On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019

Mcinwwl

1 hour ago, xpandvistafan said:

Are you using an unauthorized product key? Online activation is very particular about that.

Short answer "yes" because at the installation, the key works. but the activation it's currently not

May I kindly ask you if this thread has been changed its title to "How to activate Windows XP with a key of doubtful or rather illegal origin"? The last three pages are about activation problems with such keys. I thought the title of this thread is "On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019". Do the poster of these contents really know that? I don't think so. This thread is totally bloated and polluted with off-topic comments. I am no longer interested in posting new solutions or fixes here in this thread.

PS: BTW I think there are other places to talk about such kind of stuff! :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
addition

Fair comment, and can I remind everyone that any discussion of illegal activities is expressly forbidden here.
Take it to PM if necessary, but conversations about dubious product keys are definitely not allowed on the open forum.
:)

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The last three pages are about activation problems with such keys.

:worship:

I tend to ignore all of the "update servers" discussions.  All I saw was post after post after post on the "Unread Content" page.

My OS's are legit (two of them have been swapped between computers the OS actually came with, XP isn't tied to hardware and I've always assumed it's okay to swap [swapped XP x64 to faster CPU]).

I've always slipstreamed updates and never relied on Windows Updates.

Mainly because I never wanted to spend 20 minutes to install an OS but then the next 4 hours "updating" the OS.

I haven't been following the thread so apologies if this has already been covered.

The way I do my XP installs (reinstalls are always on the same exact hardware with the exception of moving XP x64 to a faster machine) is by keeping and archiving my wpa.dbl file.

Once you legally activate your XP, it creates this file and it does somehow contain the hardware information also - you can not use this file from one computer to the next.

But the advantage in keeping it is that your computer can be activated without any Microsoft server or telephone call to Microsoft (ie, Microsoft could fall of the face of the earth but my XP remains usable).

My slipstreamed media has this file dated 2009 so I've been activating every install since just by copying this file over to my new install.

Not sure if that is of any help towards the purpose of this thread, but I throw it out there just in case.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

:worship:

I tend to ignore all of the "update servers" discussions.  All I saw was post after post after post on the "Unread Content" page.

Thanks for replying! This thread had been an interesting and informative one in the past. It made fun to read solutions how to restore functionality of Microsoft's Update Servers, to discuss them and to assist each other. But some weeks ago the number of totally off-topic comments was increasing extremely. For me it doesn' t matter what kind of content and quality these comments provide. BTW in most cases rather low. Anyway, this is a thread about the Update Servers of WU and MU, nothing else. All is about updating the OSs Windows 2000, XP and maybe Vista. But some especially new members killed this thread by polluting it with totally off-topic content and requests. And it seems I'm one of the few members to voice this grievance or maybe the only one. :angry:

49 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks for replying! This thread had been an interesting and informative one in the past. It made fun to read solutions how to restore functionality of Microsoft's Update Servers, to discuss them and to assist each other. But some weeks ago the number of totally off-topic comments was increasing extremely. For me it doesn' t matter what kind of content and quality these comments provide. BTW in most cases rather low. Anyway, this is a thread about the Update Servers of WU and MU, nothing else. All is about updating the OSs Windows 2000, XP and maybe Vista. But some especially new members killed this thread by polluting it with totally off-topic content and requests. And it seems I'm one of the few members to voice this grievance or maybe the only one. :angry:

You stand a point. But, the best we can do is ignore the OT, especially when they sometimes violate MSFN rules. :)

18 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

You stand a point. But, the best we can do is ignore the OT, especially when they sometimes violate MSFN rules. :)

Sorry, no. Ignoring off-topic comments, especially if violating MSFN rules? No way. I am a man having a point of view and sometimes one has to say what has to be said. And then it's ok and we can make our decisions what to do next. For me, that's the way. I don't want to bust my head in the sand. I am not an ostrich! :buehehe: But anyway, thanks for your point of view! :)

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

May I kindly ask you if this thread has been changed its title to "How to activate Windows XP with a key of doubtful or rather illegal origin"? The last three pages are about activation problems with such keys. I thought the title of this thread is "On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019". Do the poster of these contents really know that? I don't think so. This thread is totally bloated and polluted with off-topic comments. I am no longer interested in posting new solutions or fixes here in this thread.

PS: BTW I think there are other places to talk about such kind of stuff! :yes:

Now I know this topic (back in 2019) talk about activation but now it talk about WU/MU