On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

52 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

Strange. I was able to fix the bug with this update. Did you add PosReady to the registry?

Yes, I did. I already installed the TLS 1.2 update as you can see in my above screenshot. I also did add PosReady to the registry otherwise I would not be able to install the update. Can you send a video of it working though?

20 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Yes, I did. I already installed the TLS 1.2 update as you can see in my above screenshot. I also did add PosReady to the registry otherwise I would not be able to install the update. Can you send a video of it working though?

There is a Video: Click here

On 1/15/2022 at 9:56 PM, xpandvistafan said:

It is really strange that it works on your system but not on mine though.

I just reinstalled windows xp on my other pc and installed the update and I get the same error as you. I will investigate the issue further.

Edited by maile3241

48 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

I just reinstalled windows xp on my other pc and installed the update and like you still get the error. I will investigate the issue further.

Okay, It is still really strange that only your 1 VM works and nothing else does. Maybe you have installed updates in your VM that I don't have.

2 hours ago, maile3241 said:

I just reinstalled windows xp on my other pc and installed the update and like you still get the error. I will investigate the issue further.

Also, how did you get Microsoft Update working? For me it tells me to install the ActiveX control in the information bar. But I don't see the install popup.

VirtualBox_Windows XP_15_01_2022_18_21_33.png

@Dave-H It looks we have gotten further now. maile3241 is able to download and install updates on his XP vm with ProxHTTPSProxy. He even sent a video further up on this page. I never thought Microsoft/Windows Update through the website would ever work again. He is currently figuring out the other errors people are getting. I am getting 80072f78, and ProxHTTPSProxy shows it tries to connect to the update server but gives an 500 error. 

9 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Also, how did you get Microsoft Update working? For me it tells me to install the ActiveX control in the information bar. But I don't see the install popup.

VirtualBox_Windows XP_15_01_2022_18_21_33.png

Microsoft Update must be added manually. To do this, copy this file (muweb.dll) to c:/windows/system32 and register it with regsvr32. After that, the information bar should appear.

Downloadlink: Click here

6 hours ago, maile3241 said:

Microsoft Update must be added manually. To do this, copy this file (muweb.dll) to c:/windows/system32 and register it with regsvr32. After that, the information bar should appear.

Downloadlink: Click here

Interesting how the file versions are different. What version of wuweb.dll do you have? Mine is 7.6.7600.256. muweb.dll is version 7.4.7600.226. 

17 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Interesting how the file versions are different. What version of wuweb.dll do you have? Mine is 7.6.7600.256. muweb.dll is version 7.4.7600.226. 

I have the same versions. But that doesn't matter. Have you activated Microsoft Update?

3 minutes ago, xpandvistafan said:

Yes, I have, get the same error, but 200 in ProxHTTPSProxy instead of 500. Still get 500 for Windows Update.

I'm working on the issue right now. What I can say is that this update, which you already have installed, is necessary for the search to work. It looks like another update is missing.

3 hours ago, maile3241 said:

I'm working on the issue right now. What I can say is that this update, which you already have installed, is necessary for the search to work. It looks like another update is missing.

Did you find the update that is missing?

KB938979 DO NOT INSTALL under any circumstances ! It disables the only known permanent signed driver requirement bypass (bcdedit.exe /set loadoptions ddisable_integrity_checks). Avoid installing it if you rely on unsigned drivers and don't want to use F8 every time you boot. Also , slows down the boot time .

8 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

KB938979 DO NOT INSTALL under any circumstances ! It disables the only known permanent signed driver requirement bypass (bcdedit.exe /set loadoptions ddisable_integrity_checks). Avoid installing it if you rely on unsigned drivers and don't want to use F8 every time you boot. Also , slows down the boot time .

KB938979 is for Vista. Not for Xp.