Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

9 hours ago, Dixel said:

If you want to be recruited or renew some previous pre-1991 arrangements, I'm sure there's no need to go to Bratislava...

My list of “Ignored Users” has now grown to three accounts, but they probably all belong to the same person (or organization). You can’t say I wasn’t polite toward the “Dixel” resurrection. Bye bye! :hello:

17 hours ago, Cocodile said:

He won't tell, and I agree with you, words, words, words, lots of words, source - trust the words :)

I'm sorry, but seriously, @FranceBB tried to explain Avast's behavior to you as much as he can, and you don't appreciate it? This is disrespect and mockery, considering he took his time to write all of this to you, and you also wrote you don't like outdated articles (but want "Fact-checked" and up to date articles, and you sent an outdated article yourself), yet instead of taking the time to appreciate how he explained it as much as he can to you, you just disrespect and mock his explanation to you as "words, words, words, lots of words"! In my opinion, I think FranceBB shouldn't explain things to you next time then, if you will mock his explanations like that.

Edited by mina7601

2 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

My list of “Ignored Users” has now grown to three accounts, but they probably all belong to the same person (or organization). You can’t say I wasn’t polite toward the “Dixel” resurrection. Bye bye! :hello:

its good to know we finally have others on are side that understand the problem

Edited by legacyfan

On 6/30/2023 at 6:26 AM, Milkinis said:

Fast-forward to 2023 and they go out of their way to keep THEIR anti-virus running at all times if they can, they even deprecated the group policy to disable it which is now considered unsupported and isn't effective. Windows 11 is all about hooking you on Microsoft's services. Supposedly Windows Defender Antivirus (or whatever they call it these days) still disables itself if you install another, but I'm not interested in adopting Windows 11 at this point or running any anti-virus.

Haven't used one in over a decade and somehow I survived. Maybe we need a thread about surviving on the modern internet without an antivirus? There are articles suggesting using an anti-virus even on Android smartphones. I use an old version that's supposedly full of holes, been using that thing to interact with my bank and I even logged into the bank couple times in 2020-2021 on an XP x64 installation that is mostly patched to whatever was current in 2011. Nothing bad happened, although it's annoying that you have to use either Android app or Win10 app for 2FA if you even want to login to it on the computer. But the app on the phone alone is somehow secure... I considered changing bank, but I found nothing else of value that would justify bothering with it.

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I'm not interested in adopting Windows 11 at this point or running any anti-virus.

neither do I.

I wish XP lasts me up until W12 LTSC comes out or whatever bloated-less edition with XP visual style icons

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Haven't used one in over a decade and somehow I survived. Maybe we need a thread about surviving on the modern internet without an antivirus? 

you just can't imagine how many dumbs out there get to try to convince others that XP is not safe to use, and if you tell them that you use XP for everything without a real-time AV they are likelty to get a brain stroke LOL

Edited by Milkinis

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Maybe we need a thread about surviving on the modern internet without an antivirus?

Agreed.  I haven't used antivirus in well over 22 years (I relocated from one end of this midwest state to the other in the summer of '01, then 9/11 hit, so very easy to recollect).  I find them to be gigantic performance bottlenecks!

HOWEVER, that doesn't subtract from the "importance" of this thread for a very large segment of the population that "believes in" antivirus, so I still find this thread "useful" (even if not to me personally).

33 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I haven't used antivirus in well over 22 years 

you don't seem to download many things then....

Edited by Milkinis

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

There are articles suggesting using an anti-virus even on Android smartphones.

:OT
I am an experienced Android user for many years. And of course, I use an antivirus app there. On my smartphone and on all tablets. BTW, most of my posts, I write from my tablet as I am doing at the moment :P
:END OF OT

Edited by AstroSkipper

4 hours ago, Milkinis said:

you don't seem to download many things then....

I download a TON.

But I download from a VM clone and delete the clone when I'm done then create a new clone from my base install VM.  The base VM never gets touched.

edit - and I never actually "install" software.  I extract the installers, poke around to see what the installer is "doing", edit to my liking, MANUALLY copy files, MANUALLY create registry entries.

I do not "install" software by "executing" an installer.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

BTW, would Sandboxie belong in this thread? 5.22 is the last version that works on XP.

Sandboxie is an excellent suggestion, but I’ll bet it is already on AstroSkipper’s “internal list.” I can confirm that 5.22 was reportedly the last version to support XP and also that it worked on Vista x86 (see my August 30, 2019 post). @UCyborg are you actually using Sandboxie 5.22 on XP? I recall mentioning 5.22 in a Windows XP thread years ago, but @Sampei.Nihira insisted that an earlier version was best for XP. He was MSFN’s security guru for Windows XP in those days, so perhaps he might have something to add about Sandboxie etc.

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I extract the installers, poke around to see what the installer is "doing", edit to my liking, MANUALLY copy files, MANUALLY create registry entries.

you must be bored if you like to create registry entries and edit every single bit.

it's not worth the hassle as any virus scanner will do the dirty job for me. 

7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I wouldn't recommend no antivirus to someone that isn't into computers, but it can be done. :P BTW, would Sandboxie belong in this thread? 5.22 is the last version that works on XP.

Of course! Sandboxie belongs to the topic of this thread and is already on my internal list. It was installed in all my Windows XP partitions from the very first. I use the last XP-compatible version 5.22 and I love it. I use it regularly for testing tools I do not trust at first sight. In the past, the best news about Sandboxie was that it no longer required a licence and was declared open source in 2020. https://web.archive.org/web/20200425220152/https://community.sophos.com/products/sandboxie/f/forum/119641/important-sandboxie-open-source-code-is-available-for-download

Edited by AstroSkipper