Last Versions of Software for Windows 98SE

As a matter of fact I tend to stay clear of each and every "ISO Editor" (except in very particular cases it is IMHO much better to extract contents and recreate the .iso from the content) but CDMAGE is a nice tool, not exactly an "easy", "good for everyone",  "drag and drop" tool, but still a very nice tool, particularly very apt to converting images between various formats and to extract data from faulty CD's (besides the other more "normal" features).

jaclaz

As a matter of fact I tend to stay clear of each and every "ISO Editor" (except in very particular cases it is IMHO much better to extract contents and recreate the .iso from the content) but CDMAGE is a nice tool, not exactly an "easy", "good for everyone",  "drag and drop" tool, but still a very nice tool, particularly very apt to converting images between various formats and to extract data from faulty CD's (besides the other more "normal" features).

I just need to open some existing cd image file (iso is most frequent and there are everything to iso converters) and in some filebrowser like GUI with explorer drag and drop support, i need to add files, rename files and delete saves a just save iso file and use it.
   I other work i need to work with cd image with with something like virtual disc drive - like vhd etc, but i dont mind special filebrowser GUI for it, im not wrong DVD RAM or old CD RW with some explorer enhandcement were capable to do same thing even in Explorer.

Winiso has everything that i need, buts its payed. 

Edited by ruthan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't see this mentioned anywhere, but CPU-Z 1.78 was released for Windows 98 in November 2016.

Considering the current version is 1.81, this isn't that old at all.

Windows 98 support had been dropped with CPU-Z 1.57, but was revived with CPU-Z 1.76 in April 2016:

https://www.cpuid.com/news/44-cpu-z-1-76-broadwell-e-and-windows-98.html

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html (direct download http://download.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.78-win98.zip)

Edited by sdfox7
version history

Despite claiming compatibility, the newer versions of CPU-Z are missing the VXD file that is required for the program to do anything under 9x. I recently tried to use the newer version of CPU-Z + the VXD from an older build and if I'm remembering correctly I got a BSOD. I don't remember offhand what the system specs were, but it was a "newer" machine.

The never versions of CPU-Z for Win98 do include the VXD driver. It's extracted from the "cpuz.exe" as a hidden file called "cpuz.vxd" when the program starts, and is deleted after the program is closed normally.

More interesting thing is that, the VXD driver in both 1.57, and the newest 1.78.1 versions are identical!

The 1.78.1 version only works for me on my ThinkPad T40. It has failed on all previous machines I've tested. (K8Upgrade-NF3 s754 rig, ASUS X75VB, Lenovo IdeaPad Z510, my main PC). I think 1.57 did work on all of them, but obviously, it didn't know what those newer processors were on the newer machines.

Sadly, on the 1.78.1 version, the core clock is missing.

I'll stick to the good old AIDA64 which is still actively supported for 98SE without KernelEx (minus the installer, use the portable ZIP version). cpu-z.thumb.png.d846d82f76c453d835f880091c37dce8.png

IrfanView 4.50 was recently released and, according to its changelog, support for Windows 9x has unfortunately been terminated:

IrfanView will NOT run on Win9x anymore

IrfanView 4.44 is, based on changelogs, the officially the last version to support Windows 9x.

A shame as I remember using IrfanView in 2006 when I still used Windows 98 Second Edition. It made me happy knowing that it was still supported.

Anyone know of a program that outputs these values in real time for monitoring in 9X/ME?

minfilecache
maxfilecache
Chunksize
NameCache
DirectoryCache

Any XP Task Manager equivalent for 9X/ME that shows programs in memory, memory usage, and real time CPU usage %?

7 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

Nice app you've found, @jumper!

I can't find a way to sort processes by clicking on the columns, but one thing I've noticed, that it shows files used by a process in real time, this is cool especially in games like in this example:

https://imgur.com/a/EaHzc

I think Process Explorer/AIDA64 can't do that.

Downloaded the suggested programs for later testing.

Nice SS.  What's with the garbage characters on the bottom of the DirectX Windower?

That's an untranslated string from the original Japanese version, saying that using this program may ban you while playing online multiplayer games. Other things are translated to English. There is a version where this string is translated, but it doesn't work well on 98SE. It's a really nice utility for those games that work under 98SE that do not have windowed mode built-in.

On 10/20/2017 at 9:12 AM, MrMateczko said:

That's an untranslated string from the original Japanese version, saying that using this program may ban you while playing online multiplayer games. Other things are translated to English. There is a version where this string is translated, but it doesn't work well on 98SE. It's a really nice utility for those games that work under 98SE that do not have windowed mode built-in.

Did you try testing your SkyLake system again using the new AHCI driver to see if the stuttering you complained about is still happening?

I bought the AHCI driver, however, it doesn't really work.

I didn't have the time recently to troubleshoot it further with rloew on email, everyone will know if it finally works :)

And it's Kaby Lake, not Skylake, the chipset in motherboard is Skylake (H110), the CPU is a Kaby Lake Pentium G4560. :)