Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

bookie32

I think ms should move to modular features method

adding features to stable windows

and testing them and then make it with next version of windows

users will choose what to install, and then ms will be able to know what to focus more

avoiding bloat features and wasting time on making them and removing them

That sounds like a great idea until the System Requirements for software looks like a chinese restaurant menu.

You need updates #1, 2, 17, 87, 23471
You need features #1-87, 98, 101, 117-500

Screw it, you just need to be up to date as of Today.

36 minutes ago, MikeyV said:

You need updates #1, 2, 17, 87, 23471
You need features #1-87, 98, 101, 117-500

Not really-really, that would be too d@mn simple.

update #37, if it is a wednesday, odd month number but even day number and there is a full moon in the GMT minus 4;00 + your actual location time offset AND you have not update #96 but you have 101 and not 115 will crash your system.

jaclaz 

• 2 weeks later...

The audio just died on my desktop recently.

This guy apparently stumbled on the same issue:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2238479-windows-10-no-audio-output-device-is-installed

Though the circumstances are a bit different. Only one thing is certain; when some state gets messed up on Windows, one is very lucky to be able to find the cure that doesn't involve reinstall.

So things are quiet now. I wonder if trying to debug the audio service would reveal anything. Deleting stuff under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices (Capture and Render under Audio) doesn't help, though the entries reappear when getting Device Manager to detect and add the devices again. I deleted them after turning off Windows Audio Endpoint Builder and Windows Audio services.

For a change of pace, recreated an XP Pro system on an XPS M140 Dell laptop.  Had to re-learn XP speak.  Got it up and running but had to use IE 8 as the newest MS browser.  Shades of Win 10 Insider Preview IE 11.  Got IE 8 to access Google.com but very little else.  Crap started to appear way back then.  However, an old Firefox had no problems under XP Pro SP3.

A friend needed an XP computer to run a specific newsletter program.  That started the walk down memory lane.  It still amazes me that MS is still a viable company.  The smile says that people will buy crap and then wonder why after awhile.  :cool::D:yes:

8 hours ago, dencorso said:

You may want to get @roytam1's Serpent 52 from the XP forum, and also use @heinoganda's Cert_Updater_v1.6 to give XP the latest security certificates. :yes:

... and get (additionally/besides Serpent) QTweb, 

For "simple" sites it is faster and leaner than anything else.

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 1:17 AM, BudwS said:

For a change of pace, recreated an XP Pro system on an XPS M140 Dell laptop.  Had to re-learn XP speak.  Got it up and running but had to use IE 8 as the newest MS browser.  Shades of Win 10 Insider Preview IE 11.  Got IE 8 to access Google.com but very little else.  Crap started to appear way back then.  However, an old Firefox had no problems under XP Pro SP3.

I still remember installing Slovenian language pack changing Bliss background to plain blueness, the delay before it shut down (must be when MS started to implement delays in their OSes), the refusal to activate online if it was done too many times, repair install turning the OS into a slow snail, update scanning taking 15+ min.

I have an old PC from late Vista era with some small upgrades, which still has full driver support for XP. Funny, if I enable the ability to wake it up from sleep (was called standby back then) with the mouse, that leaves fans running while asleep. :huh:

one day I was angry and with huge hurry after a f***** update screwed all my printers devices. I had to repair my pc from zero by using a reinstall by default with windows recovery (at least the very few good thing in this horrible O.S. at least....) then I have to set everything example: set timezone and hour, you have to do 4 f****** clicks once you are on the dialog Date and Hour when with Win 7 it was only are 2 clicks, and they call this kind of clusterf*** things as "productivity", same for lookin' for panel contro, 3 clicks, same for managing internet and lan icon, etc... everything overcomplicated, I think they do like to f*** everybody no matter how it was done this ***** o.s

Updates....same headache! (although they lately in the two last big versions they are giving more freedom to set the update timetable). I lately got a negative feel like microsoft are trying to use us to testing their patches instead they having to do testing internally.

Summoning = Win 10 the worse o.s. all microsoft story , bravely surpassed against another (vista pre-sp1 and sp2, win8, win me) of their old o.s. C'mon microsoft you can! Congrats!

Now keyboard input gets all messed up on my win10 laptop. Trying to play a game, then wondering why most of the control keys aren't working. Then I open an explorer window, type the letter "w" into the search bar and it closes the window! Things were fixed after doing ctrl-alt-del.

And now the OS denies me the right to kill an important process... steam.exe. Stop trying to be iOS. And Valve and the developers of the game* I was running need to learn about quality control too.

*I wanted to go into my game's forum to see if anyone else lost the ability to zoom using a touchpad. the latest update fixed it though.

Edited by win32

Throughout time, the number of processes to support my empty desktop, with my favorite tweaks and "to work" software:

• XP:  High teens.  100 MB.
  • Vista:  30 or so.   800 MB.
  • Win 7:  34.  1 GB.
  • Win 8.1:  42.  1.2 GB.
  • Win 10:  120.  4 GB. 

3x the processes prior versions had to rock, just to get anything done.  Says it all right there.  No wonder it really doesn't seem to run any better on modern hardware than prior versions did on the best hardware of 7 years ago.  And you can't really trim it down any more, for several reasons.

Back when we thought Vista, Win 7, and Win 8.1 were bloated, we simply didn't know what True Bloat was.

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

Insider Preview numbers move along:  Version 2004, Build 19536.1000.  A new Year is coming.  Lots of laughs in MS software and American politics. What is this theme?  Oh yes, crap.  :cool:  Just need to keep smiling and things will change.  Fertilizer is useful. :rolleyes: