Latest-ish MPC-HC ported for XP

tirigliu

8 hours ago, j7n said:

New versions only support DXVA2 on Vista+.

New versions don't support Vista anymore at all. Be it with DXVA or without, they dropped support a couple of years back, maybe more. The player starts OK, but can't load the filters and crashes or does nothing.

The latest and probably the last good ported for XP should be 1.9.7 at max., MPC-HC version 1.9.18.46 doesn't even work with Vista. I haven't tried on XP, surely won't work due to LAV filters, also.

Take note, that version 1.9.18.46 is at least two years old.

6 hours ago, dmiranda said:

could you giver more details on how you set it up? I reckon you are not using the external lav filters?

Extract MPC-HC 2.1.2.7z and put the MPC-HC folder from the archive in e.g. your 'Downloads' folder and put 'mpc-hc.ini' in there as well.

Drag all the content from LAVFilters-0.78.0-0.7z into the MPC-HC folder (replace existing files).

Then start the program.

If you want to use it with the XUL extension "Open With" (see this post) and you want to add its icon to the menu, extract the program icon with e.g. "IconsExtract", put it in e.g. 'C:\Windows\Icons' and assign it in the extension.

(or download the icon from here)

MPC-HC 2.1.2 for XP:
pixeldrain.com/u/KEawd9co

LAVFilters 0.78.0 for XP:
pixeldrain.com/u/YMzvVDUE

Credits to Maroc@MDL

Edited by nicolaasjan

well a problem todays programmers follow is that they use engines, very script like code, very much of copy paste 

often multiple engines like a engine for a engine and a next engine

having weird names like "STD" or "dwrite" or "grafic engine" 

when i looked that hevc (h.265) public code i reconized like countless engines and scripts 

and this weird c++ 17 c++20 c++23 (that in reality do nothing useful like at all)

then you see them copying these codes all around 

later on i actually saw that h.265 not even use a own encoder/decoder 

it loads external functions and dll´s via a script like "erm do me C:\123.mpg to C:\123.hevc" 

that was actually the reason why xp cant decode/encode that codec it is slit up into a windows engine from at least win10 ? maybe 7 i dont care

and this dll what also is a engine (that calls a next dll -> and that 1 is doing the real codec)

so after seeing that you have like 5 script engines before even 1 things happens (and those trigger like 100 of unneccesary functions older os´s dont have)

so digging deeper into the rabit hole what do the real codec is not windows either or ffmpeg 

its that x265 codec that is doing the real codec the entire real math, logic is there

https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/master/releasenotes.html#version-3-5

the math algo functions are in plain c - and in fact dont care about about some weird windows functions 

that not being done the heic encoder/decoder i made dont need anything of these files - because it do what a encoder should do it use the en/decoder relativ directly 

a illness we hopefully dont face too much

On 1/6/2024 at 7:18 PM, user57 said:

later on i actually saw that h.265 not even use a own encoder/decoder 

it loads external functions and dll´s via a script like "erm do me C:\123.mpg to C:\123.hevc" 

How then you'd explain MPC-HC fully decodes H265 on Vista? Also, is decodes with acceleration. Vista doesn't have its own native H265 codec (just like XP).

Edited by D.Draker
also with acceleration

On 11/14/2023 at 1:00 PM, we3fan said:

MPC-HC 2.1.2 for XP:
pixeldrain.com/u/KEawd9co

LAVFilters 0.78.0 for XP:
pixeldrain.com/u/YMzvVDUE

Credits to Maroc@MDL

Maroc from MDL has updated his release MPC-HC from version 2.1.2 to version 2.1.2.18. Here is a quotation from his original post:

MPC-HC 2.1.2.18 (16 Nov 2023)
https://pixeldrain.com/u/GERB9KeM

It works absolutely great. I adjusted MPC-HC to play YouTube videos in 480p quality due to my weak Windows XP hardware conditions.

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, we3fan said:

Thanks.
Yes, that would be nice for older PCs, how to make MPC-HC play YouTube videos in 480p?

Either, you have to directly edit the mpc-hc.ini file inside the MPC-HC folder and to assign certain values to variables for playing YT videos in 480p. Here is the code:

YDLMaxHeight=480
YDLVideoFormat=3

Or, you can edit slightly more comfortably the values under Options -> Advanced. Here is a screenshot:

MPC-HC-2-1-2-18.png

In any case, these settings work for me on my old, weak Windows XP computer. :) YDLVideoFormat=3 means to play the stream with the VP9 30fps video codec. YDLMaxHeight=480 is probably self-explanatory. :P When hovering the mouse over the variables, you'll get more information. starescreen.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Thanks, worked nicely.

Is it possible to do the same for high-resolution video files, for example, to play .mp4 1080p video files in 480p?

1 hour ago, we3fan said:

Thanks, worked nicely.

Is it possible to do the same for high-resolution video files, for example, to play .mp4 1080p video files in 480p?

