Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008

WinClient5270

2 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Hi, well skype dropped the old versions so is there any chance running the skype 7.38 in 2019 or we are screwed?

Hello,here at my Windows XP machine Skype 7.36 is running fine for me. 7.38 works too for me :P

On 1/4/2019 at 1:02 PM, Tamris said:

it seems that a couple days ago a new version of Otter browser was released, a first stable one even.

Many thanks indeed for letting us know :thumbup ; I decided to give Otter Browser v1.0.01 a shot :dubbio:

Main site: https://otter-browser.org/

GitHub source repo (+ issue tracker): https://github.com/OtterBrowser/otter-browser

SF Windows binaries repo: https://sourceforge.net/projects/otter-browser/files/

While the installer only works on W7 or above

At this time, no installer (setup) is available for latest (stable) version; one exists for previous RC, "otter-browser-win32-0.9.99.3-rc12-setup.exe", though... It appears that the binaries (setup.exe/.7z packages) meant for Win7+ have been compiled with Qt 5.10.1 (which requires Win7+), while the "*.xp.zip" packages have been compiled with the older Qt 5.6.2 framework, still compatible with both XP+Vista...

they also have released a .zip version that's meant for XP and newer, so looks like we have an alternative to New Moon and Basilisk that will also be getting new updates in the future.

From my brief encounter with otter-browser-win32-1.0.01-xp.zip, I can safely say this is far from being an alternative to both of roytam1's referenced browsers... At best, this is a project under development, a long distance away from maturity - despite the recent "stable" label, with very little customisation capabilities, no support yet (that I can see) for any browser extensions and, worse yet, the Vista compatible build has some additional shortcomings, due to the older version of Qt used in that...

The Qt 5.10.1 versions (Win7+) of Otter have the "mediaservice" directory with wmfengine.dll inside it, this suggests Otter is capable of accessing WMF (system) decoders in Win7+; the Vista version (built on Qt 5.6.2) doesn't have this wmfengine.dll but instead has a "lib/gstreamer-1.0" subdirectory, which suggests that the build can't access Vista system codecs and media decoding is delegated to gstreamer instead :(...

Perhaps I am missing something obvious to experienced Otter users (e.g. the need to install gstreamer for Windows?), but I was unable to play ANY youtube video on my Vista SP2 laptop; in fact, when visiting www.youtube.com/html5 this is what I get:

OgzNZcr.jpg

I wasn't willing to try installing gstreamer for fear it messes up with already installed codec packs, FWIW Vista isn't officially supported either:

https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/installing/on-windows.html

Supported platforms: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10

Prerequisites:

To develop applications using GStreamer for Windows we recommend using Windows 7 or later. Windows Vista may also work but it is not supported.

So, for me at least, Otter will remain just a "curiosity" project I may check upon from time to time, not a match to New Moon 28.3.0a1 that I'm currently using for my main browsing needs... :yes:

Edited by VistaLover

@VistaLover Thanks for another informative post. :) Well yeah, I spoke too soon, got too excited after seeing it works on XP and above without actually checking the browser myself... :blushing: But! There's still hoping that whoever's working on this project, will fix most of the issues sooner or later and Otter maybe will become an actually viable alternative for NM/Basilisk in the future... :w00t: And yes I'm aware there's no installer version yet, but at least some part of my last post will be valid in the future, when they actually make one... :roll1:

Edited by Tamris

6 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Mine just says i need to update skype to continue using it :(

Skype update.JPG

I always disable the "Skype Updater" service is services.msc after installing skype

Happy New Year all! Thanks for keeping the topic alive while I've been gone. Finally got around to updating the list.

As for Skype, it appears that the only version users seem to be having issues with now is version 7.38.x, instead of 7.36.x, so I have pointed this out in the list now:

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Instant Messaging/Internet Communication Software:

Skype v7.36.0.150 (FREECSDownload here (link provided by MSFN user sdfox7).

Skype v7.38.0.101 (FREECSUNS) Download here (link provided by MSFN user sdfox7). Some users have reported that this version no longer connects to the servers. 7.36.x isn't affected.

Did pretty much the same thing with Steam, since the situation seems to be similar... Some users report that it doesn't work for them anymore while others report no problems... Strange.

