My Browser Builds (Part 4)

... Well. the Protonmail can't-log-in bug has now hit "upstream", with the release of PM 32.4.0

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30256

As is common in such cases ;), Moonchild was quick to put the blame on Protonmail rather than on his own browser :whistle:...

It is also suggested there that @Mehmed's solution posted here isn't really foolproof, because the bodies of older e-mails, encrypted with the old RSA (2048) 4096-bit key, can't be decrypted with the newly created ECC Curve25519 key and, as a consequence, those older e-mails can't be read anymore by their original recipient :( ...

Edited by VistaLover
... forgetting my English; aging is dire :-(

On 9/4/2023 at 4:56 PM, Mehmed said:

in multiprocess mode, the browser crashes.

On 9/4/2023 at 7:10 PM, roytam1 said:
On 9/5/2023 at 5:24 AM, roytam1 said:

I decided to revert all of these since IPDL changes are needed to make these change to work properly.

... Again, cautionary words from "upstream" ;) :

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=242821#p242821

downstream should realize that I have consistently NOT been porting e10s related sec bugs since e10s is not supported by us. If they use e10s, they are missing a few hundred sec fixes. The vast majority of Mozilla's sec bugs are directly or indirectly related to e10s.

... So, as I've stated multiple times in the past myself, "use e10s at your own risk" (I'm not, if you care to ask :whistle:) ...

9 minutes ago, VistaLover said:
On 9/4/2023 at 3:56 PM, Mehmed said:

in multiprocess mode, the browser crashes.

On 9/4/2023 at 6:10 PM, roytam1 said:
On 9/5/2023 at 4:24 AM, roytam1 said:

I decided to revert all of these since IPDL changes are needed to make these change to work properly.

... Again, cautionary words from "upstream" ;) :

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=242821#p242821

downstream should realize that I have consistently NOT been porting e10s related sec bugs since e10s is not supported by us. If they use e10s, they are missing a few hundred sec fixes. The vast majority of Mozilla's sec bugs are directly or indirectly related to e10s.

... So, as I've stated multiple times in the past myself, "use e10s at your own risk" (I'm not, if you care to ask :whistle:) ...

Browsers like Serpent and Mypal 68 in single-process mode, that's what I only use under Windows XP. Stable and ideal for old computers. :)

Of course MCP hasn't bothered porting e10s fixes to UXP. It would obviously be a pointless waste of time for them to do so, since neither Pale Moon nor official Basilisk (no longer a MCP property, but still dependent on UXP) supports e10s.

As a satisfied e10s user, I'm not terribly worried about the security concerns; UXP browsers using e10s are a pretty tiny target for hackers! But that (and Mypal 68) aside, @Mehmed appears to have discovered the first Web page that out-and-out crashes UXP under e10s. @roytam1's unsuccessful fix attempt suggests to me that the Web site is causing UXP code to run that destroys an object in use by other processes. I'm guessing a true fix would require maintaining a count of processes using the object in question so that only the final process calling that code would actually destroy the object. That may require more extensive surgery on UXP than we were hoping for.

As a workaround, since the problem currently affects only a single Web site, how about a bookmarklet? It's quite a bit above my level of expertise, but the Classic Add-Ons Archive has some Javascript code (intended for Waterfox Classic) that I think could be borrowed to open the problem Web site in a single-process browser instance.

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

@roytam1's unsuccessful fix attempt

I'd say that is "successful" but it may lead to another problem, "memory leaking". thats why I finally reverted all of them.

I'm guessing a true fix would require maintaining a count of processes using the object in question so that only the final process calling that code would actually destroy the object.

mozilla's fix is doing this, but underlying infrastructure (i.e. IPDL) is needed to be updated in order to apply that fix. and of course those changes are too huge for me to handle.

since the problem currently affects only a single Web site

not really, every page that allows opening file dialog for uploading/processing will be affected by that "fix".
reverting those changes actually fixes the problem that fix brings to us.

Edited by roytam1

ebay UK have done it again...

This week they seem to have broken the "Submit bid" button for me on Serpent/UXP for XP.

When I click on an item's "Submit bid" (logged in), I get a messagebox saying

"Oops! Looks like we're having trouble connecting to our server.

Refresh your browser window to try again."

Can this be made to work again in Serpent?

Or do I need to do something to make it work?

I'm using "Win32 https://o.rthost.win/basilisk/basilisk52-g4.8.win32-git-20230902-3219d2d-uxp-e27e1cd712-xpmod.7z"

As always, thanks for the work you do roytam1. It's appreciated.

