Who here has a Youtube-DL compile for WinXP?

j7n

3 hours ago, j7n said:

I use MkvToolNix,

A brilliant solution! The German software is always on top! I know newer versions, up to recent years, still work via CMD, it's just the interface that is not loading properly.

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... There's still some "volatility" surrounding this specific issue on the yt-dlp devs side :dubbio:; they keep going back and forth between the old and the new Twitter APIs:

Noticed that.

yt-dlp for XP (and Vista) is now updated to yt-dlp version nightly@2023.07.07 [92315c037]. :)

:o

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Over the course of years, support for many additional third party libs has been added, while some older libs have been deprecated and their support removed... Depending on the number of third party libs you compile FFmpeg with, the binary size can increase significantly :o

On my main Linux system I compile FFmpeg myself (with the help of this guide, and without libaom, libsvtav1 and libvmaf).

Resulting binary: ~32MB.

Does everything yt-dlp asks it to do. :)

Edited by nicolaasjan

• 1 month later...
Mmmm I see that the youtube-dl download hasn't been updated, but is "buggy" lately with several errors.

Is the end of updates for youtube-dl and time to switch to yt-dlp?

I'd prefer not, because I already created an environment for my downloads with youtube-dl and would have been a waste of time :S Edited by johk

Can't you use DLP directly in place of it? I think the basic command-line is compatible.

Recently YouTube figured out to return 403 Forbidden in the middle of a download, necessitating a manual check for completeness. Recent DLP seems to have a workaround for it.

3 hours ago, johk said:

Mmmm I see that the youtube-dl download hasn't been updated, but is "buggy" lately with several errors.

What errors exactly?

There is indeed some issue at the moment (YT changed something again...😡), as described here.

RegexNotFoundError: Unable to extract yt initial data

Maintainer @dirkf is aware of it and I'm confident he will eventually fix it.

YT is now ignoring the `ucbc=1` parameter that the extractor adds and redirecting via consent.youtube.com, for some pages. There is a fix but meanwhile try passing cookies from a browser session where you have already gone through the consent check, using the nightly build.

I think it's related to this yt-dlp issue, which is fixed now.

time to switch to yt-dlp?

I'd prefer not, because I already created an environment for my downloads with youtube-dl and would have been a waste of time

Just rename `yt-dlp.exe` to `youtube-dl.exe`. ;)

After having some troubles the last days dl'ing from yt with yt-dlp_x86 from 03-02 i decided to try a newer version, but the binaries from here didn't work: the x86 version complained about a missing api (update via -U option), the other yt-dlp.exe about missing python stuff.

The above linked version however works very well and resolved the previous issues. Many thanks @nicolaasjan!

1 hour ago, Mark-XP said:

but the binaries from here didn't work:
the x86 version complained about a missing api (update via -U option),
the other yt-dlp.exe about missing python stuff.

... Looks like you have a lot to catch up with :P ...

The official yt-dlp has long ago abandoned support for CPython 3.4 and, thus, the Windows XP OS... My personal records/archives indicate that yt-dlp v2021.06.09 is the last official binary that can launch under XP

[debug] Command-line config: ['-v']
WARNING: Support for Python version 3.4 have been deprecated and will break in future versions of yt-dlp! Update to Python 3.6 or above
[debug] Encodings: locale cp1253, fs mbcs, out cp737, pref cp1253
[debug] yt-dlp version 2021.06.09 (exe)
[debug] Python version 3.4.4 (CPython 32bit) - Windows-Vista-6.0.6003-SP2
[debug] exe versions: none
[debug] Proxy map: {}
Usage: yt-dlp_x86 [OPTIONS] URL [URL...]

yt-dlp_x86: error: You must provide at least one URL.
Type yt-dlp --help to see a list of all options.

Up to current times, the 32-bit official binary, yt-dlp_x86.exe, is being compiled with CPython 3.7, which requires Vista SP2 32-bit and higher ;) ...

The yt-dlp.exe official binary you mentioned is, in fact, 64-bit, compiled with CPython 3.8 and requires Windows 7 SP1 x64 and higher ;) ; additionally, the yt-dlp devs like/want to use the "latest and greatest" ( :whistle:) Python version (not the case, though, with the current youtube-dl maintainer :thumbup) and CPython 3.7/3.8 versions (3.7 EoL'ed by the PSF by now) might/will become unsupported in the near future :( ...

