On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

@maile3241 There were all three urls from the very first but no problem. Thanks for feedback.

So now I have a problem on my other PC. Sfc keeps replacing the wuaueng.dll file. I wanted to disable it but I keep getting "Error creating file"

20220121_194533.jpg

58 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

So now I have a problem on my other PC. Sfc keeps replacing the wuaueng.dll file. I wanted to disable it but I keep getting "Error creating file"

@maile3241 You have to copy sfc_os.dll to another folder or partition. There you can patch this file as described in this post

But you must pay attention to the version of your system. This patching instruction works for Windows XP Pro SP3 with sfc_os.dll file version 5.1.2600.3264 or higher. If you have Win XP without Servicepack or SP1 or SP2 it doesn't work. In these cases follow this German instruction of famous WinFAQ (and I know you are German): http://www.winfaq.de/faq_html/Content/tip0500/onlinefaq.php?h=tip0504.htm. After successful patching you have to replace the file first in system32\dllcache and then in system32. Then restart your computer and replace wuaueng.dll as described. I did the patching process by using HxD 2.4.0.0 Hexeditor.

By the way if you use an Hexeditor you can see whether there is the code you want to change or not. If you have problems to replace files due to blocking copy these files using an external boot medium like linux or WinPE. which gives you access to your folders and partitions.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

36 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@maile3241 You have to copy sfc_os.dll to another folder or partition. There you can patch this file as described in this post

But you must pay attention to the version of your system. This patching instruction works for Windows XP Pro SP3 with sfc_os.dll file version 5.1.2600.3264 or higher. If you have Win XP without Servicepack or SP1 or SP2 it doesn't work. In these cases follow this German instruction of famous WinFAQ (and I know you are German): http://www.winfaq.de/faq_html/Content/tip0500/onlinefaq.php?h=tip0504.htm. After successful patching you have to replace the file first in system32\dllcache and then in system32. Then restart your computer and replace wuaueng.dll as described. I did the patching process by using HxD 2.4.0.0 Hexeditor.

By the way if you use an Hexeditor you can see whether there is the code you want to change or not. If you have problems to replace files due to blocking copy these files using an external boot medium like linux or WinPE. which gives you access to your folders and partitions.

I've already looked at this page, but this only applies to Sp1 and 2. I have Sp3. rshx32.dll strangely worked

Edited by maile3241

4 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@maile3241 Please more explanation! I thought you want to patch sfc_os.dll. What is your problem? Why rshx32.dll?

Yes, I wanted to patch sfc_os.dll. You can also do the same with rshx32.dll. This worked without errors. I can't figure out why sfc_os.dll isn't working.

3 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

Yes, I wanted to patch sfc_os.dll. You can also do the same with rshx32.dll. This worked without errors. I can't figure out why sfc_os.dll isn't working

In my system patching of sfc_os.dll was no problem. Which file version do you have? And check the relevant offset using Hexeditor to compare code.

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H Maybe perform all steps in my new post:

As I told you I had a lot of troubles to restore MU in my system. I had all error codes someone could get. I think your error code has been one of them. Maybe you have a BIOS date/time problem due to low cmos battery but I don't think so. My advice: Do all the steps once again and do not miss anyone! You know Windows is very often a mystery. :crazy:

I've checked them all and everything is already done, and has been for a long time.
There is nothing wrong with my computer's clock.
I do think that very likely the error message I'm getting is a bit misleading, as they often are!
I don't think it's anything to do with clock settings, it's just that it's trying to use a certificate which is either missing or expired.
There is a certificate in my list of Intermediate Certificate Authorities called "Microsoft Update Secure Server CA 1".
It expired on 9th May 2021.
I wonder if that's the problem?
The file is attached.
Anyone any Idea how I can update it to a valid version?
:dubbio:

MSUpdateCert.cer

On 1/20/2022 at 8:50 AM, Dave-H said:

I went back to the version of CA.crt which came with ProxHTTPSProxy, and MS Update then didn't work at all, "unable to display page" (Error number: 0x80072F7D).

That's the same error code you were getting before you updated your config.ini. I think ProxHTTPSProxy isn't working with the original CA.crt.

Try this:

• Rename the working (new) CA.crt and the ...\Certs folder so you can revert if things go sideways
  • Create a new (empty) ...\Certs folder
  • Run the cert. installer program from @i430VX's version of ProxHTTPSProxy (you don't need to install his version; just run that program). That will put @heinoganda's original CA.crt out there and make it a trusted root cert.
  • Try again - if it still fails, you can reverse the above steps. You'll have to reinstall your new CA.crt as a trusted root again.