Spoofing Firefox 53 (and newer versions) on Windows 2000 and XP

Thanks; I'll make the appropriate updates to myuseragents.js (posted on page 8) and re-upload it. I'll also change the OS version on the github*.com overrides from 6.0 (Vista) to 6.1 (Win 7). I doubt Github even looks at the OS version, but just in case they decide to start someday....

In fact I should probably bump the OS version on most of these to 6.3 (Win 8.1) soon; due to Win 7's impending EoS it's likely that some sites will start complaining about 6.1 next year.

(BTW, changing the OS version in the UA won't fool every Web site; it's possible to get the true OS version with JavaScript, unless you run the browser itself with a utility that spoofs the OS. Hopefully, though, most sites that look at the OS version don't go any deeper than the UA.)

29 minutes ago, siria said:

To fake the OS which gets reported by javascript, hope this pref still works:
general.oscpu.override = Windows NT 6.3

I just tested this on NM28/UXP and it still does! :thumbup Test site to verify:

http://browserspy.dk/browser.php

(Please note this pref doesn't modify the reported Windows NT version contained in the User Agent String (navigator.userAgent), so a website checking both strings via JS may get conflicting results:

jvjWpgl.jpg

) :)

• 3 months later...

I use extension «User Agent Switcher» (by Chris Pederick, https://chrispederick.com/) to quickly change UserAgent.
Unfortunately, the author has not updated this extension since 2011.
Last official build - 0.7.3.1 (January 4th, 2011).
The build 0.7.3.1 can not spoofed property «navigator.oscpu» and real version OS is visible.
I changed the build 0.7.3.1 - added a property "navigator.oscpu" for spoofing. Checked in FF 52.9.0, Serpent and MyPal.

My unofficial build 0.7.3.2 in the attachment and here - https://www.upload.ee/files/10968463/user_agent_switcher-0.7.3.2-unofficial-fx_sm.xpi.html

user_agent_switcher-0.7.3.2-unofficial-fx+sm.xpi

screenshot.png

Edited by Dr. Drill

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2019 at 8:59 AM, Mathwiz said:

I should probably bump the OS version on most of these to 6.3 (Win 8.1) soon; due to Win 7's impending EoS it's likely that some sites will start complaining about 6.1 next year.

And, done. Also:

1. removed the SSUAO for YouTube to v.42, since it will stop working soon
  2. put in a general.useragent.override to version 60.9. Newer versions of MCP's UXP-based browsers (PM/NM 28, Basilisk/Serpent 52) are now reporting 68.9, but that causes more problems than it solves IMO.

Updated version is here:

As always, feel free to modify the myuseragents.js file (or override in about:config) as desired to fit your own browser and the Web sites you visit.

have I got this correct ?

Create A txt File With Following
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
pref("general.config.filename", "config.js");
Name It config-prefs.js
Place Here C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref

Create a txt File With Following
// needs to start with a comment line
Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/Services.jsm");
Services.obs.addObserver(function (aSubject, aTopic, aData) {
  var chromeWindow = aSubject;
  chromeWindow.setTimeout(function () {
    Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/UserAgentOverrides.jsm", chromeWindow);
    chromeWindow.UserAgentOverrides.init();
  }, 1000);
}, "browser-delayed-startup-finished", false);
Name it config.js
And Place Here C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox

Now you can use useroverride strings

this is what i used to have and the general.useragent.override.xxxxxx would work now they don't

I would have  general.useragent.override  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0

then general.useragent.override.whatismybrowser  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:73.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/73.0

and whatismy browser would read i am upto date on 8.1 FF 73,,, now it seems as if it is sniffing out the correct version as being on

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:56.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/56.0

where have i gone wrong

Would someone be kind enough to help here can;t figure this out

most if not all site are ok except facebook  (on Firefox 52.9)

the time line is fine But the profile page looks like i am on a mobile app, instead of  profile pic to corner of cover pic, its in centre below,

and text is in black Not blue, and some links greyed out, 

now i have all the correct UA's in place

thinking it was my PC i tried a different PC with 52.9 still same, but using facebook on chrome  49.0 on both PC's its no change way its supposed to be

So I tried my sons Win7 Lappy with FF 66.0 quantum still  same lookinging like a mobile app, but on his chrome 49 looks old way

i had a play with the UA and came up with this

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.112 Safari/537.36

this does fool FB thinking I am on chrome 49.0 even tho I am FF 52.9 (here is the but)

althou I have HTML5 (primetime and widevine going) its works ok usung the UA I should but using the

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.112 Safari/537.36

it breaks the html videos, it tries to play &/or tries to open in theatre instead of in FF and stops

has FB become biased against FF

it can;t be my 2 PC's with FF, as I tried 4 different FF on 4 different PC's even much much newer FF

or has FB enforced a change me, it does look nasty

some people i spoke to are having no problems

is there another UA I could use

• 8 months later...

In order to resolve the BBC problem of non-playing programmes with Firefox on  XP since the beginning of November the following statement must be added to about:config :

general.useragent.override , and make the value: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 7.0; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/73.0

Thus implemented and Firefox restarted will effectively remove the 'ban' on all broadcasts on all programmes on BBC i-player :)

enjoy ;)

• 2 months later...

