Such negativity about 10

maxXPsoft

What have we done for years and years? Tweaked the OS to our liking disabling modifying to make it work the way we want.

Just a new challenge to me. I laid low for quite awhile with release of Windows 8 cause I just wasn't going to go there. Didn't like it making my Doze into a phone because I don't use Windows that way. 10 gives us the ability to disable that mess if you want and change a lot of things. It's faster cause they removed the eye candy of rounded corners and such but oh well.

If you are a gamer then you will want this with the changes to DirectX. Least for me it has improved things significantly with a Clean Install not dragging over bad reg entries and such. Anyone will see an improvement if they Clean Install. I am bewildered at the 35 ping from the 75 I was getting before and still can't understand that with same 10mb DSL as before. Dxdiag is showing 11.2 because I don't have a DirectX12 vid card. How is this improving things I don't know.

Windows 7 came out with well over 133 + services in the background with a lot phoning home. I didn't see an uproar back then about this, nope I really didn't.

Windows 10 according to BV "Showing 1 to 223 of 223 entries"

Blackviper is still around providing us with Black Viper's Windows 10 Service Configurations advice

How To Geek is still there with his Windows 10 advice

AskVG is still there with his Windows 10 advice

Clean Install is the key. Don't drag the corrupt stuff over to your new OS. Save the programs you want and their serial numbers and such to a usb stick or something to install later. When installing don't select EXPRESS settings. Select the other and disable like 99% to 100% of them things they ask.

MSFN is a premiere site when it comes to Windows and have been quite awhile.

Act that way and install and help us out with positive stuff

It's really about uncertainty I think.

A.  We've been asked to agree to more unpleasant stuff than ever before.  Smart people wonder, why?

B.  There's now no promise that the OS functionality won't be changed for the worse.  This is significant in that Microsoft has promised to change the functionality continuously.  It's an actual business/tax model change.

C.  The system quite clearly is doing more of the stuff people would not like than ever.  This has become all too clear to me while I have been experimenting with the firewall.

D.  Do YOU trust Microsoft to keep all the personal data they gather from you and your use of "Microsoft Services" safe?  Forever?

Microsoft's recent moves have caused it to actually BE worse in some obvious ways - so people are simply expecting a continuation.

Does anyone - do YOU - really believe a policy of continuous updates is going to deliver a better and better experience?  Or do you see it as a continuous set of thorns in your side?

I believe we're going to see a rise in "re-tweaker" applications, which of course bring their own problems (e.g., when a tweak no longer works properly, as it once did).  Things like Classic Shell already detect that the OS has taken their settings out from under them and have to go out of their way to put them back.

It's harder than ever to see Win 10 in the same light of our past OSs, which we tweaked and augmented then were able to use effectively for years without significant problems.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Naah, everything is fine, the good MS guys are doing it for your own good:
http://venturebeat.com/2015/08/13/how-microsoft-built-and-is-still-building-windows-10/

As stated:

He credits Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Terry Myerson, executive vice president of the Windows and Devices Group, with this approach. “They’re both very obsessed with doing the right thing for people,” Aul said.

And if this is not enough, think of the great flywheel:

I’m excited about the future for Windows. I feel like we are on the right track with the way we’re thinking about this and having it be a continuous evolution versus these big three-year drops that people get stuck on. I think it’s going to be great for the world, great for everyone to be running the latest, secure, up-to-date OS.”

In other words, Aul’s team doesn’t have time to take a break. His favorite way to refer to Windows 10 during our interview was as a “great flywheel.” And as he said, it’s only beginning to turn.

The interviewer, Emil Protalinski  follows the ethics of Venturebeat:
http://venturebeat.com/ethics-statement/
and before the four principles of the Society of Professional Journalists’ ethics:

• Seek truth and report it. Journalists should be honest, fair and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting information.
  • Minimize harm. Ethical journalists treat sources, subjects and colleagues as human beings deserving of respect.
  • Act independently. Journalists should be free of obligation to any interest other than the public’s right to know.
  • Be accountable. Journalists are accountable to their readers, listeners, viewers and each other. 

their "primary obligation is to the truth" so everything is fine.

jaclaz

So we can trust the Good Microsoft Guys implicitly with our lives?  That's good to know.  Thanks.

Not "can", should.

I was saying that we should trust journalists that follow the ethics code and are "honest, fair and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting information"

Possibly if an article is the blind acceptance of a (clearly marketing/PR originated) interview with one of MS vice presidents actually responsible for the product or rather an uncommented direct transcript of his statements, we may still be skeptic. :unsure:

jaclaz

Not "can", should.

Wow, how could I have been so blind as to even begin to doubt the trustworthiness of what is said and written by and about the Great and Generous Provider up on Mount Redmond? 

I stand humiliated and humbled.  I am reborn.  Can the high tech world ever begin to accept the apologies of a sinner?

Wow, paddling downstream promises to be SOOO nice.  The breeze, the cool water...

Now, where can I get that oh so liberating and refreshing GWX update...

ThouShaltGWX.jpg

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

For the most part this OS has been great for me. The only ones who have had problems either didnt do needed maintenance before the upgrade or they got a computer thats old as the tablets the Windows 10 Commandments were written on. What I like most is the easier to setup compact OS option. This makes it so much easier to manage tiny SSD's that are 256gb or less.I just need to find my microphone so I can finally get some use out of Cortana.

Uhhhh, jaclaz, my good friend, I haven't trusted journalists to report truth for a loooong time. I'm constantly amazed at what they leave out of a story to sway you to "the establishment's way of thinking" (comparing what I find with what's reported). So, I'm going to "assume" that you're jesting when journalists are telling the truth about anything. "MS says so, so it *must* be true!" And investigators/auditors investigate/audit their own department/company/administration and come up with nothing. Suuuure they do! ;)

Wow, how could I have been so blind as to even begin to doubt the trustworthiness of what is said and written by and about the Great and Generous Provider up on Mount Redmond? 

I stand humiliated and humbled.  I am reborn.  Can the high tech world ever begin to accept the apologies of a sinner?

Wow, paddling downstream promises to be SOOO nice.  The breeze, the cool water...

Now, where can I get that oh so liberating and refreshing GWX update...

Having just watched The Matrix anew (@dencorso knows the reason why ;) ), I would say that all you need to do is to take the blue pill from Redmond and then all will be right with your world again.

--JorgeA