Supermium

On 5/4/2024 at 6:18 PM, UCyborg said:

That won't disable the API...appropriate setting is at chrome://settings/content/usbDevices

Still, I find disabling it pointless...if you're seeing prompts to connect to USB unexpectedly, you should re-evaluate your browsing habits.

I would try talking to one of my USB devices through a web browser just because, but I don't know how any of devices work and I'm back at the fact that I hate programming. :}

On 5/4/2024 at 5:54 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Disable the flag #enable-webusb-device-detection:)

Thanks all, tried both suggestions, unfortunately the devices are still scanned and seen at.

chrome://usb-internals

Posted (edited)

The point of that setting (the one on normal Settings page, not page with flags) is to prevent the web pages to be able to do anything with WebUSB.

https://intel.github.io/zephyr.js/webusb/

You'd have to implement another flag or setting in any other shape if you wanted to turn the backend off.

Edited by UCyborg

On Sat May 04 2024 (GMT+0000) at 12:49 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

So you have to visit and interact on the web page of the search engine you want to add.

I will try that, thanks.

You should only need to load the search engine then click into the search box.

It's the clicking in the search box that "triggers" the "EventListener" for the OpenSearch search engine to be added to the browsers search engine list.

If the search engine does not utilize OpenSearch then you will have to add the search engine manually.

Posted (edited)

after more testing this new progwrp.dll by IDA-RE-things has another big advantage for me.
i am running supermium r4 the same way as i did 360chrome.
that is, with a modified x-chromium loader.exe and a modified loader.ini.

frequently after clearing browser data and closing supermium the x-chromium loader.exe and two chrome.exe processes would still be running in the windows task manager.
with those still running a new start of the browser fails.
so i just kept the browser running all day or closed the still running processes before restarting the browser when needed.
this new progwrp.dll also solved that issue.
all chrome processes and the x-loader now close on exit.
as said before, only tested on xp sp3 (updated with legacy updates 2014)

credits to IDA-RE-things for making this dll and his reports on the github supermium site.
https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/created_by/IDA-RE-things
https://github.com/IDA-RE-things

Edited by rereser

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, rereser said:

Hi there. I'm sticking to supermium. I've been trying this IDA-RE thing, but I'm unsure I will make it my default. Reasons: (1) I know who @win32 is, and even though his particular dll is (I understand) closed source, I kind of trust him. Hopefully he'll revise this policy. (2) This new dll seems to be an improvement (can't really judge, though), but generates debug errors ([0509/163849.000:ERROR:registration_protocol_win.cc(136)] TransactNamedPipe: The pipe has been ended. (0x6D)), without apparent effect on performance, but I don't have the knowledge to understand why. (3) Today in the morning I could download the binary, while as of now the binary is gone -what is left is only the source-. Just sayin.

Edited by dmiranda

I welcome the alternatives and the open source (initial) input of this new developer, though. Let's see what transpires.

34 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

(3) Today in the morning I could download the binary, while as of now the binary is gone -what is left is only the source-. Just sayin.

I just ran into that also.  I guess I should have read all of my unread's before posting, lol.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Only a "source code" zip which unzips to a useless-to-me "README.md".

Without that .dll the browser doesn't work. Conclusion - Supermium is a close source programme.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Klemper said:

Without that .dll the browser doesn't work. Conclusion - Supermium is a close source programme.

I don't follow your logic. We are talking about IDA-RE dll. It offers source (therefore, provided you build it, open source), but the binary has dissappeared from the server. As per supermium, for what I have heard (I have not looked for source) it may only offer that dll in binary from, no source. So that particular dll, if the hearsay before is true, would probably be (or is) closed source. 

Edited by dmiranda

Posted (edited)

The ida-re binary (downloaded this morning from github) for the dll now only offered in source is attached - but run at your own risk. MODERATORS: please advice-delete as you see fit -like you always do :P

EDIT: As per @NotHereToPlayGames, the source is a mere readme, so I deleted the binary in the attachment. If you are using it, do it in a VM.

Edited by dmiranda

3 hours ago, dmiranda said:

I don't follow your logic. We are talking about IDA-RE dll. It offers source (therefore, provided you build it, open source), but the binary has dissappeared from the server. As per supermium, for what I have heard (I have not looked for source) it may only offer that dll in binary from, no source. So that particular dll, if the hearsay before is true, would probably be (or is) closed source. 

I think Klemper's logic is very simple, and I tend to agree, no source for that particular dll would mean Supermium is indeed close source, it's simply won't even launch without it.

It's not "hearsay", no source for that dll was ever published, I looked.

38 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I think Klemper's logic is very simple

Goes something like:

1. win32 publishes progwrp.dll code, which is picked up by Alex313031, and, apparently, IDA-RE

2. IDA-RE, who is not win32, releases a version of win32's dll, calls it progwrp.dll v. 1.2.0.5035

3. IDA-RE, who is not win32, takes down his work (progwrp.dll v. 1.2.0.5035) -- both the source and the binaries

∴ win32's Supermium is not open source, QED.

?