and you know of a way to bring them back for the rest of us, please come forth... ;)

Cheers :)

How strange, the flags are certainly there for me on Firefox 52.9 ESR.

Image1.thumb.jpg.c5990f9e47adb6bc06def73c313ff663.jpg

They're on every page of the forum in fact.

Image2.thumb.jpg.5f74ad758bee0568ae7cc19fee752748.jpg

Perhaps they're being blocked somehow for you and others.
:dubbio:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

flag.thumb.JPG.7682e400962196053d0fe69123daaf98.JPG

Unless there is a setting somewhere I'm unaware of; with both, Serpent and New Moon, I can't see the flags?

Edited by XPerceniol

How strange.
I've always assumed that everyone could see the flags, but obviously not!

EDIT: Have you checked this forum setting? I thought it was enabled by default, but you never know!

1643640446_Image3.thumb.png.1102d0373744a2f3af3ba27a87331575.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I've always assumed that everyone could see the flags, but obviously not!
EDIT: Have you checked this forum setting?
I thought it was enabled by default, but you never know!

Sorry again, @Dave-H :( ; under latest Serpent 52.9.0/Vista SP2 32-bit, the "Country" section of Account Settings displays as below:

QXq3oLo.jpg

Perhaps "View Members Flags" is only reserved for Mods now? :dubbio:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

on firefox 64esr

Do you actually mean FirefoxESR 68 (I've never known a 64esr version to have existed; 60esr -> 68esr -> 78esr -> 91esr) ?

• Upvote 1

The switch is there for me on every browser I've tried, so maybe it is a moderators' only option at present.
I think that's very odd if it is the case, and if the switch wasn't there I would expect the option to be enabled anyway.
I'm sure I used to be able to see members' country flags before I was a moderator.
Maybe it's something which has crept in with the new version of the forum software, but if so I suspect it's something that has been left switched off for general members by mistake. Until another moderator or supervisor confirms this by saying they can see the flags and have the switch option I don't know what else to say!
:)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

It would be interesting to know if our browsers will update to the new standard.

This depends solely on MCP (as I don't expect roytam1 to take this up on his own ;) ), going by what is already known about them, they won't be jumping on that bandwagon very soon/if ever... :(

Personally, I'm not that worried TBH, the article you linked to says:

JPEG XL is but one image format that is competing to become the next standard image format on the web.
Only a small number of tools and viewers support the new image format right now, and fewer websites use it. There is no rush to support the format on the user side because of that.

:)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

related mozilla upstream PR: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1707590

don't know if MCP will import it or not.

In contrast, AVIF is still not adapted by mozilla(, yet): https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1443863

Edited by roytam1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Curiouser and curiouser!
I can't image why that setting would only be available for mods!

xper did it. Only staff can see the flags. But, for the life of me, I cannot remember why. Sorry!  :(

7 hours ago, dencorso said:

xper did it. Only staff can see the flags.

Hi dencorso :) ; I suppose a "High Court Appeal" ;) is out of the question then, am I right?

Best regards from Greece (wait; you, too, can see the flags :P ... ) !

• Upvote 1