My Browser Builds (Part 4)

39 minutes ago, cloudstr said:

After I applied this "fix": "http://o.rthost.win/gpc/files1.rt/pm26xp-no-manifest.7z", it no longer crashes anymore. Apparently the file "palemoon.exe" from the package is an older version but still works.

I really wonder what this "fix" does?

this removes embedded manifest and patching MSVC*80 runtime to continue even if no manifest is found.

2 hours ago, roytam1 said:

this removes embedded manifest and patching MSVC*80 runtime to continue even if no manifest is found.

It would be nice if you could provide an update for the file "palemoon.exe" on "pm26xp-no-manifest.7z" package to lastest version, the current build is from 2020. Thanks a lot!

Edited by cloudstr

4 minutes ago, cloudstr said:

It would be nice if you could provide an update for the file "palemoon.exe" on "pm26xp-no-manifest.7z" package to lastest version, the current build is from 2020. Thanks a lot!

they have no difference between those builds.

On 8/26/2023 at 1:08 PM, feodor2 said:

By the way, has the playback of this been fixed on the x86 New Moon?

https://tools.woolyss.com/html5-audio-video-tester/?u=woolyss.com/f/caminandes-1-llama-drama-av1-opus.webm

... Plays fine here (media.av1.enabled;true)

eom9eHZ.png

On 8/26/2023 at 1:08 PM, feodor2 said:

... And it would indeed be nice if the UXP-based browsers were able to play HEVC-encoded video streams (I currently have to use 360EEv13 for these :whistle:); @roytam1, what do you think? :dubbio:

On 8/26/2023 at 7:21 PM, Mark-XP said:

with NM27: Observing it's under heaviest development the last years

Actually, the Tycho platform on which NM27 was originally based on (modified MozillaESR 38) is dead, buried and exhumed; what is being developed is ArcticFox 

https://github.com/rmottola/Arctic-Fox

the new "upstream" for NM27 ;) (which also gets backports from other sources, e.g. UXP ) ... The current application platform supporting NM27 has significantly diverged from Tycho; I'm not following closely AF's development, but if the latest release's version (42.1) is anything to go by ;) , I'd say AF is somewhere in the mid-40's Firefox versions, compat-wise :whistle:; this is still too low to address fully the beast the web has now become :realmad: (and if you're a regular here ;), you'd have noticed already how even the UXP-based browsers struggle with it :() ...

On 8/26/2023 at 7:21 PM, Mark-XP said:

Is the NM27's JS engine just too much outdated?

Answered above :P; if you can, use another browser for bandcamp and other such, media rich/script rich, services :angry: ; long gone is the time :(, especially on our "legacy" H/W and OSes, when only one browser application would "fit all" :P ...

58 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... Plays fine here (media.av1.enabled;true)

Though it's not good enough for YouTube for some reason.

59 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... And it would indeed be nice if the UXP-based browsers were able to play HEVC-encoded video streams (I currently have to use 360EEv13 for these :whistle:);

Any example websites?

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

And it would indeed be nice if the UXP-based browsers were able to play HEVC-encoded video streams (I currently have to use 360EEv13 for these :whistle:)

(Showing my ignorance here.) I would naively think that on Vista+, WMF would support HEVC. (I suppose you'd have to install a codec for it first.) But evidently there's more to it than that. Wouldn't help XP users anyway.

7 hours ago, VistaLover said:
On 8/26/2023 at 6:08 PM, feodor2 said:

... And it would indeed be nice if the UXP-based browsers were able to play HEVC-encoded video streams (I currently have to use 360EEv13 for these :whistle:); @roytam1, what do you think? :dubbio:

I could add some bits in fmp4(ffmpeg hevc bits are already in), but even mozilla doesn't fully supports HEVC video playback.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1842838

Edited by roytam1

I tried 360EE and sure enough, the HEVC clips do play, but I have an older APU without built-in HEVC decoding, so the video playback is unsatisfactorily choppy. So even if it worked in UXP, you'd probably need a reasonably up-to-date graphics card for it to be worthwhile.

OT: I suspect that's a deal-breaker for ATSC 3.0 on this old PC, unless I buy a new graphics card for it. (And the card would need Win 7 drivers, so it couldn't be too new....)

On 8/27/2023 at 10:03 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The discussion was not in regards to "needing" that UA, but rather in regards to reverse-engineering what Chase.com is sniffing for.

I perfectly understand you always have to disagree with me, but you didn't even understand what I wrote, besides that unique fingerprint. for all desktop browsers, there was a simplification of UA, quite some time ago. So yeah, all sites, esp. those that deal with finances, will consider such UA as an extremely rare case, of course plenty of other sniffing measures will be activated. I bet it was the first time they registered someone with that unique UA, among other hundreds of thousands of their daily visitors. 

I'm looking forward to read when you disagree with me again, preferably in even more rude manner, it's always enjoyable to read.