What software are you using for voice chat on XP?

sparty411

Unsure what is meant by "voice chat".  I use Google Voice and it works in XP using 360Chrome v13 or v13.5.  If you know what Vonage or magicJack is, that's basically Google Voice.  I do not own a phone - no land line, no cell phone, no mobile phone, nothing.  I make all phone calls using Google Voice and an XP-compatible web browser.

Telegram still works on XP. Sure you'll have to use an older version and you're gonna get an annoying banner begging you to upgrade your OS, but it still works.

Older versions of the TeamSpeak client can also be used as long as the server is also relying on an old version.

3 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Telegram still works on XP. Sure you'll have to use an older version and you're gonna get an annoying banner begging you to upgrade your OS, but it still works.

I was just about to say that, lol. Anyway, it's exactly version 1.8.15 that's the last for XP that still works, and fortunately, that huge red "Please upgrade your operating system" banner is only once after starting it after installation (if using the setup version), or starting it for the first time from the zip file (if using the portable version), it doesn't appear every time you start Telegram. :)

Edited by mina7601

13 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I use Google Voice.  I do not own a phone - no land line, no cell phone, no mobile phone, nothing.

Do you need a working USA phone to receive the verification code when you first register Google Voice?

I want to register Google Voice, I will try my luck with a USA VPN, but I think I still need a working USA phone to receive the verification code.

12 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

<excerpt>
Account creation requires an iOS or Android device regardless of the platform intended to be used.
</excerpt>

That rules me out.  I don't own an iOS or Android device.

You can try to register using an an android emulator like Bluestacks or Nox.

I attempted that about a year ago and it didn't work, but then it also didn't using a real android phone.

Probably because I gave them a Czech phone number (they don't need registration) and Russians are really desperate about having your personal data.

Edited by TSNH

51 minutes ago, we3fan said:

Do you need a working USA phone to receive the verification code when you first register Google Voice?

I want to register Google Voice, I will try my luck with a USA VPN, but I think I still need a working USA phone to receive the verification code.

My Google Voice doesn't use verification codes.  It's strictly username and password without any two-step BS.

But it could be because my fake throwaway Google email address dates way back to 2004 when somebody that already had a Google account had to "invite" me to open a Google account.

I admit that I kind of have no clue what is involved in opening new Google accounts nowadays.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I admit that I kind of have no clue what is involved in opening new Google accounts nowadays.

You'd need a non-fake phone number with the ability to receive their confirmation SMS. The number mustn't be in their spammers database.

"Google Voice is not supported in your country." or something. So it's not an option for everyone. At least for me, there's just too many little things where the actual phone number comes in handy these days, so getting by without one wouldn't be for me, even though I rarely use it. I was overpaying for it until recently, the old provider just kept increasing data plan volume (gigabytes) and subscription price, which I almost don't need and when I do (mostly paying for petrol, few megabytes a month at most), I figured they have Wi-Fi there, so recently switched to another provider, their cheapest subscription model has zero subscription cost, you pay depending on how much you use, 4 cents per minute/SMS/MMS/megabyte.

No idea about plain internet based services, maybe Skype still works on 360Chrome? I don't use any in personal life, used Teams couple of times (work-related, bleh, last time I used it, which was very recently, last month, it updated mid-call and threw me out...).

On 12/1/2023 at 10:39 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

That rules me out.  I don't own an iOS or Android device.

Just a kind clue, @NotHereToPlayGames:

I've been a hardcore refusenik for a decade too, but in 2020 (during the pandemic), separated geografically from my friends, i decided to change that - the main use-case here was Signal messenger for (video)calls.

Bought a used Sony Xperia X (compact) - you shoud get one today for about $50, rooted it, disbled or deleted all the google/yt/fb/amazon crap and did install an opensource firewall and browser. It required approx. one (hard) week for a "pefect" setup, but i didn't regret those investments even for one single second. A phonenumber/SIM is needed only once to activate/register the messenger (at least in case of Signal) and aamof, i'm just using my device exclusively SIM-less.

Big recommendation for Teamspeak 2, if it's for voice chat between Windows PCs of all ages. Despite being super old, Teamspeak 2 works even on Windows 10, as well as good old Windows 98. The system requirements are ridiculously low. The codecs are ridiculously outdated (some of them convert your voice to mysterious art!), but they're efficent. Still many public servers are up and running and self-hosting is possible as well. What a nice software.

Teamspeak 2 Download:
http://teamspeak2.bplaced.net/neue_seite_3.htm