The yt-dlp binaries offered here in this thread have been compiled with "community" produced Python versions (patched - 3.7 - or recompiled from modified source - 3.8, 3.9) that have restored WinXP (and Vista :thumbup, in the case of 3.8/3.9) support ;) ...

Best regards :) .

Great, post lost on forum error :rolling eyes: yeah!!

I was writing that the usual errors, nicolas, and I'd have to switch, 7jn

(I'm not going to write all over) Edited by johk

On 7/7/2023 at 2:05 AM, nicolaasjan said:

without libaom, libsvtav1 and libvmaf).

Any counterindication ref leaving these off? I like the idea of 32mb ffmpeg, but I use one ffmpeg set, hardlinked to the very many programs that use it. I have been using https://rwijnsma.home.xs4all.nl/files/ffmpeg/?C=M&O=D, which works in all programs I use that use fffmpeg, except for the last xp version of kmplayer, which only likes its own.

Edited by dmiranda

3 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Any counterindication ref leaving these off?

It depends on whether you have to use these codecs for your specific encoding/decoding.

libsvtav1:

AV1 video encoder/decoder. Only the encoder is supported by FFmpeg, so building of the decoder is disabled.

So for being able to play AV1 video, libdav1d is enough for me.

libdav1d:

AV1 decoder, much faster than the one provided by libaom.

However, I prefer to save only h264 video (avc codec; ≤1080p) from YouTube, because that is the only format that plays hardware accelerated (via iGPU) on my PC. :(

yt-dlp command:

yt-dlp -f bestvideo[height<=1080][ext=mp4][vcodec^=avc]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/best[ext=mp4]/best "URL"

libvmaf:

Library for calculating the VMAF video quality metric.

No idea why I should need that.

11 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Looks like you have a lot to catch up with :P ...

Up to current times, the 32-bit official binary, yt-dlp_x86.exe, is being compiled with CPython 3.7, which requires Vista SP2 32-bit and higher ;) ...

The yt-dlp.exe official binary you mentioned is, in fact, 64-bit, compiled with CPython 3.8 and requires Windows 7 SP1 x64 and higher ;) ; additionally, the yt-dlp devs like/want to use the "latest and greatest" ( :whistle:) Python version (not the case, though, with the current youtube-dl maintainer :thumbup) and CPython 3.7/3.8 versions (3.7 EoL'ed by the PSF by now) might/will become unsupported in the near future :( ...

The yt-dlp binaries offered here in this thread have been compiled with "community" produced Python versions (patched - 3.7 - or recompiled from modified source - 3.8, 3.9) that have restored WinXP (and Vista :thumbup, in the case of 3.8/3.9) support ;) ...

Best regards :) .

Many thanks for the explanations, @VistaLover! Quintessence: i'll look in this thread here more often, to get a well maintained yt-dlp version for my classic XP and 7 environments. Best regards!

13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

The official yt-dlp has long ago abandoned support for CPython 3.4 and, thus, the Windows XP OS

"The official yt-dlp binary has long ago abandoned..."

The source itself, as far as I can tell, is still compatible. Even with my ancient pc. This still works for me:

python "yt-dlp_git\yt_dlp\__main__.py" -gf 22 "<youtube-id>"

2 hours ago, Reino said:

The source itself, as far as I can tell, is still compatible. Even with my ancient pc. This still works for me:

python "yt-dlp_git\yt_dlp\__main__.py" -gf 22 "<youtube-id>"

How did you do that?

On a Windows 7 VM with Python 3.4.4 32bit and the latest source, I get:

python "yt_dlp\__main__.py" -v "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kl6q_9qZOs"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "yt_dlp\__main__.py", line 14, in <module>
    import yt_dlp
  File "C:\Users\nico\Desktop\yt-dlp-master\yt_dlp\__init__.py", line 5
    f'You are using an unsupported version of Python. Only Python versions 3.7 and above are supported by yt-dlp')  # noqa: F541
                                                                                                                ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax