What are you watching?

sunryze

Must have been 9 years since I was in the cinema last time. Seems too much bother these days, I resort to torrents at the odd time I feel like watching a movie. The list from recent years is short, I watched The Matrix Resurrections (2021) in 2022, Storm of the Century (1999) in 2020, The Matrix trilogy (1999, 2003), Idiocracy (2006) and A Quiet Place (2018) in 2019.

There are 2 quizzes and 1 satire on local TV channels that I do watch on the more regular basis though.

2 hours ago, mina7601 said:

I remember going to the cinema at least once to see Frozen 2 movie in 2019.

frozen is not really one of my favorite disney movies as elsa kind of annoys me 

Edited by legacyfan

15 hours ago, Saxon said:

Let me help you, even though I'm not the one who wrote about the Dune remake initially, but still.

Enjoy. :wacko:

Staggering action sequences can't help 'Dune: Part Two' sustain a sense of awe

https://www.indiewire.com/criticism/movies/dune-part-two-movie-review-1234955419/

Unfortunately I have only limited time for accounts that are only here for the sake of argument. First of all, Dune: Part One and Part Two do not comprise a “remake” of the shorter and less successful 1984 film, but rather a new and better adaptation of the bestselling 1965 novel by Frank Herbert.

I have read the unfavorable review you suggested (at least the first one that is included in the quote above). He gave the film a grade of C (average in the U.S.), but I fail to see how it supports your remark about the casting?

On 3/13/2024 at 9:55 PM, Saxon said:

With all the love to Christopher Walken, I shouldn't recommend due to the rest of the weak cast.

The review you suggested states that the Emperor is “played by a badly miscast Christopher Walken, whose natural affectations distract from a movie that’s in desperate need of a more grounded presence.” I have no argument with that! However no one else is described as “miscast,” so  citing this review appears to have been self-defeating on your part. :buehehe:

On 3/14/2024 at 11:12 PM, D.Draker said:

Remake (weakest cast ever) - Princess Irulan.

Florence Pugh (/ p j uː / " PEW "; born 3 January 1996) - 28 years old! 

I suppose that’s a specific casting criticism? According to the same unfavorable review mentioned above, and immediately following the sentence about Christopher Walken, “Florence Pugh, by contrast, strikes the perfect balance between strength and survivalism in her brief role as the Emperor’s daughter.” I hope this reviewer is right, because Irulan will be an important character in Part Three (having read the books). If you would care to attack any specific member of the cast (perhaps Timothée Chalamet as Paul?), I will be glad to explain why you’re wrong again! :)

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I have read the unfavourable review you suggested (at least the first one that is included in the quote above).

If you would care to attack any specific member of the cast (perhaps Timothée Chalamet as Paul?)

OMG! Use the internet, see tons of negative reviews. Those are *not* "attacks", those are film critic reviews and opinions, you don't like them? Ignore, you don't have to reply to everything.

Overall, nothing in that "C" grade film that deserves to be discussed that meticulously.

"The 5 Biggest Problems With ‘Dune Part 2’" by Erik Kain.

"1. The emotional connection does not connect."

"4. Dune Part 2 is too long and too rushed at the same time. And it ends too abruptly."

"5. The Harkonnens are just cartoon villains now."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2024/03/03/the-5-biggest-problems-with-dune-part-2/?sh=16521e2613ce

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

"...played by a badly miscast..."

"If you would care to attack any specific member of the cast (perhaps Timothée Chalamet as Paul?"

Now the column No. 2 that specifically targets the main weak actors (which is my opinion, also):

"2. Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya do their best, and it’s not enough."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2024/03/03/the-5-biggest-problems-with-dune-part-2/?sh=16521e2613ce

"Not enough" because they simply can't do better, if it's not "weak acting", "poor cast", "miscast", "misfitted actors", I don't know how else to translate it to you. 

And again, those are *not* "attacks", those are film critic reviews and personal opinions, you don't like them? Ignore, you don't have to reply to everything.

5 hours ago, Dixel said:

“The 5 Biggest Problems With ‘Dune Part 2’" by Erik Kain.

"1. [irrelevant]

"4. [irrelevant]

"5. [irrelevant]

5 hours ago, Dixel said:

Now the column No. 2 that specifically targets the main weak actors (which is my opinion, also):

"2. Timothée Chalamet and Zendaya do their best, and it’s not enough."

How can you say that is also your opinion if you haven’t seen the film? I am evidently the only person in this thread who has seen it, and I liked it! You could easily find positive reviews if you wished, but that is not your purpose - and you deliberately omitted column No. 3 from the Forbes article for obvious reasons:

3. There are too many famous people in these movies.”

Is that your definition of a “weak cast,” too many famous people? Of course if you don’t watch 21st-century films (and you have stated before that you do not), then you might not realize how famous young actors such as Timotheé Chalamet and Zendaya actually are now - particularly among those in the 18 to 35 age bracket who actually buy most of the movie tickets. Old guys like you and I (I’m more than twice his age and suspect that you are too) can call Chalamet “weak” if we like, but money talks louder! His last starring role was in Wonka, which was released during the holiday season. I didn’t see it (not my kind of film, I’m just an old science fiction fan), but it grossed $628 million. Since you like to read Forbes, here’s an article saying that Dune: Part Two will reach $460 million by the end of this weekend, and its theatrical run won’t be over yet:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2024/03/14/dune-part-two-topping-2021-dune-with-460-million-after-third-weekend/

As far as Hollywood is concerned, Chalamet is now among the world’s top box-office draws, and I wish him all the best. I haven’t given much thought to Zendaya, but I did like Rebecca Ferguson (and even Erik Kain writes that she is “perfect as Lady Jessica”). It sounds like no one here is likely to go to a cinema, but I’m sure that some of you will eventually watch these new Dune movies in the comfort of your homes, and you just might enjoy them’ :)

19 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

It was nice when I was little but isn't it really expensive to get soda and popcorn now? Plus the rate? Sound's like a costly adventure. When I used to go we'd smuggle candy into the theater (bad Sal ...:})

Oh man, You can easily kill $60 for 2 people. 

If it's a less crowded time slot and I get the end seat I can tolerate it. If it's crowded/near full, nope. 

16 hours ago, UCyborg said:

.. 1 satire on local TV channels that I do watch on the more regular basis though.

I use my old VCR to record S & L because I'm not up to watch it.

1 hour ago, xrobwx71 said:

Oh man, You can easily kill $60 for 2 people. 

If it's a less crowded time slot and I get the end seat I can tolerate it. If it's crowded/near full, nope. 

When I did go I used to like to get an end seat because back then people would have to make their way across others to go to the bathroom when the seats were very close and tight. From what I'm told the seats are not like that anymore and there is plenty of room now for people to move about. Like I said ... been a very long time.

Edited by XPerceniol

17 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

“Florence Pugh, by contrast...

Virginia Madsen looks like a Princess, someone having Royal Blood.

c34749e32bcbf9599ea762abdf37fa6c.jpg

Florence Pugh looks like a random instagram woman.

1327241967.jpeg

And yes, I watched the film, we here got it for very cheap. on sale.