5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

In this mobile view, MSFN websites called up in Thorium are more responsive and faster in loading than in desktop view:)

Probably add --wm-window-animations-disabled to reduce memory and CPU cycles.

Posted (edited)

As already reported in the Supermium thread by @rereser, a new progwrp.dll file was released for Supermium. This file is the Chrome XP API Adapter and is supposed to be compatible with Thorium. Therefore, I replaced the old version 1.1.0.5002 by the new version 1.2.0.5035. The file size from version 1.1.0.5002 to 1.2.0.5035 has been significantly reduced by an incredible 82%. In any case, I can confirm that now the  browser start is much faster and smoother than before. I think this is a great improvement. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

32 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

As already reported in the Supermium thread by @rereser, a new progwrp.dll file was released for Supermium. This file is the Chrome XP API Adapter and is supposed to be compatible with Thorium. Therefore, I replaced the old version 1.1.0.5002 by the new version 1.2.0.5035. The file size from version 1.1.0.5002 to 1.2.0.5035 has been significantly reduced by an incredible 82%. In any case, I can confirm that now the  browser start is much faster and smoother than before. I think this is a great improvement. :thumbup

After some tests, I would even say that the loading behaviour of different websites also has been improved by the updated Chrome XP API Adapter. :o More test are necessary, of course. :cool:

9 hours ago, Saxon said:

6 hours ago, dmiranda said:

As per https://superuser.com/questions/1738597/how-to-disable-all-chromium-animations, also adding the switch below may help. Will test. Thanks!

--animation-duration-scale=0

I know these command line flags. Personally, I use the extension Animation Policy in Thorium. By using this extension, you are able to exactly adjust via a toolbar popup how the animations are supposed to be handled by the browser. Thus, the user has the possibility to let an animation play or stop from inside Thorium at any time without editing the flags and restarting the browser. :P

Posted (edited)

@Dave-H I have just seen your recently opened issue "Side by Side Error Recorded in Windows XP #85"on GitHub. I then checked my event logs but can't see any corresponding entries so far although the sub folder screen_ai also exists in my USER_DATA folder including this ominous chrome_screen_ai.dll file. Furthermore, I checked my installed components under chrome://components/ but there are none. :no: Maybe, you simply delete or rename the complete screen_ai sub folder and use the command line flag --disable-component-update for the next browser start.. It might be necessary to de-register the chrome_screen_ai.dll file, too. I can't say whether this will help you, but you could give it a try. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

MSFN members who have CPU and Memory problems and use uBlock Origin can enable the “Ignore generic cosmetic filters” option.
This is a feature that Mr.Hill has set up specifically for less powerful PCs.

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Dave-H I have just seen your recently opened issue "Side by Side Error Recorded in Windows XP #85"on GitHub. I then checked my event logs but can't see any corresponding entries so far although the sub folder screen_ai also exists in my USER_DATA folder including this ominous chrome_screen_ai.dll file. Furthermore, I checked my installed components under chrome://components/ but there are none. :no: Maybe, you simply delete or rename the complete screen_ai sub folder and use the command line flag --disable-component-update for the next browser start.. It might be necessary to de-register the chrome_screen_ai.dll file, too. I can't say whether this will help you, but you could give it a try. :P

Thank you, that sounds like a very good 'fix', as long as I never want to use any downloaded components of course!
I'm pretty sure that what trigged the download was using the Google Translate function, but I can always replace that with an extension.
:yes:
I have loads of things listed under chrome://components/ BTW, including "ScreenAI Library - Version: 123.9.3" which is causing the errors to be logged.

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Yes, a big difference.
As mentioned elsewhere, I had also been aware of 'stuck processes' being left running when Thorium was supposedly closed down.
Hopefully this will now be fixed too.
:thumbup

24 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I have loads of things listed under chrome://components/ BTW, including "ScreenAI Library - Version: 123.9.3" which is causing the errors to be logged.

As I already wrote, no components were installed in my Thorium installation. The list is simply empty. :P

27 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Thank you, that sounds like a very good 'fix', as long as I never want to use any downloaded components of course!

It was just an idea. :) Personally, I use the flag --disable-component-update. :yes:

Having added the switch, there are now no components listed in chrome://components/ so it looks as if the switch doesn't only stop components being downloaded, as its name implies, it disables any components already on the system!
Google Translate still seems to work, so that's a bonus!

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Having added the switch, there are now no components listed in chrome://components/ so it looks as if the switch doesn't only stop components being downloaded, as its name implies, it disables any components already on the system!

I believe that updating Chrome components in the background on Windows XP may now be more of a problem than a benefit. It's been so many years since support for Chrome on Windows XP was discontinued that components for this operating system are no longer being developed, let alone checked for compatibility. Thus, using the flag --disable-component-update seems to me a logical consequence. spanachee.gif

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I believe that updating Chrome components in the background on Windows XP may now be more of a problem than a benefit. It's been so many years since support for Chrome on Windows XP was discontinued that components for this operating system are no longer being developed, let alone checked for compatibility. Thus, using the flag --disable-component-update seems to me a logical consequence. spanachee.gif

Use in conjunction with --component-updater=url-source=0.0.0.0

Otherwise it would still check for available updates at certain intervals. It won't update them, but these checking connections is better to avoid.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Saxon said:

20 hours ago, dmiranda said:

As per https://superuser.com/questions/1738597/how-to-disable-all-chromium-animations, also adding the switch below may help. Will test. Thanks!

--animation-duration-scale=0

Then 

--enable-low-end-device-mode

would better suit your needs, in theory it should combine many, including these. Don't throw stones at me, if not. Just try.

*use without quotes.

Edited by Dixel