No! You have to convert the local 1080p mp4 file before playing.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 1/8/2024 at 10:46 AM, D.Draker said:

How then you'd explain MPC-HC fully decodes H265 on Vista? Also, is decodes with acceleration. Vista doesn't have its own native H265 codec (just like XP).

well it might be a guess

the problem might resides in that LAV files (what are again something like a engine)
(those seem to use vista functions) (actually to find the precise answer i would need to read the entire code of this programm)

i did say quite the opsite

i said that this "codec engine" is split up into windows 10 (through severial engines/dll´s (what actually
made it hard to split it from windows))

not that the math and logic cant work on xp / nor vista

i saided the oposite here - and thats what i did with the winxp heic en/decoder

a cpu might can take a software calculation hardware based (in fact that is very common 
because software solutions are useally not that fast the 4:2:0 transfer for example is made via hardware
it also can be done by software)

the directx (d3d12.dll) or (opengl) do also hardware processing 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-nGCXRZqI
as we can see the pixels also look different
those GPU can make a billinear upsampling (but this also can be done via software and via that SSE registers)

with SSE registers we have to dig a little before 

there used to be like 90-120 opcodes what solved all kind of possible math questions

what you actually could do instead of c / cpp ect.you could write your code in assembly
that speeded up code like at least 2 times up to 50 times (and smaller file sizes)

the second idea was a new technolegy for speed 
those then because extra registers and firstly where called MMX
MMX up to AVX512 are the same thing but

they are extra registers called the XMM0-ZMM31 registers
SSE and AVX where just extensions and MMX got named to SSE

those are made for speed and have different hardware logic and progress a lot faster
(and actually windows 10/11 try to make use of these because the win10/11 engine is very slow)
and even tho this are far faster registers win10/11 is still very slow 

a other thing we should not forget is that vista is a child of win10 there was a big change from kernel version 5.2 to 6.0 (win7 is 6.1), win 8.1 (rather 6.2 (maybe 6.201), and win10 is 8.1 maybe a few new functions and at least in my opinion spyware components

vista has those SRW locks win10 still use them , they are often a gap between xp and win10 why the "win10 programm" actually not work

win7 was the only win version that tryed to make something better - probaly made its success

Hi

On 1/8/2024 at 3:01 PM, AstroSkipper said:

It works absolutely great. I adjusted MPC-HC to play YouTube videos in 480p quality due to my weak Windows XP hardware conditions.

MPC-HC 2.1.2.18 on xp2 works very well with hardware decoding. I view YouTube mp4 videos in 1080p at 30 fps without problem with dxva1 added as an external filter... on an old Pentium 4 to 3 GHz PC with an Ati Radeon HD 4600 graphics card.

Thanks AstroSkipper and nicolaasjan  :D

19 minutes ago, IXOYE said:

Thanks AstroSkipper and nicolaasjan  :D

And more importantly, thank Maroc himself (at My Digital Life forum) for the patched MPC-HC build for XP.

Also, welcome back, IXOYE! Glad to see you talking again after approximately 8 months! :hello:

Edited by mina7601

Yes, welcome back @IXOYE, i remenber it was you who explained (me) some years ago, how simply to combine Roytam's UXP browser + "open with" + yt-downlader + mpv. Does still work greatly!

9 hours ago, user57 said:

well it might be a guess

the problem might resides in that LAV files (what are again something like a engine)
(those seem to use vista functions) (actually to find the precise answer i would need to read the entire code of this programm)

i did say quite the opsite

i said that this "codec engine" is split up into windows 10 (through severial engines/dll´s (what actually
made it hard to split it from windows))

not that the math and logic cant work on xp / nor vista

i saided the oposite here - and thats what i did with the winxp heic en/decoder

a cpu might can take a software calculation hardware based (in fact that is very common 
because software solutions are useally not that fast the 4:2:0 transfer for example is made via hardware
it also can be done by software)

the directx (d3d12.dll) or (opengl) do also hardware processing 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm-nGCXRZqI
as we can see the pixels also look different
those GPU can make a billinear upsampling (but this also can be done via software and via that SSE registers)

with SSE registers we have to dig a little before 

there used to be like 90-120 opcodes what solved all kind of possible math questions

what you actually could do instead of c / cpp ect.you could write your code in assembly
that speeded up code like at least 2 times up to 50 times (and smaller file sizes)

the second idea was a new technolegy for speed 
those then because extra registers and firstly where called MMX
MMX up to AVX512 are the same thing but

they are extra registers called the XMM0-ZMM31 registers
SSE and AVX where just extensions and MMX got named to SSE

those are made for speed and have different hardware logic and progress a lot faster
(and actually windows 10/11 try to make use of these because the win10/11 engine is very slow)
and even tho this are far faster registers win10/11 is still very slow 

a other thing we should not forget is that vista is a child of win10 there was a big change from kernel version 5.2 to 6.0 (win7 is 6.1), win 8.1 (rather 6.2 (maybe 6.201), and win10 is 8.1 maybe a few new functions and at least in my opinion spyware components

vista has those SRW locks win10 still use them , they are often a gap between xp and win10 why the "win10 programm" actually not work

win7 was the only win version that tryed to make something better - probaly made its success

Thanks, but you probably misunderstood the question, I'll rephrase.

I don't have any third party codecs installed for H265, Vista doesn't have its own H265, yet the standalone (portable) MPC HC decodes H265 with hardware decoding, why and how?

The only explanation it's self sufficient enough, and doesn't depend on other resources, but you wrote otherwise.