Hello and nice day to everyone here at MSFN :)

Ok, so I have 'issues' (of course, re computers, ha) ... currently, here, JS is enabled on here (genuine useragent) ; however, as you can see below, I'm testing  a profile (Serpent52) with JS disabled globally. I've (indeed) tried your advice re 'general.oscpu.override' as well as "general.useragent.override'  both set to read as Windows 10.

user_pref("general.oscpu.override", "Windows NT 10.0");
user_pref("general.platform.override", "");
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0");

However, as you can (clearly) see, my OS is still being detected ??? I'm literally racking (what's left) of my brain here and am at a loss. I've been reading and reading and reading here for 2 hours plus and cannot come up with a solution, so I turn to ask for your opinion.

Any advice appreciated in advance..

Have a good weekend :)

918068135_nojs.thumb.JPG.ea4c5eb50ea9596ef2109284f9306b37.JPG

On 9/17/2019 at 10:40 AM, siria said:

To fake the OS which gets reported by javascript, hope this pref still works:

On 9/17/2019 at 11:19 AM, VistaLover said:

I just tested this on NM28/UXP and it still does! :thumbup Test site to verify:

http://browserspy.dk/browser.php

(Please note this pref doesn't modify the reported Windows NT version contained in the User Agent String (navigator.userAgent), so a website checking both strings via JS may get conflicting results:

jvjWpgl.jpg

) :)

Edited by XPerceniol

29 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

I'm testing a profile (Serpent52) with JS disabled globally
(snipped)
my OS is still being detected

Disabling Javascript in your browser won't protect you at all from "Remote OS detection via TCP/IP Stack FingerPrinting", which is what appears to have happened in your posted screengrab... :( More stuff for you to read, am afraid... :sneaky:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_stack_fingerprinting

Thank u, @VistaLover for your fast and helpful reply. Indeed - I do have some more reading to do - will check out your link and get a better understanding.

And I thought my use of TCP/IP https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Harden-It.shtml

Was saving my butt all this time.. Lol

Have a good one :)

Edited by XPerceniol

• 10 months later...
On 2/12/2021 at 9:45 AM, XPerceniol said:

I've (indeed) tried your advice re 'general.oscpu.override' as well as "general.useragent.override'  both set to read as Windows 10.

user_pref("general.oscpu.override", "Windows NT 10.0");
user_pref("general.platform.override", "");
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0");

Very late reply, I know; but if you want to be consistent, general.oscpu.override should be the full OS slice of your user agent; i.e., Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64. And general.platform.override should be Win64. My understanding is that the Javascript functions they affect have been deprecated, but Serpent still supports them and some Web sites may still use them. If they're not consistent with each other, the site may realize something's up and refuse to work.

Also, weird discovery (at least with Serpent): while SSUAOs take immediate effect, the global general.useragent.override pref requires a browser restart after changing it! Apparently it's read into memory at startup and not checked again.

22 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Very late reply, I know; but if you want to be consistent, general.oscpu.override should be the full OS slice of your user agent; i.e., Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64. And general.platform.override should be Win64. My understanding is that the Javascript functions they affect have been deprecated, but Serpent still supports them and some Web sites may still use them. If they're not consistent with each other, the site may realize something's up and refuse to work.

Also, weird discovery (at least with Serpent): while SSUAOs take immediate effect, the global general.useragent.override pref requires a browser restart after changing it! Apparently it's read into memory at startup and not checked again.

Hello and nice day; @Mathwiz better late than never.

I am always a day late and (more than) a dollar short :)

So, I've actually changed my UA as it came into light that since I'm actually running a 32 bit browser, the sites would be able to tell and feed the bower 64 bit ... I don't recall whom said this on here, but somebody said sites feed 64 bit worth of crap and only slows it down further, so better to report as 32 bit.

I've been experimenting with FF5.9.1 and Serpent. I've (since) given up on FF now but was able to spoof only up to 62, but that is where it ended with that one - 63 and youtube didn't work at all. A spoof to 62 also worked with 45ESR and I had better results overall. Not that issue with Serpent. I no longer use New Moon for that matter, but may change my mind again depending on the future of Roytam's projects. I've found the 91 or 78 and things seem to work better compare to 'as is'.

I didn't know that so thank you, so now have changed general.oscpu.override. Since I'm no longer spoofing a 64 bit OS as there was a win 10 32 bit version, presumably I don't even need to change  general.platform.override any longer; yes/no?

Sometimes, some sites seem to react better to FF78, but I've noticed things are changing so fast and things that worked even last month aren't the same :(

user_pref("general.oscpu.override", "Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86");
user_pref("general.useragent.compatMode.version", "91");
user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0");

Thank you very much for you help and advice and happy holidays to you and yours ;)

Edited by XPerceniol

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I don't recall whom said this on here, but somebody said sites feed 64 bit worth of crap and only slows it down further, so better to reply as 32 bit.

It was me . Yes , your UA choice is very wise . Always choose a low end device (if mobile) and a 32-bit OS. They will load less scripts .

This one works good too.

Mozilla/5.0 (BeSTOSEver) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

Wow .. hey friend, that was fast :) I do now recall it was you that wrote that somewhere here in some discussion. My memory is fuzzy at times but I remember bits and pieces I see.

Thank you for that advice as well, I will give that a UA a whirl.

I hope you somehow find a way to enjoy what you can from the holidays even if the light and scents. Well, it should be quiet for me and I think I need it to be that way :)

Edited by XPerceniol