[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

Nice, I see you got AoE 3 working ^^

Screens look good, but i'm wondering, I thought the interface was going to be solely through the comand prompt, yet in the SS we see a taskbar and a start menu, are those going to be removed later?

Uhhh... usualy i know how to keep out of trouble, but now i asked for it, so i've imported that reg tweak and as Aegis said, thats what happend to me, but guess what, i've deleted the reg , forgot about it and until i've restarted my pc i've even installed some tweaking app. to see what they worth, didn't so i've uninstalled them, but without making any setting in the apps. they still reverted everything back to windows default and for some reason my connection was down, what could be worse ? Pulled the video card out, wait to cool, clean, reinstall driver and after 45' or so i've remembered about the dpi thing, search the registry and deleted. I've learned something today.

Edited by BlueMe

that tweak, borked the drivers , for nvidia 81.95 drivers on a sli setup.

havn't tested further, just thought you'd like to know, it would , make the driver not appear under display settings, (all the nvidia stuff)

would force 16 bit mode

stop me from doing my monitors native resolution when switching back to 32 bit mode.

maybe, that is a new tweak? that only works in newer drivers?

Edited by gdogg

@Gdogg

Actually this tweak is built into Windows, it's not a driver tweak. And as far as I know, no one outside of Microsoft knows about this tweak and many others I'm playing with ;).

@POW!!

Nothing really different from using a normal install so far.

@Sofer

I used Windows Explorer because it's easier to test with. That's partly why my install's so huge. Once I replace Explorer with Command Prompt, the overall size of the build will experience a drastic drop :).

@Sofer

I used Windows Explorer because it's easier to test with. That's partly why my install's so huge. Once I replace Explorer with Command Prompt, the overall size of the build will experience a drastic drop :).

So the truth comes out as to why the is so big right now :P

Lol, personally I dun care about the file size and I don't think many others do either.

As for the tweak, it lets me literally double the size of my resolution, which totally rocks, I get 32 bit color, but unfortunatly I can't access the nvidia control panel either : (

I'm using the 83.40 leadtek beta drivers, which incidentally, if they come out before Windows GE I think you should use em, cause everyone i've talked with, and I personally, have the best scores i've ever seen by as much as 100+ points (3dMarks) from using them.

Also with the tweak on, I cannot start world of warcraft, it gives me some error, i'm gonna check later to see if I lower the resolution a bit (currently 2560x1600) if it will work then.

Also i' quite interested as to where you obtained this little tweak, and about the other ones that you may be working with ^^

@Sofer

Can you please take a picture of your monitor (before and after shots)? I didn't think anyone had a monitor that supported this feature ;). The tweak is undocumented; you can search Google and Microsoft for it and you won't find it. Only way to find out such tweaks is if you (or a friend) have access to the Windows source code.

You must be very well connected then :D

And sure, i'll take some SSs later and post em on imageshack or something. It might be cause i tested it on my new gaming laptop I got for christmas ^^

Edit:

Tried it on my desktop, it's an alienware with a Samsung monitor. Even though the Geforce card in the computer is capable of resolutions up to 2048, the screen on the computer itself says cannot display when you try to go over 1024x768 even with double dpi on. So my laptop must just be cool like that :D

Edited by Sofer

@POW!!

Which means you don't support the tweak ;). If you have any nonstandard resolution, where the width to height is greater than 4:3, then the tweak might work (Sofer's resolution is at a ratio of 8:5).

o rite that explains it lol :blushing:

Actually it's a normal widescreen laptop, 16:10 ratio :P

Which is the same as 8:5 ;). Just divide both numbers by two. Did you read my PM?

And to everyone else, the first private beta is to be released on this coming Sunday. You will only be invited if you have contributed something meaningful to this project ("Wow! This project is great!" is not that meaningful).

Edited by Aegis