New British aircraft carrier equipped with Windows XP

Roffen

Surprisingly, I got a readable translation from Google Translate. "When you buy a ship, you do not buy it today, you bought it 20 years ago." I don't see why this can't apply to computers too. Big corporations just want us to throw old technology out and buy new for no reason. I'd replace the boot logo with one of the navy, put the classic theme on, and confuse the journalists into thinking it is Windows 2000.

Actually, no, according to BBC.

I was listening BBC Radio 4, and they said that although machines have been tested using Windows XP, once the aircraft will be fully operational, it won't use Windows at all. It's gonna use a custom OS made out of Unix, instead. They were talking about something called BAE (or something like that). 

Edited by FranceBB

Anyway it is 99% some "fake" news.

It seems like it originated a couple years ago when someone saw the screen of a technician's laptop that (with some sense of humour) had an XP looking background.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/15/windows_xp_royal_navy/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/12/18/windows_for_warships_not_on_queen_elizabeth_class_aircraft_carriers/

Hard to say how it re-surfaced.

In any case some of HMS's do run a (obviously "special") version of Microsoft OS's:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ukgovernment/2008/12/17/windows-for-submarines/

jaclaz

12 hours ago, FranceBB said:

They were talking about something called BAE (or something like that). 

BAE is a military technology company, BAE Systems. Although, I recall there was a thing called BAE Linux at some point in the past.

20 hours ago, j7n said:

Surprisingly, I got a readable translation from Google Translate. "When you buy a ship, you do not buy it today, you bought it 20 years ago." I don't see why this can't apply to computers too. Big corporations just want us to throw old technology out and buy new for no reason. I'd replace the boot logo with one of the navy, put the classic theme on, and confuse the journalists into thinking it is Windows 2000.

I think the Web is the primary driver of planned obsolescence in today's computers.

Try surfing with an old Web browser; say, Opera 12. You'll run into all sorts of major sites (e.g., Facebook) that just don't quite work right, even if they worked fine a year or two ago.

So if you surf the Web, you need to use a reasonably up-to-date browser. Doesn't have to be absolutely the latest, but it can't be too old. And so, you need an OS that will run reasonably up-to-date browsers.

Right now, in the Windows line, XP is about as far back as one can easily surf the Web with. Maybe 2000, with some difficulty; but 98 or ME will be really tough slogs. There just isn't a new enough browser that will run on those OSes.

P.S. I like the classic theme too.

I agree with you. I use Opera daily, but avoid heavy javascript-based sites, such as the new MSFN. Windows 2000 or XP is probably just fine for a special purpose built computer, if parts that aren't essential for the application are shut off, such as file and printer sharing and web browser. With every new version, Windows has taken on more functionality, and of course security issues in every one of those components. Luna theme and with clouds and the green start button is a hard to imagine on a military ship...

On 30.06.2017 at 0:06 AM, j7n said:

"When you buy a ship, you do not buy it today, you bought it 20 years ago."

I've been interested in military since childhood days, and this matches what I've read years ago in polish 'Nowa Technika Wojskowa' monthly magazine. And no, no chances I'll be able to find THE article once again in reasonable time :> They simply wrote that, while making military contract, you never look for newest, just dispatched IT technology, and its infancy bugs are not the deal - in fact these things are loosing they price shortly after release, and due to the length of military contracts all the procedures, production and implementation are so lengthy, that whatever you do, technology IS obsolete when being dispatched. So why to overpay :>