Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

3 minutes ago, Monroe said:

The download I got at FileHippo is only 1.68 MB. Does that sound about right? It's not a very big program or download.

No, it's not right. Normally, VirtualBox's installer size is 100+ MB.

Edited by mina7601

3 hours ago, Monroe said:

The download I got at FileHippo is only 1.68 MB. Does that sound about right? It's not a very big program or download.

Means he gave you a link to an "online" installer. It's not right.

2 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

No, it's not, VirtualBox 4.3.28 installer size is 107 MB.

OK ... I guess FileHippo doesn't have what I want ... I will go to your link since I now know what size to look for. Thanks ...

2 minutes ago, Monroe said:

FileHippo used to be a good source for old programme versions. Unfortunately, that has changed. What you download there lately are only downloaders. Total crap! I have been avoiding this site for a long time. :yes:

Just now, Monroe said:

OK ... I guess FileHippo doesn't have what I want ... I will go to your link since I now know what size to look for. Thanks ...

You're welcome, yeah, my link is much better.

7 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

You're welcome, yeah, my link is much better.

OK ... found it using your earlier information ... this is what I downloaded: VirtualBox-4.3.28-100309-Win.exe / 13-May-2015 / 107M

So I should be good to go. Also thanks Cocodile and AstroSkipper for the help. I haven't been to FileHippo for a download for several years. Yes, it used to be a good site ... I didn't think that FileHippo download looked right so now I know for sure with your help.

1 minute ago, Monroe said:

this is what I downloaded: VirtualBox-4.3.28-100309-Win.exe / 13-May-2015 / 107M

Yes, you downloaded the right file, so you're good to go.

Edited by mina7601

28 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

My startup manager gives a notification for every newly created startup entry. Trust is good, but control is better. :P

Such a startup manager, which controls all startup entries, notifies newly created one, and gives the option to block it, I also consider a security programme. So, it is already on my internal list of security programmes for Windows XP.. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

13 minutes ago, Monroe said:

this is what I downloaded: VirtualBox-4.3.28-100309-Win.exe / 13-May-2015 / 107M

So I should be good to go

Should probably start a new thread as I suspect you are "new" to VirtualBox.

The easiest overly-simplified way to describe VirtualBox is "an operating system within an operating system".

3 hours ago, Monroe said:

thanks Cocodile and AstroSkipper for the help. I haven't been to FileHippo for a download for several years. Yes, it used to be a good site ... I didn't think that FileHippo download looked right so now I know for sure with your help.

You're very welcome, we are always glad to help our fellow members! And AstroSkipper provides with top-notch security software only, don't forget to read his other very useful threads! See his signature.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not all members enable "signatures" (I don't).  You can turn them off and on view profile settings.

That's why I wrote "AstroSkipper provides with top-notch security software only, don't forget to read his other very useful threads!" 

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

My startup manager gives a notification for every newly created startup entry. Trust is good, but control is better. :P

Is it light on the CPU in your XP machine? No additional load? I'm just afraid my old celeron (1core) wouldn't like the additional load.

Forgot to tell, it's a laptop.

Edited by Cocodile

4 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

Is it light in the CPU in your XP machine? No additional load? I'm just afraid my old celeron (1core) wouldn't like the additional load.

It is very light. No significant CPU load and very little RAM consumption. My computer has a very old single core CPU. So, no problem at all.