14 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Requires a lot of patience.

13 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Bingo!

While it is a great thing for Supermium and Thorium to bring "cutting edge" browse-ability to XP, it is clear that XP is quickly quickly quickly becoming something only seen in RETIREMENT HOMES.

You know, where the user has 40 minutes to perform what would only take 4 minutes in Win10.

I think I'll try either browser on XP again next time when/if GPU acceleration makes a comeback. Right now, Win10/Win11 with all the background processes still have SIGNIFICANT advantage running Chromium on my (aging) hardware. Though you could also say XP hasn't seen significant changes in over a decade.

But in either case, latest Chrome and retro don't go together too well. It's a bit like trying to get Grand Theft Auto V going on PlayStation 2. I wouldn't expect much on very old computers.

8 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I personally WANT a v114 !!! released of Thorium and Supermium.  114...  114...  114...

I have ZERO need for v122 and ZERO need for chasing Chrome with the whatever update they release every five d#mn days or so.

BOTH of these projects, IMHO, should revert to v114 !!!

Only AFTER the kinks are worked out and v114 is STABLE should these developers start chasing Chrome's every five d#mn days update schedule.

That's not the question I asked.:buehehe: Anyways, we can't even be sure it's on the level of the 114 engine. Many flags and/or functions are missing, just read on github.

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Many flags and/or functions are missing, just read on github.

Google tears many stuff out from each build release so the Supermium developer has to re-add them back

3 hours ago, Milkinis said:

Google tears many stuff out from each build release so the Supermium developer has to re-add them back

Encrypted ClientHello is currently supported, and it wasn't "teared" by Google. But it's absent in Thorium. This topic is about Thorium, not Supermium, some here still isnist those two "aren't clones".

https://blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-encrypted-client-hello/

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

some here still isnist those two "aren't clones".

it's based on the Supermium project base but Thorium brings a variant for WinXP only

I wish it was a ''clone'' because two different browsers stands for more issues and the Thorium repo is full of unfixed issues

''clone'' means two developers are cooperating altogether

Well ... once we get through the first (successful) loading of the browser it works fine and I found this setting (on the 2nd picture below - sorry guys) seems to improve youtube and having another page or forum open whilst. I still say its quite impressive these new browsers work on old systems such as mine.

Sorry about the quality of that screen grab - I don't know what it came out that blurred when I'm seeing it fine here. 

Not sure about what this flag would do. 

spacer.png

Also ...

Any idea if this flag would help? I wouldn't know what to set.

Set GPU Available Memory

Sets the total amount of memory (in MB) that may be allocated for GPU resources. – Mac, Windows, Linux, ChromeOS, Fuchsia, Lacros

#force-gpu-mem-available-mb

I disabled:

Vulkan

Use vulkan as the graphics backend. – Windows, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, Lacros

#enable-vulkan

spacer.png

What do I have to do to get secure dns working as I read this browser passed all but encrypted hello. 

spacer.png

^Sorry, I somehow missed it - it passes all 4 tests. So indeed it does pass Secure SNI (as you can see) 

TY in advance for any assistance with my issues as I'm certain others here know more than myself regarding Chrome browsers.  As you can see ... I'm just looking to make the best of this situation (new browsers and ancient hardware) :)

Sending good vibes to everyone here at MSFN ... btw. I have to go to bed now .... good night. 

Edited by XPerceniol

6 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Vulkan

Use vulkan as the graphics backend. – Windows, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, Lacros

#enable-vulkan

For Vulkan you need a fairly modern GPU (2016 and onwards) and Win 10. Some claim it may *probably* work with Win 7.

6 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Set GPU Available Memory

Sets the total amount of memory (in MB) that may be allocated for GPU resources. – Mac, Windows, Linux, ChromeOS, Fuchsia, Lacros

#force-gpu-mem-available-mb

Disregard if you use flags that disable GPU process completely. Like --disable-gpu

18 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Right now, Win10/Win11 with all the background processes still have SIGNIFICANT advantage running Chromium on my (aging) hardware.

That said, I could live with it when it comes to general browsing where it's not the end of the world unless you're too picky, but when it comes to heavy stuff, including Google Street View...well things like that could be the the reason to take Chrome, unless you already use it as main browser, I still prefer the alternatives in general, despite their flaws...

Agreed.

Here is today's Browser Irony - we have a lot of folks that polyfill old browsers to perform new tricks, myself included.
This is mainly the XP Crowd though the Vista Crowd isn't much far behind in this regard - "keep old at all costs" (without any "cost analysis" that doing this COSTS MORE (both in personal time and CPU/RAM usage) then UPGRADING).

But now that I'm on Win10 + Ungoogled Chromium v114, I've actually found myself intentionally doing the OPPOSITE - tracking down what javascript functions run in v114 or newer and BREAKING THEM so that they do NOT "execute".

28 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

doing this COSTS MORE (both in personal time and CPU/RAM usage) then UPGRADING

Don't think most people who run XP/Vista today do it out of practical considerations/because their HW can't handle a later OS. For me, it's more like running a vintage car as a daily driver -- impractical, hard to explain the appeal, but fun nevertheless.