Anyone done benchmarks on XP with Thorium vs Supermium? It's nice to see another browser in the XP scene, but it seems like it's about the same as Supermium. Sadly it appears that both retain the connections to Google as seen with vanilla Chromium, there really needs to be better ungoogled options.

8 hours ago, hidao said:

Same bug as supermium: some youtube video can't play...

You could try using an Invidious instance. Those usually load faster than the bogged-down standard YouTube site, have less data collection and offer the ability to download the video right from the site if the instance you're on enabled it.

22 hours ago, 66cats said:

Don't think most people who run XP/Vista today do it out of practical considerations/because their HW can't handle a later OS. For me, it's more like running a vintage car as a daily driver -- impractical, hard to explain the appeal, but fun nevertheless.

Vintage vehicles don't have Google's software on-board, modern ones may do.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Vintage vehicles don't have Google's software on-board, modern ones may do.

But we have smartphone...

7 minutes ago, hidao said:

But we have smartphone...

The Industrial Revolution smartphone and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

4 minutes ago, 66cats said:

The Industrial Revolution smartphone and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

AGREED!

I remember telling DOZENS of mobile phone users that were begging for their landline number to be trasnferred to their mobile that they are not thinking through the consequences.

Back on topic, has anyone else using Thorium noticed it sometimes not loading web fonts?
I've noticed it on this forum site which I use a lot - https://forums.digitalspy.com/
It looks fine in 360Chrome and Supermium, but not in Thorium, where it falls back to Times New Roman.
The console shows many entries saying "OTS parsing error: Unable to instantiate font face from font data."
I assume this is the cause.
:dubbio:

On 4/22/2024 at 1:33 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

i own a '55 Dodge and a '61 Studebaker...

in europe you are unlikely to find spares for very old cars and they also want to apply more restrictions :wacko:

https://english.elpais.com/lifestyle/2024-01-17/is-the-european-union-going-to-ban-repairing-old-vehicles-to-force-the-purchase-of-electric-ones.html#

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Back on topic, has anyone else using Thorium noticed it sometimes not loading web fonts?

I noticed it on Google Street View.

Thanks, I'll check that out.
I can put up with the wrong font on sites occasionally, but it's annoying when it happens on a site you use all the time!
:(