[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Hi ! With all due respect  , please don't , you're posting in the wrong topic . This one is about Ex Kernel , not ISO installation . This marvellous topic (the top one here , I think) has already been polluted so many times . Please find the appropriate one. Besides , you're posting meaningless info . Here are the rules.

https://msfn.org/board/guidelines/

Sorry. I was just sharing this for the people who want to try this out, but don't want to wipe their currently installed OS. Rufus didn't work, but I'm hoping NT 6.x does.

EDIT: That didn't work. Produced a blue screen. If anyone wants to try and get external USB HDD working with Vista, be my guess. Everything you need is here, in this YT video. Anywho, that's the last I'll harp on this.

Edited by Jakob99

On 12/20/2020 at 11:27 PM, Jakob99 said:

Sorry. I was just sharing this for the people who want to try this out, but don't want to wipe their currently installed OS. Rufus didn't work, but I'm hoping NT 6.x does. EDIT: That didn't work. 

Hello , this topic is about Vista , so no discussion of any others like 6.1 . Do we really need to involve the moderators ?

On 12/20/2020 at 10:47 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

@win32 I suggest you to take a look on this build: Windows Vista build 5270

I managed to install it on my 3rd gen intel laptop (took 2 days, because it is really buggy) but I got logon failure simmilar to the Vista one, albeit I could not test more things due to missing drivers obviously. Maybe something has changed around this period. I can’t say really because any other build refused to install. 5048 was the worst one, I’ve never seen so many bsods trying to boot into preinstallation environment :D 

Edit: I’ve said 3rd gen, but I’ve meant 5th gen (idk how did I mislabeled them in my head).

Hi , could you be more specific about your CPU model ?  'cause I don't have anything , even remotely similar to what you've just described. Today I had a chance to test on Pentium G4620 and everything was pretty much similiar to Haswell Pentium . Logon bug from time to time , yes , but rarely .

Audio and licensing services may not start , yes , but rarely too. 

And the machine was quite usable. Services could be started manually.

5 hours ago, piotrhn said:

Can you try expand NT4.0??  yunior600 tried but his project is dead... ;/

This topic is about Vista and it's kernel , please create your own NEW topic and invite members there to discuss NT 4.0 . Dear @dencorso , please come to rescue and save this wonderful topic of off-topicers . It's really hard , especially today , we're under attack , bombarding with irrelevant info and quoting with huge sheets.

Thank you very much ! 

9 hours ago, Dixel said:

Hi , could you be more specific about your CPU model ?  'cause I don't have anything , even remotely similar to what you've just described. Today I had a chance to test on Pentium G4620 and everything was pretty much similiar to Haswell Pentium . Logon bug from time to time , yes , but rarely .

Audio and licensing services may not start , yes , but rarely too. 

And the machine was quite usable. Services could be started manually.

I'm not trying to prove, that it is unusable, just trying to help win32 locate when the problem started. Also my cpu is intel core i5-5300U since it is laptop, 16 missing drivers for vista sp2 makes this unusable. 

Just now, win32 said:

Yes, once the 32 bit kernel extensions are taken further.

Wow! I never would of expected this to be possible. Could it be possible that modern Intel CPUs above haswell may finally become stable on vista?

50 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

Wow! I never would of expected this to be possible. Could it be possible that modern Intel CPUs above haswell may finally become stable on vista?

I do think so, but it may be a little difficult to find the exact culprit (hal.dll's timer-related functions are virtually identical between 6002 and 6519, maybe somewhere else is a problem). Technically MS partially fixed them in a very recent update, but other users have told me the improvements are too marginal for me to do anything about them.

There is another option if I can never correct the problem in the files themselves, an "enforcer" that runs at boot that forces all services set to "automatic" to try and start again if they don't start initially, probably using sc.exe.

23 minutes ago, win32 said:

I do think so, but it may be a little difficult to find the exact culprit (hal.dll's timer-related functions are virtually identical between 6002 and 6519, maybe somewhere else is a problem). Technically MS partially fixed them in a very recent update, but other users have told me the improvements are too marginal for me to do anything about them.

There is another option if I can never correct the problem in the files themselves, an "enforcer" that runs at boot that forces all services set to "automatic" to try and start again if they don't start initially, probably using sc.exe.

Quick question by the way, I downloaded some November 2020 pack with preconfigured DLLs and when I copied the DLLs in, it had given me a BSOD about a thread terminating unexpectedly. The specific DLLs that were premade were nxtext, kernel32, user32, ole32, dwmapi, uxtheme, kernel32x86. Is this the right way to do this?

1 hour ago, Tonny52 said:

Quick question by the way, I downloaded some November 2020 pack with preconfigured DLLs and when I copied the DLLs in, it had given me a BSOD about a thread terminating unexpectedly. The specific DLLs that were premade were nxtext, kernel32, user32, ole32, dwmapi, uxtheme, kernel32x86. Is this the right way to do this?

What updates do you have?

54 minutes ago, win32 said:

What updates do you have?

I used the latest copy of WSUS offline that supports Vista, but it doesn't look like it installed any. I made a script to manually install the updates one at a time from the MSU files from a collection that I had. I will see what the results are after the updates finish. All the updates are the updates up to April 2017.

On 12/21/2020 at 5:24 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

I'm not trying to prove, that it is unusable, just trying to help win32 locate when the problem started. Also my cpu is intel core i5-5300U since it is laptop, 16 missing drivers for vista sp2 makes this unusable. 

Yes , I'm trying to help win32 too , why would you think otherwise ? And all I'm saying , Vista x64 is more stable on Pentiums than iCore line.

Edit : spent some time testing the new reduced ISO of Vista RTM x64 on my laptop with Pentium , without installing the HD drivers from Intel , mentioned earlier . The bug happened 4 times . Reboots in total - approx. 70 . So I'm absolutely sure the bug has nothing to do with the drivers . Also , the laptop doesn't have HPET settings in the BIOS. 

Edited by Dixel
added new info

16 hours ago, Dixel said:

why would you think otherwise ?

I actually don't. Just got the feeling of that from your previous post.

I wonder now, if microsoft changed some behavior to resemble xp if haswell is running okay on both xp and 7 but not on vista.