What are you watching?

sunryze

10 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

For me, MGM cartoons (particularly Tom and Jerry) are very good for laughing.

I love Saturday cartoons as a 50 year old. They never get old. Also I still enjoy Family Guy for a laugh.

I recently rewatched David Lynch’s 1986 cult classic Blue Velvet. This film is certainly not for everyone! Depending on which critic you listen to, Blue Velvet might be one of the 100 best films ever made, or it might be one of the most disturbing pieces of trash ever to avoid an X rating. Youngsters and sensitive adults beware! This film was rated R for extreme profanity, sadomasochistic sex and other miscellaneous violence. Dennis Hopper’s villain “Frank” is especially depraved, but if he doesn’t make you nauseous, you might find him to be quite funny. I would be interested in knowing what other members think of Blue Velvet. Here’s an official trailer suitable for general audiences, hence it does not prepare you in the least for the film’s more controversial content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGQlJQHHTgA

13 hours ago, mina7601 said:

For me, MGM cartoons (particularly Tom and Jerry) are very good for laughing.

12 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I love Saturday cartoons as a 50 year old. They never get old. Also I still enjoy Family Guy for a laugh.

To each their own, of course, but I see the world differently, my brain is wired differently, but that wiring works for me "so be it", lol.  Just as everyone else's "wiring" should work for them!

Sure, I loved cartoons when I was a kid, but as an adult I hate hate HATE "cartoons".

To the point of BOYCOTTING things like The Simpsons, The Critic, F is for Family, American Dad, King of the Hill, Bob's Burgers, Archer, Rick and Morty, Beavis and Butt-Head, Futurama, Family Guy, South Park.

And I had to google-search just to list some of them.  HATE HATE HATE!  Not a strong enough word!

I throw Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry into the same category, I cannot even bring myself to watch Charlie Brown Christmas Specials or seasonal cartoons like How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

I do not know WHAT or WHY, but cartoons of ANY kind make me feel like I am "regressing" and I try to always look towards the future and not the past.

But like I said, my brain is wired differently.  But that wiring "works for me" and I would have it no other way.  :cool:

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

But like I said, my brain is wired differently.  But that wiring "works for me" and I would have it no other way.  :cool:

Yeah, my brain is also wired differently, and like you it works for me and I've come to accept it over the years. Nothing wrong with being "yourself" just the way you are "as is" and this is the problem with the world now, people are canceled for being an "individual" - we live in a 'cookie cutter' world and in a lot of ways I'm glad I'm a misfit. Here's to all the misfits out there :cheerleader:

Edited by XPerceniol

16 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

...sensitive adults beware! This film was rated R for extreme profanity...

Thank you @Vistapocalypse for the warning on this ahead of time on this movie. I am sensitive and will avoid this for that reason. I ran out of likes today so a reply is better anyway. Thank you for the recommendation and this movie does sound interesting and I quite enjoy Dennis Hopper in other movies.

5 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Sure, I loved cartoons when I was a kid, but as an adult I hate hate HATE "cartoons".

I also loved cartoons as a kid, especially the Warner Brothers “looney tunes” characters (Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner, etc.) Of course I eventually gave them up, however I did watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas a month ago so I don’t exactly share your revulsion to cartoons as an adult. One possible rule of thumb: When cartoon females start looking sexually appealing, it’s time for a young man to stop watching cartoons. For me, the acid test was Josie and the Pussycats. You could say they were the first girl band I ever listened to, and man those chicks were hot! Val was actually the first black female character to appear in a Saturday morning cartoon in the United States (1970). Here’s a YouTube clip, look at those legs man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly4fJeCQV_o

2 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Thank you @Vistapocalypse for the warning on this ahead of time on this movie. I am sensitive and will avoid [Blue Velvet] for that reason.

Coincidentally, Blue Velvet star Kyle MacLachlan appeared on Today Show this morning to promote a new podcast he’s hosting about organized crime in Varnamtown, North Carolina.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about Blue Velvet?

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Coincidentally, Blue Velvet star Kyle MacLachlan appeared on Today Show this morning to promote a new podcast he’s hosting about organized crime in Varnamtown, North Carolina.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about Blue Velvet?

I usually try to avoid films with Dennis Hopper at all costs, but Kyle MacLachlan is a good, charismatic actor, so I even bought the Bluray.  The Italian woman in that film, I didn't like her acting (no, I'm not saying she's not pretty or whatever), I just think they could find someone much better to pair up with Kyle. Sherilyn Fenn, for example, if we are to assume they didn't have enough budget to hire British actors.

22 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

This film was rated R for extreme profanity, sadomasochistic sex and other miscellaneous violence.

Don't see it on my Bluray. It only says not recommended for children below 13. Probably the R is only for Zimbabwe?

22 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

David Lynch

For an American, David Lynch is quite good. I even enjoyed the 2017 Twin Peaks, while the 90s variant was a heavy yawn fest.

21 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

This film was rated R

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Don't see it on my Bluray. It only says not recommended for children below 13. Probably the R is only for Zimbabwe?

I thought "rated R" and ""PG" and "G" and "NC-17" and "PG-13" was only a USA rating?  I didn't think ratings were "internationalized" ???

Do you know my eyes (or brain) can't see the difference between Bluray and normal mode. But I also (while do have a Bluray player) have a not so good TV. 

Edited by XPerceniol

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I thought "rated R" and ""PG" and "G" and "NC-17" and "PG-13" was only a USA rating?  I didn't think ratings were "internationalized" ???

That's right, no restrictions on my Bluray, only that recommendation. Looks like some really sensitive people live in the US, if it's so many ratings.