Who here has a Youtube-DL compile for WinXP?

j7n

This program is more valuable now that YouTube has begun a fight against ad-blockers in the web browser. Advertisements, on top of the overhead of the browser, lead to very poor experience. A method of disabling YTDL is likely in the works too because we can buypass the whole site by loading a video through search results.

4 hours ago, j7n said:

This program is more valuable now that YouTube has begun a fight against ad-blockers in the web browser.

Yes, you can follow the developments here, with instructions.

The Legacy uBlock Origin for e.g. the New Moon browser does not have the "Quick fixes" list, so you'll have add it yourself to "Custom".

This is the address:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets/master/filters/quick-fixes.txt

Since YouTube changes code very often, be sure to update the filter regularly.

[Edit]

I'm not sure these rules are compatible with the Legacy uBO...

I don't see them in the logger.

Edited by nicolaasjan

From now on I will provide yt-dlp built with Python 3.9. :)

(see comment 1254119)

[debug] Command-line config: ['-v', '--ignore-config']
[debug] Encodings: locale cp1252, fs utf-8, pref cp1252, out cp1252 (No VT), error cp1252 (No VT), screen cp1252 (No VT)
[debug] yt-dlp version nightly@2023.10.23 [a40e0b37d] (win_x86_exe)
[debug] Python 3.9.13 (CPython x86 32bit) - Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 (OpenSSL 3.1.0-dev )
[debug] exe versions: ffmpeg N-111893-gbef151d-Reino (setts), ffprobe N-111893-gbef151d-Reino
[debug] Optional libraries: Cryptodome-3.19.0, brotli-1.1.0, certifi-2023.07.22, mutagen-1.47.0, requests-2.31.0, sqlite3-3.37.2, urllib3-2.0.6, websockets-11.0.3
[debug] Proxy map: {}
[debug] Request Handlers: urllib, requests
[debug] Loaded 1890 extractors

• 2 weeks later...

A minor thing they should improve.

When downloading a HTTP Live Stream from internet radio, the file is given an MP4 extension, when it is in Transport Stream format.

• 2 months later...

FYI:

@Reino updated his FFmpeg version for XP. :)

Another round of binaries. Yes, I've still managed to compile some! devil.gif

I'm afraid Gianluigi won't be updating his repo anymore, seeing his latest commit is from a year ago. So unless there's someone who can help me with '0003-load-shared-libfdk-aac-library-dynamically.patch', my builds will be without libfdk-aac, because sadly I still can't code in C/C++.

I've managed to add support for JPEG XL (libjxl). It took me quite some time and a lot of trial and error, but it works.

The cryptography-library MbedTLS can't be updated anymore. I found out the hard way that v3.5.0 (and v2.28.5) now requires Python 3.8. Next time I'll have a look at whether LibTLS (part of LibreSSL) might be substitute.

Download here.

• 3 weeks later...

A post was lost. It basically said that in order to download the best combination of video and audio, you need to get back to the previous to last version of ffmpeg by @reino, advertised in the signature by @nicolaasjan.. The latest ffmpeg build makes the system contend ffmpeg is not installed, so 3 or 4 of the best versions are downloaded, without joining them (generally in a matroska file). 

15 hours ago, dmiranda said:

A post was lost. It basically said that in order to download the best combination of video and audio, you need to get back to the previous to last version of ffmpeg by @reino, advertised in the signature by @nicolaasjan.. The latest ffmpeg build makes the system contend ffmpeg is not installed, so 3 or 4 of the best versions are downloaded, without joining them (generally in a matroska file). 

Here, video (from YouTube) downloads the separate audio and video and does combine them to one file with the latest FFmpeg from @Reino, though my hardware can't handle the higher resolutions with VP9 codec. :(

So, I always download mp4 1080p with avc codec (my screen isn't larger than that anyway). :)

Edited by nicolaasjan

• 1 month later...

right youtube unlike in the past much look like a commercial tv channel 

the idea however was different it was a plattform for users that tube (you) - tube 

it was a challenger against exactly this 

there where no ad´s, there where no odd filters 

i remember the makers had a such discussion about this in the past and denied to "connection" to the common others

but slowly it more and more got into that direction 

the same happens to google search at the moment, it find nothing anymore 

in the past youtube also had challengers like veoh and other video plattforms 

it looks hard to me to find a replacement for youtube at the moment - but if youtube continue that way it might be the only option to go to a other plattform 

one challenger the commercial tv wont get rid of the is the smartphone, it basicly has replaced the common tv 

i gone away from google search already, here we have alternativ plattforms