[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

New poll for the week! What drivers should I add to GE? Any drivers included with XP, unless replaced by a newer driver, will be included. Unfortunately, I will not include every driver requested, but only the most popular drivers. Thus far, the Nvidia 82.12 ForceWare driver and nForce4 series motherboard drivers are included. I will not be adding support for legacy hardware, as GE is meant to supplement cutting-edge computers.

ill be using a giga-byte board with via

i know i need a better one but i got too much to pay off and to get my wife here

and i use nvidia fx5200 i know a worthless card but it was free

or i might buy my radeon

sound blaster support and firewire

@Sofer

The purpose for using the 82.12 was because of claims of better bench scores and gaming speed. If you could link to the source of that claim, I'll consider it, as I'll always be using the fastest drivers available.

@Sofer

Oh, Ok. I'm basing my driver selection on whichever driver gives the majority the best performance, even if it lowers performance on my own computer :P.

And some good news! My RMA'ed parts just arrived! And Finals Week is almost over! So expect the project to progress some more :).

Err I'm sorry to ask this but why would you make a windows xp just for games? The performance gain you can get from a dual-core system with 2gb of ram by using a slimmed down windows may be something like 1/2 fps. The only thing that can really speed up games are last video drivers (or custom video drivers like omega drivers that perform slightly better than other ones).

BTW why don't you use bashrat the sneaky's driverpacks? They have all graphics drivers inside and they're very very easy to integrate.