Supermium

I've just updated to Supermium 124.0.6367.245, and it seems to be working fine on XP SP3 x86.

It didn't however work with the version of progwrp.dll that I was using before, which was 1.2.0.5058.
When I changed to the version which was bundled with the browser, which was 1.1.0.5016, it all came good.
Is that the best version to use, or is there a better one?
:dubbio:

5 hours ago, Dave-H said:

It didn't however work with the version of progwrp.dll that I was using before, which was 1.2.0.5058.
When I changed to the version which was bundled with the browser, which was 1.1.0.5016, it all came good.

Hi Dave :) ; I think a distinction should be made, so that other readers aren't being confused ;) ...

The "wrapper" library component of Supermium (which the Thorium author has also got permission to bundle with his browser, to make it XP+Vista compatible) comes originally from win32ss (win32 here at MSFN), it consists of only one DLL (named progwrp.dll) and the file version is currently in the 1.1.0.xxxx range... As you wrote already, the installer for Sm-v124-pre comes with v1.1.0.5016; that one apparently causes issues for some non-standard XP SP3 x86 installations, hence GitHub #686 was filed; inside that thread, win32ss has uploaded, as of this writing, six (6) iterations of progwrp.dll-v1.1.0.5017 and one (first) iteration of progwrp.dll-v1.1.0.5018 here which, technically, is the latest official offering :P ...

OTOH, versions 1.2.0.xxxx belong to the alternate, let's call it "unofficial", "wrapper" library implementation by @IDA-RE-things ;) ; at this time, this implementation consists of up to 3 separate DLLs and is mainly targeting Low-End (as in H/W) XP SP3 x86 older setups (slow HDDs, limited RAM, slow by today's standards CPU, etc.):

https://github.com/IDA-RE-things/Chrome-xp-api-adapter/releases

As posted by 66cats, the latest version of this alternate lib is 1.2.0.5065 ...

Judging by your own (relatively powerful) H/W Dave, do you really need to use this alternate implementation? Can you spot noticeable differences between official 1.1.0.5018 and unofficial 1.2.0.5065 ?

Cheers :) ...

Thanks @VistaLover that's really useful background information, very helpful to anyone who's puzzled by all the different versions of the DLLs which are floating around!
:yes:

Version 1.2.0.5065, with its two sister DLLs, is working very well on my system, with Supermium and Thorium.
I will give version 1.1.0.5018 a try (I assume it doesn't need the other two DLLs or the extra startup switches) and see how it goes.
:)

OK, I tried both DLLs on Supermium, playing 4K video full screen on YouTube, and I could see no significant difference with the performance.
They were both juddery, but perfectly watchable.
1080 HD is fine with both of them.
Are there any other tests I can do to compare them?

10 hours ago, Dave-H said:

any other tests I can do to compare them?

In Vista+ (where hardware acceleration works by default), for me, there's no difference. In XP, this progwrp.dlll allows HW acceleration.* With HW acceleration enabled, you should see measurable improvements in browser benchmarks like Speedometer 3.0, especially in graphics benchmarks like MotionMark (50 to 100% higher scores on my HW). Can't say the difference is immediately obvious outside of benchmarks.

*To enable HW acceleration, launch Supermium with --use-angle=d3d9 --ignore-gpu-blocklist. This setting won't work with older GPUs/may introduce additional issues (v1.2 is still "pre-release"). 

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Dave, be a dear, try to check whether the Client Hints alleged block actually works in this new 124 version. 

https://browserleaks.com/client-hints

It needs to say "API not supported". Many thanks! Have a nice day.

It appears not.
:no:

Clipboard-1.thumb.jpg.927fd1580557698e2ed4e3967622f03f.jpg

I assume I don't have to do anything to enable it.

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

It appears not.
:no:

Clipboard-1.thumb.jpg.927fd1580557698e2ed4e3967622f03f.jpg

I assume I don't have to do anything to enable it.

Say goodbye to UA spoofing, sadly. I tried to pass the info on how to spoof some new fingerprinting techniques, including HTTP2 to win32, but seems he doesn't visit MSFN again.