Internet icon in Start Menu not changing?

caffeinepizza

I'm sure this has been reported, and there is probably a fix. I tried Googling it and searching for it here to no avail. I probably just wasn't wording my search correctly.

My problem: the Internet icon in the start menu will not change to the default browser or to the one specified as it is supposed to do. My default browser is set to Mozilla Firefox (for obvious reasons) and even set in the start menu settings, but it doesn't reflect on the Internet icon.

Microsoft update didn't work either, but I saw the thread here about it and downgraded the muweb.dll to x.256 or whatever it was. I do have the POS update registry edit if that makes any difference.

This copy of Windows XP was installed yesterday. It has updates from onepiece slipstreamed (by nLite).

3TstcO7.png

1. Be more careful when installing programs, you're have yourself made Mozilla as your default browser;

2. The default settings and programs can change if You open the "Set Program Access and Defaults";

3. IE you can set back to the default browser if open the IE, then open IE settings and then select - make IE as my default browser.

Microsoft update didn't work either,...

* It is much more difficult question and you have to resolve this problem yourself. There is possible be more than many causes.

What I'd do:

- Untick 'Internet' in 'Customize Start Menu' > 'General'.

- (If necessary) Right click on that IE shortcut icon in the Start Menu and select 'Unpin from Start Menu' or 'Remove from this list'.

- Then right click on any Firefox shortcut icon and select 'Pin to the Start Menu'. Done.

Unpin/Pin? In XP?

Yep. What's the problem?

winxp_pin_program_1.jpg· · · · · · · · · ·  winxp_pin_program_3.jpg

http://www.trishtech.com/2010/06/pin-a-program-to-start-menu-in-windows-xp/

And after a bit of tinkering we can pin folders too: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-pin-to-start-menu-for-folders-in-windows-vista-xp/

Edited by TELVM

I posted this a long time ago it's a bug in the KB2926765 update (shlwapi.dll) MickySoft never fixed it and in 2 month we can celebrate the 1st anniversary of this bug. :rolleyes:

This is what I was looking for. I knew I saw something about this somewhere, but I didn't know what to search for. Yes, all I did was unpin the IE and pin the normal Firefox shortcut. This XP is running on an old Dimension 1100 with an ext hdd for a samba share.

I am clearly missing something :w00t:, but isn't that a Server 2003 (and later) update, released AFTER the end of support for XP? :unsure:

jaclaz

Windows XP is going the way of FrankenWindows, just like Win9x... where you have parts of other OSes mixed in.

KB2926765 - also reveals WEPOS/POSReady.

Hmmm....

I am missing your point/reference. :unsure:

Windows XP is going the way of FrankenWindows, just like Win9x... where you have parts of other OSes mixed in.

Not really, or not necessarily, this is why I am asking.

I had the (possibly completely wrong, BTW) impression that this is one of the "if it ain't broke, let's fix it nonetheless" :w00t: cases.

jaclaz