On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

56 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I have reinstalled these four updates flawlessly. I get a fully loaded Microsoft Update site using HTTPSProxy (that's very good :D ) but when searching updates I get error code 0x80072F78 again. I tried to load it a several times. :no: See my screenshot

Windows XP Update Page 18.01.2022(4).jpg

Run this file to add Tls 1.2. Then restart the PC and call up Windows Update.

Tls 1.2.reg

On 1/18/2022 at 6:59 PM, maile3241 said:

Run this file to add Tls 1.2. Then restart the PC and call up Windows Update.

Tls 1.2.reg 403 B · 5 downloads

Ok, I've merged the reg file into my registry. The first two entries have been already there, only the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp was missing. After restarting my computer  when searching updates I get a new error code 0x80244004. Additionally I tried to modify the entries [SSL No-Verify] and [SSL Pass-Thru] of HTTPSProxy's config.ini without final success. Can you provide your entries in ProxHTTPSProxy's config.ini? And did you patch anything else or have you imported additional certificates? Here is my screenshot with error code 0x80244004:
https://imgur.com/yDfXPOc

Edited by AstroSkipper

35 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

Wow! It actually seems to work! I only needed to install KB4493435 since I had installed everything else already. @Dave-H 

VirtualBox_Windows XP_18_01_2022_16_14_30.png

Edited by xpandvistafan

30 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

Glad it works :thumbup

Yes, I am sure it was a lot of work. I never thought the web version of Windows Update would ever work again. You solved the problem in less than 10 days. Maybe you should also make a separate tutorial on how to install Microsoft Update too.

Edited by xpandvistafan

I have all the updates mentioned already installed, up to date root certificates, and the necessary entries in the Internet Options applet and in the ProxHTTPSProxy config.ini.
I'm still just getting error 0x80072F8F, saying my machine's clock probably isn't right.
It is, needless to say!
"Your computer's date and time appear to be out of sync with an update certificate"
So what am I missing?
A certificate presumably, but which one?
:dubbio:

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I have all the updates mentioned already installed, up to date root certificates, and the necessary entries in the Internet Options applet and in the ProxHTTPSProxy config.ini.
I'm still just getting error 0x80072F8F, saying my machine's clock probably isn't right.
It is, needless to say!
"Your computer's date and time appear to be out of sync with an update certificate"
So what am I missing?
A certificate presumably, but which one?

What fixed the issue for me was installing the ProxHTTPSProxy cert using the included certins folder. That fixed it and now it works. I got my version of ProxHTTPSProxy from i430vx.net. Also, make sure you have his TLS 1.2 file downloaded and import it into the registry, or else you will get the error 80072f78. 

Edited by xpandvistafan

11 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Try installing the certificate in the folder highlighted below.

Well, how about that; it works!

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

What certificate do you mean? cacert.pem in program folder of HTTPSProxy (using HTTPSProxy instead of ProxHTTPSProxy) or site certificates like fe2.update.microsoft.com.crt in cert folder of HTTPSProxy or what? Very confusing these comments in this topic. :wacko:

Yes, his response was a bit terse for my taste too, but I figured it out. So let me fill in the details a bit:

1. Download & extract the version of ProxHTTPSProxy at @i430VX's site: http://i430vx.net/files/XP/ProxHTTPSProxyMII_REV3d_PY344.7z
  2. The .7z has four folders. Open the folder labeled ProxHTTPSProxyMII_CertIns_Windows.
  3. It contains two .exe files: ProxHTTPS Cert Install.exe and ProxHTTPS Cert Uninstall.exe. Run the Install one.
  4. It won't seem to do anything, but it will silently install the needed certificate wherever it needs to go. It'd be nice to know exactly what it's doing; nonetheless, try Windows Update again, and you should get past the dreaded clock date/time error.

It's a bit of a moot point, since there aren't going to be any new updates; yet it's quite gratifying. I never thought I'd see that Web page again! :D

32 minutes ago, Mathwiz said:

It's a bit of a moot point, since there aren't going to be any new updates; yet it's quite gratifying. I never thought I'd see that Web page again! :D

Yes, but I do find the website faster than the MiniTool method. Sometimes, I am waiting 30 minutes to find updates with the MiniTool method. 

Edited by xpandvistafan

Well, I did all steps without any success. I tried ProxHTTPSProxy instead of HTTPSProxy, imported ca.cert and so on. I get different error codes dependent on entries in ProxHTTPSProxy's config.ini. @xpandvistafan Did you change these settings? What am I missing?

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Well, I did all steps without any success. I tried ProxHTTPSProxy instead of HTTPSProxy, imported ca.cert and so on. I get different error codes dependent on entries in ProxHTTPSProxy's config.ini. @xpandvistafan Did you change these settings? What am I missing?

Send me a private message about your problem to avoid confusion.

12 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

What fixed the issue for me was installing the ProxHTTPSProxy cert using the included certins folder. That fixed it and now it works. I got my version of ProxHTTPSProxy from i430vx.net. Also, make sure you have his TLS 1.2 file downloaded and import it into the registry, or else you will get the error 80072f78. 

That looks like the same version of ProxHTTPSProxy that I've already got, and its certificate is installed of course, or it won't work!
Is there a more recent one, that one looks like it's good until 2031!

Image1.thumb.png.61c69085e0cb374483cf7f802e4ce647.png