On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

That looks like the same version of ProxHTTPSProxy that I've already got, and its certificate is installed of course, or it won't work!
Is there a more recent one, that one looks like it's good until 2031!

Image1.thumb.png.61c69085e0cb374483cf7f802e4ce647.png

:dubbio:

Looks like you generated your own certificate. Mine is valid from 2015 to 2025. Maybe try reinstalling the certificate from the certins folder. Run the exe file.

VirtualBox_Windows XP_19_01_2022_07_31_01.png

Edited by xpandvistafan

I certainly didn't do anything knowingly to generate my own certificate.
My certificate was issued in June 2021, yours in October 2015, so I'm a bit loathe to now install an apparently older certificate.
:)

IIRC I must have updated the certificate using the details in cacert Update.txt.
The one you have appears to be the default CA.crt supplied with the program.
I don't see how installing an older certificate would make Windows Update suddenly work, surely it would need a newer certificate if anything.
As I use ProxHTTPSProxy for some important things, like keeping the certificate error popups away on my ancient Eudora e-mail client, which uses the IE engine to display messages, I don't want to risk messing it up by installing an old certificate.

Hello to all. First thanks all for your help! :worship: I've examined what was going wrong in my system. I found out that the patch in Restore_WU_XP_2003.7z didn't work in my system due to system file protection. The file wuaueng.dll was replaced by sfc. So I patched my sfc_os.dll in folder system32 to disable sfc. Here is a working instruction: 

After that patching I put the patched sfc_os.dll in both folder system32 and system32\dllcache. Now I was able to copy manually wuaueng.dll in both folders. But that was not enough. To get Microsoft Update working you have to edit config.ini in ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy shown in my screenshot. Now it works and I can use Microsoft Update in my Internet Explorer. See my screenshot! :cheerleader:

https://imgur.com/CmN76Au

https://imgur.com/re8X4cH

Edited by AstroSkipper
deletion

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello to all. First thanks all for your help! :worship: I've examined what was going wrong in my system. I found out that the patch in Restore_WU_XP_2003.7z didn't work in my system due to system file protection. The file wuaueng.dll was replaced by sfc. So I patched my sfc_os.dll in folder system32 to disable sfc. Here is a working instruction: 

After that patching I put the patched sfc_os.dll in both folder system32 and system32\dllcache. Now I was able to copy manually wuaueng.dll in both folders. But that was not enough. To get Microsoft Update working you have to edit config.ini in ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy shown in my screenshot. Now it works and I can use Microsoft Update in my Internet Explorer. See my screenshot! :cheerleader:

Windows XP Update Page 18.01.2022(7) (FILEminimizer).jpg

Windows XP Update Page 18.01.2022(6) (FILEminimizer).jpg

Excellent! On my other VM I have the problem that Windows briefly opens and closes the batch file. The file was not replaced either.

On 1/19/2022 at 6:52 PM, maile3241 said:

Excellent! On my other VM I have the problem that Windows briefly opens and closes the batch file. The file was not replaced either.

@maile3241 Once more, thanks for your great help! Glad it works for you too and I could help a bit. It wasn't easy to find the cause of my error codes (I had a lot of them) but my guess to edit config.ini of HTTPSProxy was correct. I have checked a lot of registry entries and files. Now I have tested Microsoft Update site several times and it works flawlessly. It found one update missing and I could install it from there. See my screenshot :thumbup

https://imgur.com/oAO72vT

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

https://msfn.org/board/profile/434640-maile3241/ Once more, thanks for your great help! Glad it works for you too and I could help a bit. It wasn't easy to find the cause of my error codes (I had a lot of them) but my guess to edit config.ini of HTTPSProxy was correct. I have checked a lot of registry entries and files. Now I have tested Microsoft Update site several times and it works flawlessly. It found one update missing and I could install it from there. See my screenshot :thumbup

Windows XP Update Page 18.01.2022(8) (FILEminimizer).jpg

You're welcome. Actually I wanted to ask what I can do if the Restore_WU_XP_2003 batch file is only briefly opened and then closed again.

5 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

You're welcome. Actually I wanted to ask what I can do if the Restore_WU_XP_2003 batch file is only briefly opened and then closed again.

Try removing 'exit' text in the file and running it from CMD so it will show where it fails

In my opinion this cmd file is not working properly. So I decided to disable sfc to do it manually where the batch file fails. You can do registry manipulation by reg file (copy the section in cmd file to reg file) and apply all patches which were executed. I did it and it works. I think this file has to be executed as admin.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

14 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

i get this error No matter which batch file.

wmic.exe is a WMI command-line program. Maybe you have to set a path to where it is located in your system (path command). I have it twice in c:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\ and c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\. Usually these paths already exist.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

7 hours ago, Dave-H said:

IIRC I must have updated the certificate using the details in cacert Update.txt.
The one you have appears to be the default CA.crt supplied with the program.
I don't see how installing an older certificate would make Windows Update suddenly work, surely it would need a newer certificate if anything.
As I use ProxHTTPSProxy for some important things, like keeping the certificate error popups away on my ancient Eudora e-mail client, which uses the IE engine to display messages, I don't want to risk messing it up by installing an old certificate.

Ok, I understand. It is strange that the past 2 methods for getting Windows Update working again, the WSUS Server method and this method, don't work for you but work for everyone else.

46 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

wmic.exe is a WMI command-line program. Maybe you have to set a path to where it is located in your system (path command). I have it twice in c:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\ and c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\. Usually these paths already exist.

How do I do that? Maybe you write me a private message.

23 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Yes, I am sure it was a lot of work. I never thought the web version of Windows Update would ever work again. You solved the problem in less than 10 days. Maybe you should also make a separate tutorial on how to install Microsoft Update too.

Yes, it was really a lot of work. I never thought this site would work again. I just hope this page stays and isn't removed by Microsoft.:unsure: I will then make an extra video to activate Microsoft Update.:D