Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Jody Thornton

So what's new and exciting these days at Microsoft?   Windows 10 version upgrade woes?  Oh those are  old and rancid!   What concerns US?   What's waiting in the Windows Update Catalog?  Well, here are some updates for Windows Server 2008 R2, which is maybe officially for some neighbors of ours, but which we might quietly appropriate and enjoy as well ...

KB4488661 NET Framework 2.0 update

KB4488666 NET Framework 4.6 update

KB4488869 NET Framework 4.52 update

KB4489873 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9

KB4489876 Security Only update for March 2019

KB4489880 Security and Monthly Quality Rollup for March 2019

KB4489489 Security and Quality Rollup for NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 4.5.3, and 4.6  -- contains KB4488661, KB4488666, KB4488869, plus the old regulars  mspatchregfix, KB3078602, and KB4020478.

Not so much to shout about actually, since MS's shoving what used to be a half dozen or more patches into one "rollup" .

Oh well.   One more minor thing, I'm expecting to move very shortly, and my internet interfacing may be a bit ... irregular... for a time (my beloved PC will be in a box in a storage cubicle for a couple of months unless I'm damn lucky, I'm trying to say).    Granted, I haven't been doing anything really essential to GreenHillManiac's operations, so I expect things to continue smoothly.  But if anyone is curious about my sudden silence , that'll be the reason.  

Edited by mike_shupp

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/29/2019 at 2:06 AM, Blados said:

Your list is missing KB4490128, which is a timezone update.

that's because KB4490128 was released Friday 3/22, Blados.

mike_shupp only edited his post on Tuesday 3/19 and was not fully aware that KB4490128 would come later in March

Edited by erpdude8

• 2 weeks later...

Mar 2019
KB4489876 Security Only update
IE -KB4489873

Apr 2019
KB4493730 - Servicing stack update
KB4493458 - Security Only update
IE -KB4493435

All above installed without trouble. So far, so good.

--------------------------------------

April 2019 Updates

2019-04 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Server 2008 (KB4493435)

2019-04 Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB4493458)

2019-04 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2008 (KB4493471)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - April 2019 (KB890830)

Servicing stack update for Windows Server 2008 SP2: April 9, 2019
Security Update for Windows Server 2008 (KB4493730)

Known Issues
Restart stuck on "Stage 2 of 2" or "Stage 3 of 3"

After you install a servicing stack update together with other updates, a restart may be required to complete the installation. During this restart, you may find yourself stuck at a particular stage and see a "Stage 2 of 2" or "Stage 3 of 3" message.

If you experience this issue, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to continue to log on. This should occur only one time and does not prevent updates from installing successfully.

Note In managed environments, such as by using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), you can avoid this issue by deploying this update as a standalone update.

:)

Edited by Ruan
Fix Link

An interesting little change I noticed in the April 2019 update rollup:

JGXrD4c.png

For those that didn't notice, since 2009 with the release of SP2, Windows Vista's build number has been 6.0.6002 (while SP1 was build 6001, and RTM 6000). However, with the new rollup, Vista's build number has been changed to build 6.0.6003. At first I wondered if this was an error/discrepancy on MS's part, but turns out the change was intentional, according to this article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4495374/build-number-changing-to-6003-in-windows-server-2008

Just an interesting little thing I thought I'd point out :) This change doesn't seem to affect functionality of anything though (at least not that I'm aware of), which is good.

On 4/13/2019 at 8:32 PM, WinClient5270 said:

For those that didn't notice, since 2009 with the release of SP2, Windows Vista's build number has been 6.0.6002 (while SP1 was build 6001, and RTM 6000). However, with the new rollup, Vista's build number has been changed to build 6.0.6003. At first I wondered if this was an error/discrepancy on MS's part, but turns out the change was intentional, according to this article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4495374/build-number-changing-to-6003-in-windows-server-2008

Just an interesting little thing I thought I'd point out :) This change doesn't seem to affect functionality of anything though (at least not that I'm aware of), which is good.

