Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

Sorry to report that TorGuard clients as of late have been experiencing startup failures after installation. It appears to be the version of Qt used by the client software. Furthermore older client versions aren't served on the website, and finding 3rd party mirrors has proven spotty at best.

On the bright side, AirVPN is similar in performance-function and even supports as far back as Windows XP at the time of writing.

• 3 weeks later...

Shouldn't we start to list Vista extended kernel programs that work? For example firefox 78 is mostly running without an issue (except atleast for me html5 video) and search bar.

Edited by Jaguarek62

2 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

For example firefox 78 is mostly running without an issue (except atleast for me html5 video) and search bar.

These shortcomings can be fixed if you copy kernel32 to system32 and delete it from the Firefox folder.

However, the purpose of listing extended kernel-compatible software in a thread dedicated to indicating vanilla software compatibility is usually discouraged (see 98SE and XP threads). So I think a new thread should be started for extended kernel compatible software.

1 hour ago, win32 said:

These shortcomings can be fixed if you copy kernel32 to system32 and delete it from the Firefox folder.

However, the purpose of listing extended kernel-compatible software in a thread dedicated to indicating vanilla software compatibility is usually discouraged (see 98SE and XP threads). So I think a new thread should be started for extended kernel compatible software.

I’m on it ;) 

It would appear that OhSoft oCam now works on vanilla Windows Vista SP2 again (Extended Kernel is not installed on my system; I'm using the localized method to run some software like Firefox Quantum instead of replacing system files), after a brief period of being broken (since version 5.00) due to calling Win7+ functions, but it now works just fine. Happy to see a developer still dedicated to supporting Vista out there :) OhSoft oCam has regained ONG status once again:

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

OhSoft oCam (FREEOS, ONG

mZrOSc3.png

Edited by WinClient5270

Since someone mentioned Google Earth in the Extended Kernel thread, I decided to dig into it again and see if the latest version still works in Vista.

Unfortunately, versions starting with 7.3.3 do not work in vanilla Windows Vista, requiring Windows 7+ functions (K32EnumProcessModules being the one I received an error about).

And so, Google Earth 7.3.2 is listed as the last version (thankfully Google still has a download available.. I downloaded both the 32 and 64 bit installers to have on hand for when they will inevitably take them down):

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Outer Space Simulation software:

Google Earth Pro 7.3.2 (FREECS) Download here: 32 bit  64 bit

I also removed Rocket League from the "Games" section since someone mentioned in the other thread that it hadn't been working on Vista for months now, but fortunately it works with Extended Kernel. I added Goosebumps Dead of Night 2020 as @burd suggested ;)

Edited by WinClient5270

3 hours ago, WinClient5270 said:

I added Goosebumps Dead of Night 2020 as @burd suggested ;)

Remove the 2020 its not there in the title i just meant its a 2020 game :D , my bad should have typed it more clearly.

Edited by burd

About the 372.70 drivers

DirectX applications aren't properly utilized by these drivers under Windows Vista, so this will cause a bottleneck in performance over using the GTX 980 or older, where the 365.19 drivers (more optimized for Vista as they're officially supported) can be used. Later drivers will not work on Windows Vista.

Does anyone have a video of this, or know how much it effects the cards? Are there any older drivers that could work better?

26 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

About the 372.70 drivers

Does anyone have a video of this, or know how much it effects the cards? Are there any older drivers that could work better?

1060 gtx here , even moving a window with aero has jitter in it , but when i played doom(2016) with opengl it ran just fine , other drivers work the same i tried all :(

Edited by burd

7 minutes ago, burd said:

Yea , 1060 gtx here , even moving a window with aero has jitter in it , but when i played doom(2016) with opengl it ran just fine , other drivers work the same i tried all :(

Actually, try this instead

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/NVIDIA/NVIDIA-GeForce-iCafe-Graphics-Driver-36891-64-bit.shtml

1 minute ago, burd said:

I've already tried dude , been doing this since 2016 :lol: , i am the one who tested the 372.70 to be the last working driver.

I searched the thread, and it's the first time a driver like this was linked

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/NVIDIA/NVIDIA-GeForce-iCafe-Graphics-Driver-36891-64-bit.shtml