What are you watching?

sunryze

Its funny because I can watch a move rated R and not be triggered, but I can be triggered by a family rated drama or a dreaded love story and I'm very sensitive.

Edited by XPerceniol

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Coincidentally, Blue Velvet star Kyle MacLachlan appeared on Today Show this morning to promote a new podcast he’s hosting about organized crime in Varnamtown, North Carolina.

That Today Show segment has already been posted on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umtZ-LPc2IY

It includes some discussion of David Lynch’s Dune (1984), which was MacLachlan’s first starring role, based on the excellent science fiction book by Frank Herbert. Unfortunately that film version of Dune was a commercial failure, and even I (a fan of both science fiction and David Lynch) did not like it at all. :no:

The newer Dune Part 1 by director Denis Villeneuve (2021) is a better adaptation of the book in my opinion, and Dune Part 2 will be released March 1:yes:

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

Do you know my eyes (or brain) can't see the difference between Bluray and normal mode. But I also (while do have a Bluray player) have a not so good TV. 

It's most likely not your brain or your eyes, it's your TV.

Until only about six or seven years ago, I was only running a 27" Sony Trinitron TUBE TV that 'could' be carried by two people but took THREE people my size to carry!

The bedroom was a 19" "flatscreen" but was still a TUBE TV, not what we think of when we say "flatscreen" nowadays.  (it didn't have a "bowl-shape curved screen, it had a "flat" screen, but was still a *TUBE*)

Six or seven years ago I ditched the 27" and the 19" televisions and picked up two 32" true flatscreens that any 8yr old can carry.

My hookups were RCA CABLES (the red, yellow, white pair of three push-in connectors).

27" to 32" might not sound like that big of a difference, but the picture difference was GIGANTIC - even on RCA CABLES.

I didn't think anything of it, the picture color and crispness was OUT OF THIS WORLD compared to those old TUBE TVs.  I was in Entertainment Heaven.

One weekend, my brother connects his laptop's HDMI cable between my new 32" TV and my cable tv box.

I was watching a baseball game at the time, I could *SEE* the catcher's EYES snap closed for a split second when the ball hit his glove.

Ain't NEVER seen that with any set of RCA CABLES.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I usually try to avoid films with Dennis Hopper at all costs, but Kyle MacLachlan is a good, charismatic actor, so I even bought the Bluray.  The Italian woman in that film, I didn't like her acting (no, I'm not saying she's not pretty or whatever), I just think they could find someone much better to pair up with Kyle. Sherilyn Fenn, for example, if we are to assume they didn't have enough budget to hire British actors.

I agree with you, except that Dennis Hopper has been in other good films. Isabella Rossellini was a professional model with very little acting experience. Lynch had wanted Helen Mirren to play “Dorothy” in Blue Velvet, but couldn’t get her. Rossellini talks about that in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-dwkJeOKGM

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Looks like some really sensitive people live in the US, if it's so many ratings. 

I think it’s fair to say that America is more religious and more sexually inhibited than Europe. No offense intended in either direction.

On 1/24/2024 at 12:07 AM, D.Draker said:

"Famed Dutch actor Rutger Hauer - an honourary Frisian."

For those who still don't know, Rutger Hauer's my favourite actor, I have all fimls with him on Blurays.

Each film with Rutger Hauer is a masterpiece!

https://northerntimes.nl/famed-dutch-actor-rutger-hauer-an-honorary-frisian/

The Best Actor of the Century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutger_Hauer

@AstroSkipper, @Dixel

Regarding Rutger Hauer, I liked very much the film "Blind Fury". I've watched this film a few times in my life. Enjoyed it again and again. :thumbup

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Regarding Rutger Hauer, I liked very much the film "Blind Fury". I've watched this film a few times in my life. Enjoyed it again and again. :thumbup

Fantastic film, I can say the same about all of his films, I'd like to add another suggestion.

1982 Blade Runner is highly advisable to watch, if you manage to get the working print, especially.

https://www.whattowatch.com/features/blade-runner-cuts-explained

I understand Harrison Ford's acting can be hard to watch, try to ignore.

I only watch because of Rutger's mighty acting in that film.

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Dune:thumbup I love this film from 1984. :wub:

Indeed! I was at the premiere at our Vichy cultural centre (Opera of Vichy). Good memories - 1980s - cosy and isolated Western Europe, no troublemakers inside. Safe to roam the streets at night, after attending such nice events, for example.

https://www.ville-vichy.fr/ccv

Here's how it looks inside.

https://www.lamontagne.fr/vichy-03200/loisirs/lopera-de-vichy-et-le-centre-culturel-s-ouvrent-au-public-ce-samedi-le-programme_13552504/

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

1982 Blade Runner is highly advisable to watch, if you manage to get the working print, especially.

Blade Runner is one of my favorite films! I’m not that particular about which cut, and I don’t think I ever saw the working print. In recent months I have watched both the so-called Director’s Cut and the so-called Final Cut, and there was very little difference between them. (I think director Ridley Scott would suggest the Final Cut.)

Believe it or not, most Americans are not familiar with this excellent film: Mostly just science fiction fans like myself. American audiences in 1982 did not want to see their hero Harrison Ford shoot a woman in the back - never mind if this woman was a “replicant” and his job was to “retire” replicants - so Blade Runner is a cult movie. I must be rather sensitive myself, because Rutger Hauer’s last scene sometimes makes me cry. Who was more human in the end, the human or the replicant? The moral implications of creating artificial beings very much like ourselves are the theme of this film. Wouldn’t we have some moral responsibility toward such beings?

Another good film with the same theme is A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001). Stanley Kubrick was initially developing that film, but his health failed and Steven Spielberg adopted the project. This one is almost suitable for children, but perhaps not quite despite its PG-13 rating.

Thank! I'm into almost 55 mins already, seems like not much is happening, but the British actor Jude Law just appeared, and that indeed brings hope. Any year past 1999 is generally a bad omen, I do not watch post Millennium films, I consider them to be weak by default. But I'll do my best to try to like it, as a genuine Sc-Fi films fan.

I'm watching the streaming version, it only has the simple, outdated by decades Dolby 5.1, probably it would have more depth and atmosphere with DTS 7.1. Some good ideas are surely present in the film, some scenes could be shorter (too soapy).

On 1/23/2024 at 1:53 PM, XPerceniol said:

Guys, don't worry and don't even give this a second thought. I appreciate the support from all posters and @Vistapocalypse thank you for the apology and worry not even a second, I'm fine and perhaps I was over sensitive last night and thank you again for clarifying your question to me and your posting.

Please, guys, lets make this thread fun again and please no more fighting; lets bring back what are you watching in respect for the OP @sunryze.

Bless you all ;)

Sal

To drive back to what we are focused on: I love this. Been waiting quite a while for it to finally come out.

MV5BYzNkMzc5OTYtNDk2MS00NGI0LThjZGYtYjdmNWI4OTExZWFjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjkwOTAyMDU@._V1_.thumb.jpg.1b855ea05fc0b037b221351c0ee68c34.jpg