Interesting indeed! However, the final paragraph of the article suggests the possibility of broken applications. :unsure:

Hi,

i would like to warn you about installing april updates for server 2008 on vista. My os is unstable after the april rollup. They are some changes being made to win32k which makes my vista x64 really unstable. Even build number is different now. i will keep you updated, but if you dont have to you should not install it. (kb4493458) 

2019-04-20 00_01_58-O produktu Windows.png

16 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

i would like to warn you about installing april updates for server 2008 on vista. My os is unstable after the april rollup. They are some changes being made to win32k which makes my vista x64 really unstable. Even build number is different now

... Thanks for the heads-up; Vista SP2's build number change has been already reported: 

In fact, I do believe your post should've been originally submitted to that thread (Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista), as the one here is marked "Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008"; please submit any follow-up to that, more appropriate, Vista thread... ;)

I'd be keen to hear from other Vista users as well about eventual OS instability as a result of installing KB4493458 (but, please, in the dedicated thread I linked to...) :dubbio:

8 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Thanks for the heads-up; Vista SP2's build number change has been already reported: 

In fact, I do believe your post should've been originally submitted to that thread (Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista), as the one here is marked "Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008"; please submit any follow-up to that, more appropriate, Vista thread... ;)

I'd be keen to hear from other Vista users as well about eventual OS instability as a result of installing KB4493458 (but, please, in the dedicated thread I linked to...) :dubbio:

im sorry, i was just little upset cause i can´t use my vista laptop properly now. I hope next update will fix it.

12 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

im sorry, i was just little upset cause i can´t use my vista laptop properly now. I hope next update will fix it.

It is generally possible to remove updates via Installed Updates - however that one may have made extensive registry changes. I have avoided it. (I did install the latest update for IE9, which did not change the build number or break anything.) If you have an up-to-date backup image, this might be a good time to restore from it. Have you noticed any broken applications?

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

It is generally possible to remove updates via Installed Updates - however that one may have made extensive registry changes. I have avoided it. (I did install the latest update for IE9, which did not change the build number or break anything.) If you have an up-to-date backup image, this might be a good time to restore from it. Have you noticed any broken applications?

well, basically if i try to start virtual machine, my os throw bluescreen. Sometimes when i start my laptop explorer.exe crashes or it just random throws bluscreen with error like win32k something..

Happy Easter, everybody! I am the Easter bunny bringing my Easter eggs:

• Replaced Monthly Rollup with the new KB4493471 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added a new Servicing Stack update KB4493730 (located on the root directory of the repository)
  • Added Security Only Updates, KB4489876 and KB4493458 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Replaced Internet Explorer Cumulative Update with KB4493435 (located in the folder "/Security Only (Post August 2018)")
  • Added .NET Updates:
    -KB4488661 for .NET 2.0 SP2 (located in "/NET 2.0 SP2")
    -KB4488669 for .NET 4.5.2 (located in "/NET 4.5.2")
    -KB4488666 for .NET 4.6-4.6.1 (located in "/NET 4.6-4.6.1")
  • Added Extra updates KB4490128 (located in "/Extras") with an updated readme file

A few notes, as usual: the build number bump is certainly an interesting phenomenon, but sadly an uneventful one (it should've been a new Service Pack). The new Servicing Stack update was released to support SHA2 signing of updates, but no accompanying update (just as a reminder, Windows 7 had both the SS and an additional update). The .NET updates are not Rollups or Security Only, but simply standalones to add support for the new Japanese Calendar, so there's no real need to apply them if you live outside The Land Of The Rising Sun :lol:. Lastly, for some reason the new timezone update KB4490128 does not supersede the old timezone updates in the Catalog, so I added it to the Extras folder instead of replacing the older ones with it.

https://mega.nz/#F!txxRyLzC!1vBMGzMHiL864f3bl1Rj1w

Edited by greenhillmaniac

On 4/20/2019 at 1:47 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

well, basically if i try to start virtual machine, my os throw bluescreen. Sometimes when i start my laptop explorer.exe crashes or it just random throws bluscreen with error like win32k something..

If the April updates per se caused instability, I think Ruan, WinClient5270 or greenhillmaniac would have noticed it. What antivirus are you using?