Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

harkaz

Windows XP SP4 Final Version 2.0 is now available!

This version brings fixes to the original Final release:

- Fixes issues with .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.0 servicing. .NET framework is now fully compatible with the .NET Framework repair tool.
- Enables uninstallation of future .NET updates.
- Fixes issues with Rosebud installation and Office 2007
- Fixes issues with Starter Edition slipstreaming
- Fixes issues with Windows Imaging Component registration
- Fixes issues with time reporting in many applications.

Download torrent: magnet:?xt=urn:btih:99DF20C41F5EFD46E008ABDAE39FF2BA2243507C&dn=Windows%20XP%20Unofficial%20SP4%20Final&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ccc.de%3a80%2fannounce

Sorry for the noob question but why it was necessary to integrate Internet Explorer 8 in this distribution? It is well known that Windows XP is based on Internet Explorer 6 which is very closely integrated with the operating system's kernel and IE6 security updates contain updates for several Windows XP system files. Therefore IE6 security updates declare themselves as 'Security updates for Windows XP' and not as 'Security updates for IE6'. Internet Explorer 8(and 7 too) are like foreign objects for Windows XP. Security updates for IE7/8 are totally independent from Windows XP and won't update those system files. Novadays it's better not to use Internet Explorer in Windows XP for internet surfing anyway and choose a modern secure browser (like Chrome or Firefox). But at the same time it's better to have the system files updated to the latest versions IMO. Sorry for my English...

Still, it makes sense to have the latest version of Internet Explorer installed. In reference to IE7, Wikipedia states:

Large amounts of the underlying architecture, including the rendering engine and security framework, had been completely overhauled [in IE7]. Partly as a result of security enhancements, the browser became a stand-alone application, rather than integrated with the Windows shell, and was no longer capable of acting as a file browser.

IE8 was built upon IE7's strengths, including isolation from the operating system. The specific system files you're referring to are browseui.dll, dxtmsft.dll, dxtrans.dll, ieencode.dll, shdocvw.dll and tdc.ocx. All but one of these files are updated by the IE8 installer--one presumes to help isolate the web browser from the OS. This would explain why they are no longer updated after the installation of IE8. The only file not updated by the IE8 installer is ieencode.dll. And I'd posit that IE no longer has need of this file.

The November 2014 post-SP4 Update Pack has been released.

This update pack must be used with Windows XP SP4 Version 2- integrated media to Clean install Windows XP SP4 + all post-SP4 updates until November 2014 on your system.

Latest Version: 22 November 2014

READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING: UNLIKE ALL OTHER UPDATE PACKS its integration is done in 3 steps:

1. Integrate the 7Z FILE in SP4 media using nLite or RyanVm Integrator. DO NOT perform any other tweaks YET. Close nLite or RyanVM Integrator and proceed with step 2.
2. Copy the CMPNENTS folder from the ZIP FILE to the installation directory.
3A. If you're using HOME Edition copy the HOME\I386\hivesft.inf file from the ZIP FILE to the I386 subfolder of the installation folder. OR:
3B. If you're using PROFESSIONAL Edition copy the PRO\I386\hivesft.inf file from the ZIP FILE to the I386 subfolder of the installation folder.

WARNING: The post-sp4 update pack, unlike Windows XP Service Pack 4 v2, has undergone limited testing! It's designed primarily for Clean, CD-ROM/DVD-ROM-based installations

This update pack is based on Onepiece's .NET Framework addons and 5eraph's POSReady addon.

Verification Information for the UPDATE PACK:
1. SP4addon-Nov14.7z (22450838 bytes): MD5 - 93216D5D89ED33A314C1D087051DE417
2. sp4addon-manualcopy-Nov14.zip (22658042 bytes): MD5 - A4142AF8D18B8AC59522C0AA6604A246

Download from Post-SP4 Update Pack Google Drive folder.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Once again, this forum is amazing.

Just today, Jan 31, 2015, I installed XP Mode in Windows 7 - my first try ever at virtualization. As all you experts here know a hundred times better than I, it's XP SP3.

So exactly what steps do I take to get and run all the post-SP3 updates better and faster than just running Windows Update in XP Mode for three weeks (AND so that the Windows Update in XP Mode knows that they've been installed)?

I know it's this thread, but I'm not sure exactly what to do.  What do I download, how do I paste it into XP Mode, and then what buttons do I push to run the downloads super-fast (with Windows Update happy afterwards)?

Yup, I'm such a noob I'm like a tourist with a plastic map.

Thanks for your patience and gentle kindness!

Edited by glnz

@glnz, I could be wrong, but I think that you can apply SP4 while in XP mode to update XP mode like you are trying to do.  I haven't tried it, but I think I read that somewhere, probably over at RyanVM.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

bphlpt (and do you pronounce that bffl-pt or be-fflpt? do you remember Don Martin?) -- Thanks.  I saw the ryanvm.net post that they call SP4, which is very interesting. 

My problem is that everyone - even their dogs and fish - know what to do with the downloads, but I don't.  After I save the download, what do I do with it?  How to I get it to update the XP VM?  Is it an .exe that I just run inside the XP VM?  How pre-updated does the XP VM have to be first?  (I haven't downloaded anything yet.)

It's a "show me please".  Thanks for your patience!!

submix - I defintely appreciate your posting your link to the other thread rather than this forum deleting one of my posts.  I actually made progress using the method in the other thread, but this thread is about a different method, and so I'd like to try to catch up to the crowd here as well.  This is indeed a great forum - sorry I didn't appreciate it before.

Edited by glnz

BP is fine. :)

Don Martin from Mad Magazine?  Of course!  Couldn't you tell form the look of me in my avatar and sig?

From what I've read, you can use the recommended downloaded file, [ 1. WindowsXP-USP4-v2-x86-ENU.exe (recommended) ], obviously an .exe, and just run that file while within the running XP mode to update it "live". But I have not done this myself. As I said this is just what I have read. When you go to the cloud download location, you will find some help in the Documentation folder, including some videos in the SP4 Deployment Guide sub-folder, which includes one specifically about SP4 Live Installation. There should be enough info there to get you started.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt