[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

Good to hear there will be RAID support, and I suppose you're right about 3DMark. I really like the vmware idea though, that would have been nice unless it has too many requirements.

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious, HL2 for gaming please which means steam support.

Aegis,

I have built my own HTPC and wishing for a MUCH smaller and faster XP install, so that all overhead/processes are HTPC related. I have been able to use N-lite for the downsizing but feel that this could be smaller. I think you are on the right track and would really like to try this for an HTPC install. I do believe that there are quite a few HTPC enthuiasts that would greatly appreciate it. Let me know if you need any help in this area.

System Specs Below.

Home Theatre System

MOBO: Abit AN7 CPU: AMD 3200XP

RAM: 512 Megs Ram Vid. Capture: PVR 250

VGA: MSI X6600GT ViVo

DVD Player: Sony DDU1615

DirectTV: RCA 486 Satellite Reciever

MITSUBISHI WS-A55

Thanks

jd

@aegis

LOL

me get all users, is that why you posted , a link to your project, in my thread?

lol

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=55003&st=410

heh,

anyway, I am sure, i'll have all the users*, once I hit beta 3

dont need to worry about that

LOL

*microwinX users

lol, im sure they'll stick with me, as, my project, aims, at support for all users, all os's, even those with scanners, printers, cameras, wireless, dial up, non-gamers

gamers, servers, etc , all programs, while still mainting, the smallest possible windows size for them,

Edited by gdogg

@Gdogg

My project will support all users, if they're knowledgeable enough ;). Yes, that does mean scanner, printer, etc. support. Once I'm done adding in all of the features, I'll trim down the install, which will most likely result in a smaller OS than yours. Also my registry will be smaller, since every piece of junk code is eliminated. And you might get all the users when you release Beta 3, but that's because you'll be releasing it first. By the way, then I'll get to check if your claims about a virus/spyware-free OS is true.

@Sofer

Don't mind gdogg arguing with me ;). It encourages me to outdo his project, which ultimately results in a better OS for the community.

actually it wasn't to argue

I was just trying to make sure, you add support for things I do, I dont actually care who uses what project.

I just want more users, to do there best, to secure there os.

and my claims arn't unfounded, but tested claims, give me a larger virus base to test, ill test it. since IE is gone, you have to use firefox, elimiinating spyware.

and no I dont belive you can leave all that stuff, and be smaller than me, there isn't a way to do it LOL.

unless, you are just, copying my project all together, but even then, ive tried every file to remove, only way, you can be smaller is without UI, but then you must give up, all your support for other stuff.

its also good your working on the registry, unless your done, your no further along on that than I am. :) , besides, its not releasing, a clean registry, that its all about, its about, getting a clean registry to work with your users software.

but just like everyone else in this thread, I too wanna try your project.

it seems like a cool idea, something I might dual boot to.

since you wanna test mine, I guess its all fair game then :D

Edited by gdogg

You're assuming that by using Firefox you're safe, which isn't necessarily the case. As you can see at http://secunia.com/product/4227/#advisories Firefox has it share of vulnerabilities, some of which may lead to arbitrary code execution. Internet Explorer isn't a prerequisite for spyware, but only a vehicle for delivery. If someone managed to load a spyware executable using a flaw in Firefox, or just by deceiving the end-user with a seemingly innocent file, then spyware will still be installed.

Viruses in many ways work the same way as spyware, except the code's purpose is to damage your computer in some way. So that concludes my ranting :). And if you wanted to know, my project is 99.9% malware-free if the user is knowledgeable enough. One more thing to help you...you might want to look back at my old project (Mindows) for some clues on what to expect with this project. And if you think just deleting files and testing it to see if it works is all you need to do, you might want to know that I removed LSASS from my install ;).

so you made it so, you cant restart your computer, without using the power button?

I can make my project boot with remote procedure call.

So i guess were both into messing up XP

lol

but anyway, if like your old project, you dont use explorer, then, yah, you can easily remove some more stuff, but add back the gui, then, u have more dependacies, it goes on and on.

but if your os is malware ... blah

then, I guess were on the same idea, and using the same methods.

and we're just gonna be the same things in the end, just i'm starting from the bottom and your starting from the top.

i've been done though, for 7 months now, just making it noob friendly, since, even your first project was beyond me when it first came out.

but, I never gave it a shot, cause of no GUI, will this project be the same?

will you be not having a graphical user interface?

anyway, Im far more knowledgable now, from my own project.

cool things with lsass.exe btw, but just saying it can be done, makes it easy for it to be copied :D

but, atleast our goals are the same, get the most out of our gaming machines.

Edited by gdogg