Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, NojusK said:

Hello,

Malwarebytes 1.75 on my Windows 2000 laptop no longer updates since March 14. I have tried re-installing it, but it only downloads the March 13th update:
QQUr2it.jpeg

As hard as it is to say, it might actually be the end of the last lightweight and good MBAM :no:

I want to know if others that use this version are having the same issue or is it just me...

Hello @NojusK! I am using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro 1.75.0.1300 on one of my Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit partitions. Unfortunately, I have to make the same observation here. :angry: The update works, but the last update of the virus definition is v2024.03.13.12. Nothing more up-to-date is currently available. :no: Here is a screenshot:

Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-1-75-0-1300-Up

However, we should wait some days to see if this is really the end. You know hope dies last. :P In any case, I totally agree Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro 1.75.0.1300 was and is the lightest antimalware programme ever. That's why I was so happy in July 2023 to have found a way to reactivate it. Just a tip. Save this last definition update to recover it for whatever reasons in the case it is no longer available via online update! :)

Greetings, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Hi ... anyone notice that Malwarebytes v1.75.0.1300 hasn't updated since March 13th. Maybe someone can also confirm this. There are usually 3 or 4 updates or more everyday. There are 12 updates for March 13 so far. I don't remember ever seeing that many in one 24 hour space.

Forget it ... just after I posted I read the post before mine ... just didn't see it.

Edited by Monroe

Also the same for Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit BETA v1.10.3.1001.

March 13 is the last update, as well. I'll keep it and I backed up the latest update (Configuration Files), but got rid of v1.75.0.1300 and am now using Rogue Killer.

spacer.png

Edited by XPerceniol

Avast v18.8.4084.0 (XP-last) works well - just choose minimal install + Mail shield (that is these four: File Shield, Behaviour Shield, Web Shield, Mail Shield) and it's fine.

Posted (edited)

FYI, I had a "nice" conversation in the Malwarebytes Forums
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/309490-have-you-all-stopped-making-updates/
Unfortunately, there won't be any further definition updates for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro 1.75.0.1300. They have deliberately stopped rolling out current definition updates for this version. :angry: After the end of support for Avast Free Antivirus 2015, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.1.1043 and now Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro 1.75.0.1300, the air is getting very, very thin for anyone who wants to run an antimalware programme with real-time protection on a machine with an SSE only CPU that is still receiving current definition updates. smilie_denk_24.gif All in all, bad news! exaggpoing.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

...the air is getting very, very thin for anyone who wants to run an antimalware programme with real-time protection on a machine with an SSE only CPU that is still receiving current definition updates.

The last possibility appears to be Kaspersky 18:

https://support.kaspersky.com/us/common/compatibility/15479

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

The last possibility appears to be Kaspersky 18:

Possibility to get their original Windows system files modified by Kaspersky into the hell knows what?

Posted (edited)

Although I have said that the air is getting very, very thin for anyone who wants to run an antimalware programme with real-time protection on a machine with an SSE only CPU that is still receiving current definition updates, however, common sense should not desert the user of such old computers. :no: I will test whether Panda Free Antivirus will run on computers with a CPU that does not have SSE2 support. Maybe, there are other users who have already gained experience with Panda Free Antivirus on such computers and are willing to share their knowledge. :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

FYI, I had a "nice" conversation in the Malwarebytes Forums
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/309490-have-you-all-stopped-making-updates/
Unfortunately, there won't be any further definition updates for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Pro 1.75.0.1300. They have deliberately stopped rolling out current definition updates for this version. :angry:

Thus, I have updated my lists in the second and fourth post. smilie_denk_24.gif

Update notification! update.gif

Malware Hunter has been updated on 01.04.2024 and is now available in version 1.181.0.803. It is still listed to be compatible with Windows XP. Accordingly, I will update my article as soon as I can confirm its XP-compatibility.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 12:05 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Update notification! update.gif

Malware Hunter has been updated on 01.04.2024 and is now available in version 1.181.0.803. It is still listed to be compatible with Windows XP. Accordingly, I will update my article as soon as I can confirm its XP-compatibility.

I have Malware Hunter 1.181.0.803 installed on my Windows XP computer, and I can confirm that it is still XP-compatible. Therefore, I have updated my corresponding article. and my list in the second post of this thread.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content