On 3/1/2016 at 8:31 PM, WinClient5270 said:

Game Distribution: 

Steam (FREECS) Windows Vista is no longer supported as of January 1, 2019. However, some users report that the software continues to function normally, while others are having issues.

Speaking of browsers, I just happened to notice that Sea Monkey (stable) still hasn't been updated since the last version to support XP/Vista, version 2.49.4, released July 2018 (almost 6 months ago): https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/

Wonder what's been taking them so long to finally release a new version... :huh:

27 minutes ago, WinClient5270 said:

Wonder what's been taking them so long to finally release a new version... :huh:

They are probably having a hard time switching from firefox esr 52 to firefox 60 esr codes

41 minutes ago, WinClient5270 said:

still hasn't been updated since the last version to support XP/Vista, version 2.49.4

While I found version 2.49.5:
http://www.wg9s.com/comm-esr/

Found this link on SeaMonkey's site while looking for nightly builds, but not sure how official this version is... (and if it's compatible with Vista but it should be)

Edited by Tamris

28 minutes ago, Tamris said:

While I found version 2.49.5:

Found this link on SeaMonkey's site while looking for nightly builds, but not sure how official this version is... (and if it's compatible with Vista but it should be)

This 2.49.5 version works on xp so; t should on vista too

1 hour ago, Tamris said:

And I found version 2.49.5:

... This was also linked to by @roytam1 in the corresponding XP thread:

The thing is, I had previously landed in that "repo" some weeks after 2.49.4 became EoS (or rather the Mozilla ESR 52.9.0 platform it builds on...), but I was dismayed to find out that only win64 builds were offered... :angry:; so I was pleasantly surprised to discover a win32 build is now available: 

eP0VWix.jpg

1 hour ago, Tamris said:

but not sure how official this version is...

Not an official build, surely; these are being compiled and offered by a dev named Bill Gianopoulos (of Greek :cheerleader:descent), he states himself that:

The builds I provide here are what I build for my own personal use on platforms I personally use.
[...] These builds are only performed if there are changes in the source since the previous successful build. These builds are based on the current mozilla-esr52 tree plus mozilla-esr52 patches and the current comm-esr52 tree plus comm-esr52 patches.

It comes with ChatZilla, DOM Inspector and Lightning extensions pre-installed (as system addons), too (PS: I couldn't help noticing the increase in size for file xul.dll, from 53.1 MB in official 2.49.4 32-bit (compiled with Visual Studio 2015) to 61.7 MB in latest "nightly" (compiled with Visual Studio 2017 :dubbio:)) ...

Edited by VistaLover

@Tamris It's totally fine :), I never implied you should have frequented the rest of the XP forums; I just posted that piece of info to let people here (in the Vista subforum) know how "I" was informed of the existence of the unofficial 2.49.5 builds; I hope it's clear now... ;)

What do you people make of this? Didn't think anyone would actually bother to comment, but the author of Rufus himself did. Is anyone here who uses Vista on a regular basis actually concerned of the potential security implications? At least for me, regardless of the OS I use, whether that mitigation is enabled or not, it doesn't make a difference to me, because nothing ever gets on my PC without my explicit permission.

I haven't used anti-virus software in years. To me, that's snake oil that only serves to give gullible people a false sense of security and slow the computer down and being downright annoying by deleting software that I actually want to run. It even happened to me once that I was compiling a program from source and NOD32 deleted the freshly compiled .exe right away! I was compiling a freaking game engine at the time... Windows Defender is the very first thing that gets turned off after Windows install.

So, since this is primarily for the few Vista fans on this forum and that I don't really like programming and only ever bother with it if something I'd like to use is horribly broken or otherwise find some inconvenience that I'm able to fix, what do you think? Would you rather have a version that's potentially more secure or is the current fine? Honestly, my Vista image dates back to 2013, so it's possible that the bug with controls losing Aero appearance doesn't even occur when on a later patch level, but knowing MS, when their product goes out of mainstream support, they don't usually do any interesting updates. I guess I could compile both versions. I personally prefer the one that looks right. :P

On 12/5/2018 at 2:30 AM, WinClient5270 said:

Well I have discovered what appears to be an Electron-based application that still supports Windows Vista (and maybe even XP) - Megasync (a cloud storage desktop client from MEGA)

I wonder if it still works? Version 4.0.1 was released recently.