Edited by Sparrow
more detail

Yep, roytam1 is absolutely right, version_20230902 will crash on any page where there is a file upload/processing dialog opening.
Here are more examples:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload
https://www.imagebam.com/
https://www.deepl.com/translator/files
https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&op=docs

And about the problems with the e10s and its support..... Moonchild can howl all he wants (that's why he's a wolf)... But Serpent is valuable because it allows you to parallelize processes, which makes the browser much more comfortable. And at least it doesn't throw the system into BSOD like Mypal68 (with all due respect to feodor2's work.).

Well, I stayed on 20230825 for reasons unrelated to e10s, so I didn't realize that e10s is essentially broken in 20230902 - at least if you want to upload files. I thought it was specific to the web site @Mehmed mentioned initially - and I thought that site was broken on all browser versions if e10s was active!

I did suspect @roytam1's fix would cause a memory leak - I didn't realize he's reverting not only his own fix but also the change that made a fix necessary in the first place (well, since I didn't realize the breakage was specific to 20230902).

Moonchild has strong opinions, one of which is that e10s is always a bad idea. And, to be fair to him, it's not particularly necessary if you're running 64-bit code on a 64-bit OS, where your address space is essentially unlimited. But I suspect most users of @roytam1's browsers are running the 32-bit versions, and e10s is much more helpful in that environment, at least if you have lots of RAM and/or a fast swapfile device. (It does have its downsides though.)

11 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I did suspect @roytam1's fix would cause a memory leak

yeah normally it will cause memory leak, but that is a reference-counting pointer/object so it will delete itself if there is no more variable referencing it.

5 minutes ago, Mark-XP said:

i heard about the massive rainfalls and deluges in greece and now in Hong Kong: hope you both are passably fine anyway @roytam1 and @VistaLover!

thanks for your words. since there is no flooding or power outage in the place I live so it is fine here.

1 hour ago, Mark-XP said:

I heard about the massive rainfalls and deluges in Greece and now in Hong Kong: hope you both are passably fine anyway @roytam1 and @VistaLover!

Thanks for your genuine concern :) ; I live in Northern Greece, in a region that was spared by that enormous physical disaster, whose magnitude was never before seen in European territories (but I do remember the floods in Germany a year or more (?) ago); Thessaly (and, especially, Magnesia), the most fertile Greek region, has suffered the most acute blow of Daniel, but the mourning sentiment is shared by the whole Greek nation (the floods only accentuated the sense of sorrow already caused by the August wildfires, which practically completely charred the last virgin forests of Dadia, in the Evros region, close to the Turkish borders... The infrastructure in Thessaly will take from 3-5 years to be restored, the estimated cost from the wildfires+floods is in the €2bn region :( ...

2 hours ago, roytam1 said:

since there is no flooding or power outage in the place I live so it is fine here.

Comforting to know :), since, according to the media here, Saola was pretty intense :o ...

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:
4 hours ago, Mark-XP said:

I heard about the massive rainfalls and deluges in Greece and now in Hong Kong: hope you both are passably fine anyway @roytam1 and @VistaLover!

Thanks for your genuine concern :) ; I live in Northern Greece, in a region that was spared by that enormous physical disaster, whose magnitude was never before seen in European territories (but I do remember the floods in Germany a year or more (?) ago); Thessaly (and, especially, Magnesia), the most fertile Greek region, has suffered the most acute blow of Daniel, but the mourning sentiment is shared by the whole Greek nation (the floods only accentuated the sense of sorrow already caused by the August wildfires, which practically completely charred the last virgin forests of Dadia, in the Evros region, close to the Turkish borders... The infrastructure in Thessaly will take from 3-5 years to be restored, the estimated cost from the wildfires+floods is in the €2bn region :( ...

4 hours ago, roytam1 said:

since there is no flooding or power outage in the place I live so it is fine here.

Comforting to know :), since, according to the media here, Saola was pretty intense :o

Glad to hear that you both, @VistaLover and @roytam1, are not directly affected. :) But, one thing is clear in any case. All those who seriously claimed that the climate changes on planet Earth are of natural origin have finally been proven wrong, especially in the last few years. And the unteachable can no longer be helped anyway. nimportequoi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I'm glad too to read your status reports (but doleful for all the victims anyway).

Not denying it at all, imo the climate change is only the one side of the coin: in the german "Ahr valley" (where the flood desaster happened 2 years ago, which @VistaLoverreferred to above) similar catastrophes have happened ever again in former times:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Hochwasserereignisse_an_der_Ahr

Let me please indicate to the row with date "30. May 1602" for instance: 16 buildings were destroyed, 9 people drowned!

Now, what would you expect in casualties and damage if you multiply that former population with 10 or 20, add all the modern attendent infrastructure and simultaneously diminish the majority of natural flooding areas?

However, let's finish this off-topic - good to know the two protagonists of this thread are fine!