Jump to content

On decommissioning of update servers for 2000, XP, (and Vista?) as of July 2019


Mcinwwl
 Share

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, LonghornXP said:

What next? WU shows the date and time error

gambar.png

This is an old, well-known error! For more information: 

BTW, it doesn't matter whether XP or Vista. Getting the error code 0x80072f8f while accessing the WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy always means to install its CA certificate to Trusted Root Certification Authority under the account local computer.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

in windows 2000 sp3/sp4, you might need to install kb835732 or update roll up 1 to be able to run the visual c++ 2008 installer.

(below comment is not related to windows 2000)

for those of you that had proxhttpsproxy v1.3a previously working and now isnt.

you might need to rename certs folder to something else so that it creates another certs folder with non-corrupt certificates.

proxyhttpsproxy v1.3a can create non-working certificates especially if you close it unwarrantedly or you had a bsod (happened to me).

Edited by ward201185
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ward201185 said:

and you might need to install kb835732 or update roll up 1 to be able to run the visual c++ 2008 installer.

and for those of you that had proxhttpsproxy v1.3a previously working and now isnt.

you might need to rename certs folder to something so that it creates another certs folder with non-corrupt certificates.

proxyhttpsproxy v1.3a can create non-working certificates especially if you close it unwarrantedly or you had a bsod (happened to me).

No, this update is not necessary at all.  I tested it myself some time ago and it worked perfectly.  The only problem is the certificate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, maile3241 said:

No, this update is not necessary at all.  I tested it myself some time ago and it worked perfectly.  The only problem is the certificate.

what are you referring to?

is it the visual c++ 2008 installer or the other?

im pretty sure that for windows 2000 sp3, you needed to install kb835732 or visual c++ 2008 installer wont run due to missing functions.

windows 2000 sp4 has the same error, just tested it under a fresh install so you still need kb835732 or update rollup 1.

im only stating the other solution cause it took me a while to figure out nothing was actually wrong with my windows xp installation and i wanted to give a clue to anyone getting similar problems.

this happened to me multiple times and each time, i would be utterly confused.

in fact just recently, proxhttpsproxy v1.3a somehow created a corrupt certificate and both windows update and microsoft update was spitting out invalid certificate authority errors (forgot the error code, i think it was 0x80072F0C) until i just remembered i had a similar issue and renamed the certs folder.

Edited by ward201185
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2022 at 8:35 AM, WULover said:

Hello, now I get the error number 0XC00042D...

It was working 2 days ago, and now it doesn't Work...

I have all patches installed, and Proxhttpsproxy running.

It sent 3 requests to client.asmx and then stopped, with a message from the proxy "connection closed" or something like that.

This happens in Windows Update and Microsoft Update.

are you sure its 0xC00042D?

i dont think that error code exists.

you might mean 0xC800042D and i've taken this from a website so hopefully it says something to you.

"WHEN 'C800042D' THEN hrVersionStoreOutOfMemory: Generally reported when the WUA is unable to update %WINDIR%\\SoftwareDistribution folder."

Edited by ward201185
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, ward201185 said:

what are you referring to?

is it the visual c++ 2008 installer or the other?

im pretty sure that for windows 2000 sp3, you needed to install kb835732 or visual c++ 2008 installer wont run due to missing functions.

windows 2000 sp4 has the same error, just tested it under a fresh install so you still need kb835732 or update rollup 1.

im only stating the other solution cause it took me a while to figure out nothing was actually wrong with my windows xp installation and i wanted to give a clue to anyone getting similar problems.

this happened to me multiple times and each time, i would be utterly confused.

in fact just recently, proxhttpsproxy somehow created a corrupt certificate and both windows update and microsoft update was spitting out invalid certificate authority errors (forgot the error code) until i just remembered i had a similar issue and renamed the certs folder.

It is now about Vista not about Win 2000

Link to comment
Share on other sites

well, somebody could still benefit from what i posted assuming nobody came across this issue and shared a workaround.

it could also still apply to vista because the problem is from certificate files being created improperly inside the certs folder, it has nothing to do with windows.

Edited by ward201185
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ward201185 said:

are you sure its 0xC00042D?

i dont think that error code exists.

you might mean 0xC800042D and i've taken this from a website so hopefully it says something to you.

"WHEN 'C800042D' THEN hrVersionStoreOutOfMemory: Generally reported when the WUA is unable to update %WINDIR%\\SoftwareDistribution folder."

Thanks for your reply, but I don't know what that means...

What do I have to do to solve the problem ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, WULover said:

Thanks for your reply, but I don't know what that means...

What do I have to do to solve the problem ?

you might be out of disk space.

if not then try renaming softwaredistribution folder in c:\windows to something else.

Edited by ward201185
Link to comment
Share on other sites

if that didnt help then maybe you have bad sectors?

check your hdd with crystal disk info and look if theres any raw values from reallocated sector count.

according to some old post here in this thread, if you have office 2010 installed then check if you have KB4484373 and KB4484458 installed then try uninstalling them.

problems anyone experiences when using windows update may not always be the fault of proxhttpsproxy v1.3a so check exactly what you have done before it failed.

that is if deleting the certs folder didnt fix the problem (i tried corrupting the certificate and was able to get several error codes which could also be caused from other various reasons so it may not be obvious that deleting the certs folder will fix the issue).

Edited by ward201185
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ward201185 said:

and you might need to install kb835732 or update roll up 1 to be able to run the visual c++ 2008 installer.

and for those of you that had proxhttpsproxy v1.3a previously working and now isnt.

you might need to rename certs folder to something so that it creates another certs folder with non-corrupt certificates.

proxyhttpsproxy v1.3a can create non-working certificates especially if you close it unwarrantedly or you had a bsod (happened to me).

@ward201185! Such comments without any indication of which operating system you are referring to are useless to other readers. Only the initiated can see that you actually mean Windows 2000. On the subject of dummy certificates in ProxHTTPSProxy's Certs subfolder, a brief clarification: 

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@ward201185! Such comments without any indication of which operating system you are referring to are useless to other readers. Only the initiated can see that you actually mean Windows 2000. On the subject of dummy certificates in ProxHTTPSProxy's Certs subfolder, a brief clarification: 

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

sorry for that, i have edited the post hopefully so it makes it clear to other people.

i mentioned proxhttpsproxy v1.3a for a reason and i didnt mention that newer versions have this issue so this may not apply to newer versions.

proxhttpsproxy v1.3a doesnt seem to force-reset the certs or replace the certs if they are invalid.

you can create a junk file and replace one of the .crt files and proxhttpsproxy v1.3a will simply error at the access of a website with the invalid certificate.

Edited by ward201185
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...