[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

5 hours ago, win32 said:

You can get newer versions of Steam working, but without the browser because of it being based on modern 32 bit Chromium.

The Chromium is x64, but Steam refuses to use Windows 7 x64 CEF because it detects Vista

Good news! I finally got the old version installed, I had to install Windows on pure Legacy MBR, the new version (with the installer) still breaks the OS though.

@win32 I can only run up to Firefox Quantum 64 and it can get laggy, is this an issue with the old version of the kernel? I probably need to try the new one later

Edited by ilwalaihr

3 hours ago, ilwalaihr said:

@win32 I can only run up to Firefox Quantum 64 and it can get laggy, is this an issue with the old version of the kernel? I probably need to try the new one later

I don't think so. Is ntext available at this point? If not you can use the even older procedure for getting Firefox 7x/8x working by replacing the ntdll function call RtlQueryPerformanceCounter with NtQueryInformationProcess in firefox.exe using CFF Explorer.

4 minutes ago, win32 said:

I don't think so. Is ntext available at this point? If not you can use the even older procedure for getting Firefox 7x/8x working by replacing the ntdll function call RtlQueryPerformanceCounter with NtQueryInformationProcess in firefox.exe using CFF Explorer.

I got these two errors.

Screenshot_2.png.a0f16663603eada02920d2215fedc15c.pngScreenshot_1.png.cd723a54d949c06aa929b489835bae2c.png

8 minutes ago, ilwalaihr said:

Screenshot_1.png.cd723a54d949c06aa929b489835bae2c.png

I have never seen this error, and this function is not even in the Windows 7 version of msvcrt. I would recommend installing the VC++ 2015-2019 runtimes.

BeamngDrive (latest version) DOES and DOESNT work

the x86 Executable cant find SHGetPropertyStoreForWindow. but the x64 executable will start. just cant load maps.

i am getting steam working to see if the latest version of Scrap Mechanic will work on vista.

Is there any chance to get XP Intel HD 4000 Haswell drivers working with the latest kernel ? Yes, I know no aero , but just like a temp. solution . Someone says it worked in compat. mode. Thanks

https://www.vistax64.com/threads/intel-hd-graphics-4000-drivers.302628/

1 minute ago, D.Draker said:

Is there any chance to get XP Intel HD 4000 Haswell drivers working with the latest kernel ? Yes, I know no aero , but just like a temp. solution . Someone says it worked in compat. mode. Thanks

https://www.vistax64.com/threads/intel-hd-graphics-4000-drivers.302628/

i couldnt get the onboard ethernet drivers on my PC for XP64-bit working on vista. (this board has no ethernet driver officially for vista as far as i know. it is a msi z77a-g43)

3 hours ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

i couldnt get the onboard ethernet drivers on my PC for XP64-bit working on vista. (this board has no ethernet driver officially for vista as far as i know. it is a msi z77a-g43)

What it has to do with video drivers ? Look at the last post from the link.

19 minutes ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

BeamngDrive (latest version) DOES and DOESNT work

I know. I actually asked them what has changed in 0.20 and they said that they changed their engine to implement dx11.1 (previously they used dx 11.0). But who knows what is really causing the issue.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:15 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

I know. I actually asked them what has changed in 0.20 and they said that they changed their engine to implement dx11.1 (previously they used dx 11.0). But who knows what is really causing the issue.

that explains why the 64-bit version just hangs after the fmod and beamng logos

btw when i open steam on vista the error reporter shows up in task manager then disappears. and steam gets stuck at connecting to steam account:

taskmgr.png

On 12/30/2020 at 3:13 PM, D.Draker said:

What it has to do with video drivers ? Look at the last post from the link.

i looked at an archived version of the intel page in a post in the link. i think it is odd how XPx64 is supported. but vista 32-bit and 64-bit are not

Untitled.png

Edited by ScrapMechanicFan2016
(added task manager for help with steam)

3 hours ago, ScrapMechanicFan2016 said:

that explains why the 64-bit version just hangs after the fmod and beamng logos

btw when i open steam on vista the error reporter shows up in task manager then disappears. and steam gets stuck at connecting to steam account:

taskmgr.png

Why do you need reporter ?! Create an empty file reporter.exe and replace with it.