[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

Both projects can learn from each other. Its Microsoft that holds the copyright, but not the glory!

Would removing the assoc and ftype library speed things up?

I know for a fact 80% of file type information stored i can do without.

I only need .exe .ini system files as im not gona play music or any other files.

:thumbup Windows is gona be so fast without all the crap. Im way excited. Good work.

yes, that is a huge portion of it.

this is a hint here for aegis, but im sure hes aware

the registry found in \windows\systrem32\config

will not actually lose size, once windows is installed, from cleaning it

all cleanup, must be done, pre-install (hive files)

if you actually want to save some space that is

I also tried messing around with the setup from WinXP. But when I remove about everything from these hive files, he will continue to copy every little file to the right folder even if he's not supposed to do that. What's the prob?

BTW, I'm not going to make something superb, just a little cleanup of things I don't really need in XP, like these file types or maybe the explorer (progman.exe would do :D)

@Aegis:

Why use cmd, if progman is about the same size and much more intuitive? (Think of W3.1...)

GreetZZ 3-R4Z0R

@3-R4Z0R

I'm not sure if it's because it might be 16-bit or not, but progman.exe doesn't work on GE.

@Gdogg

Trust me, getting Windows to work without lsass.exe will prove to be a challenge for you ;). And I'm not sure what you mean with your first question, but if you're asking if I can shutdown/restart my computer without a GUI, I would say yes. Also confused about the top down and bottom up thingy. Aren't you the one working top down since you're nLiting Windows? I know for a fact that I'm working from the bottom up. I'm sticking with the command-line interface because most gamers will just need a simple program to launch their game and they'll be sastified. Unfortunately, I have no plans to make it noob-friendly...there's really no way to make it simpler than it already is ;). Not sure who's the actual underdog here, but I believe both of us thinks we're more knowledgeable, but here's a hint for Gdogg...Explorer relies on the CLSID key in the registry, which takes up an enormous amount of space. And a correction to your "hint", cleaning Windows Registry after the initial install will still lose size, but deleting even a hundred entries or so is so insignificant to the millions of other entries, that the files will stay the same. Only if you make a very drastic change, such as deleting CLSID, will you notice a change. There's proof that there's much more to learn about Windows, Gdogg ;).

actually, I learned a bunch

and no there is no change in size

I removed nearly all the entries in class_id

and what did it do, to the space used by the config folder, nothing.

no need for insults, dont mind some creative critism, but insults

so no more arguing, LOL

now I know we arn't competing :D

Edited by gdogg

@Aegis

Maybe I would be able to program a little proggy for the game-management, like progman.exe. Doing some few subfolders and placing shortcuts in there. *.bat would be enough for these shortcuts. Just specify the location of some exe, add some parameters (i.e. for cs: hl.exe -game cstrike -console) and klick on OK. Then let the program generate a batch file of some KBs and add it to the main folder of the program. From there you may move it to other folders (i.e. fps, rpg, half-life, gta, etc.).

Would suffice, so even a newbie would be able to use this program.

Then:

Integrate VM-Ware player so you may boot a normal XP for surfing the i-net and other things like this. Just put a standard VM-Ware machine (VMX-Builder) somewhere and write in readme where to put the virtual hd file.

GreetZZ 3-R4Z0R

@Suryad

Yup :D! There is indeed some rivalry, which is why I'm keeping mum about my creation process.

@Kalo

I realize that everyone's dying for my work, but I've already set my mind to not do a Microsoft and release unfinished work. Also the procedures I must go through before releasing a public build can be VERY lengthy, up to weeks, so I have to thoroughly test everything to make sure I don't need to rebuild anything.

@Gdogg

I'm telling ya, the registry can still be slimmed down! But if you don't believe me, can't wait until you see my finished work ;). And is there a reason why you don't want to test it anymore :P?

@Gdogg

Dunno what you're saying, but your questions (read: arguments) are becoming unintelligible. I enjoy answering your questions, but you really can't say much to something like this:

and xpge cant compete, its just the largest version of dos ever

There's really no facts in that, especially since you have little knowledge of what's going on with my project ;).

I agree. This isn't "DOS" or an equivalent thereof. It's just a very toned down version of windows without the memory hog interface. Will WinGE still have the user profile folders and desktop folders? If so, it would be cool if somebody wrote a little app to pull "icons" or "links" from the desktop folder and list them. Almost like a game list, and you can choose what game you want to play in there. Just a thought.

@Gdogg

Dunno what you're saying, but your questions (read: arguments) are becoming unintelligible. I enjoy answering your questions, but you really can't say much to something like this:

and xpge cant compete, its just the largest version of dos ever

There's really no facts in that, especially since you have little knowledge of what's going on with my project ;).

just reading what you've said

if there is no UI

how would I install a software firewall?

and if I could install it, how would I then config the firewall, since it would be in the systray?

and, your getting defensive too much, command promt is dos, no matter how u look at it.

oh and about being ineligalbe

its cause yuor a speleling nzai

lol

Edited by gdogg