My Browser Builds (Part 4)

12 minutes ago, VistaLover said:
36 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

And if all we are going to do is CORRECT trivial matters - it's GREEK, not Greak!

... there's always the adjective Hellenic ,

Hellenic is a synonym for Greek. It means either:

1. of or pertaining to the Hellenic Republic (modern Greece) or Greek people (Hellenes, Greek: Έλληνες) and culture

2. of or pertaining to ancient Greece, ancient Greek people, culture and civilization.

which is actually the preferred one (i.e. how "foreigners" should refer to everything Greek) among "Greeks" of today...

(OT, I know, but I'm not the one who first committed that crime here :whistle:.. )

Thanks for your additional information! I had to learn ancient Greek at university. cours1.gif But that was a very long time ago. :P

10 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

What is your 5 pros and 5 cons for each?

I've used uMatrix and nMatrix for several years and all I ever hear around here is uBO, uBO, uBO.

But being accustomed to uMatrix and nMatrix (I think there was an eMatrix at one point in time), every time I tried uBO I felt it to be inferior...  by a very very wide margin.

For me the pro and cons might not go up to 5

uBO pro1: Include community filters that does a part of the heavy lifting when fine grain filtering is needed. So you can start with a configuration where everything is blocked by default (scripts, and all third parties stuff), then unlock manually what is needed while still having the fine-grain community filters apply to the domain you unblock.

uBO pro2: Much more powerful filtering abilities, including cosmetic filtering with element picker and zapper options that really let you do anything you want to a website.

uBO con1: Filter panel is only by domain and content type, ie. you get only access to the first column and the first line of the uMatrix (kinda), This is a huge minus and made uBO worthless for years to my eyes.

uMatrix pro1: Super intuitive Matrix, amazing interface, while still having huge amount of power.

uMatrix pro2: Easy to fix a website, most of the stuff that happens can be seen in the Matrix, meaning it is more foll-proof.

uMatrix con1: No longer maintained by R. Hill so the only maintained alternative is for UXP based platform with ηMatrix, meaning that you either have to use an outdated extension or stick to a single obscure browser, and I do use other browsers.

uMatrix con2: Not as powerful as would be needed sometime, Often you find yourself wanting to zoom inside a matrix element to be able to select which scripts/css/whatever should be filtered.

In the end I agree that combining both would bring ultimate power. But I do agree with you that initially I though uBO was useless stuff for newbies, but it is actually not bad. I forced myself to use it at some point over uMatrix, this forced me to appreciate its extended power and live with its limitations.

Another con of uBO for me was its reliance on community filters, but in the end this is a compromise, while I do not like to use filters that I did not write myself, I appreciate the time and hassle it saves, and I always find filters to be a bit too conservative anyway so it is not a big trouble for me.

PS: I guess eMatrix is a synonym for ηMatrix η is "Eta" in Greek.

49 minutes ago, RamonUn said:

uBO pro2: Much more powerful filtering abilities, including cosmetic filtering with element picker and zapper options that really let you do anything you want to a website.

So you're NOT using anything like Stylus?

uMatrix con1: No longer maintained by R. Hill so the only maintained alternative is for UXP based platform with ηMatrix, meaning that you either have to use an outdated extension or stick to a single obscure browser, and I do use other browsers.

I view this along the same as Firewalls in the XP thread.
A fully functional firewall serves its purpose whether it is 2 weeks old or 20 years old.
To me, "no longer maintained" is just a Red Herring.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring  (of course, I realize that capitalizing it may bring upon the outspoken MSFN-Killer Grammar Police...  don't care, life is too short...)

uMatrix con2: Not as powerful as would be needed sometime, Often you find yourself wanting to zoom inside a matrix element to be able to select which scripts/css/whatever should be filtered.

Does uBlock Origin have that zoom-in capability?
I myself use Proxomitron for that zoom-in, but it is far too complicated for most and you won't find it on the Chrome Web Store.

9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I had to learn ancient Greek at university.

I learned Latin.
But please, for the sake of Deus Omnipotens, let us not include ourselves (you and I) within the rank (singular case double entendre intended) of the small handful of Grammar Police here at MSFN.
I "see" typos and grammar mistakes all the time - do we really want MSFN to evolve into the atmosphere where 80+ percent of our "content" is a small handful of thesethese, or these?

Do you know what Discogs has done that makes it impossible to right-click on images in New Moon to open them in a new tab or save?

https://www.discogs.com/release/2872133-London-Starlight-Orchestra-Once-Upon-A-Time-In-The-West

Click on the cover artwork, a slow overlay image browser appears, it's not possible to view them on a small screen in 100%.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I learned Latin.
But please, for the sake of Deus Omnipotens, let us not include ourselves (you and I) within the rank (singular case double entendre intended) of the small handful of Grammar Police here at MSFN.
I "see" typos and grammar mistakes all the time - do we really want MSFN to evolve into the atmosphere where 80+ percent of our "content" is a small handful of thesethese, or these?

I studied among others classical philology i.e. the Latin language at university which needs ancient Greek knowledge. My hint was not meant to correct your spelling but make clear that ηMatrix and eMatrix is the same, in a rather mathematical form, just for fun. And I prefer to write words in their original form. Misspelling or typos are not the problem as you could see in my writing. And don't forget I am not a native English speaker! My German is far better than my English. :P

PS: According to "for the sake of Deus Omnipotens", I am not a believer, or more precisely, a practising atheist. Therefore, the following applies to me: deus omnipotens non est. Just FYI! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

34 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

So you're NOT using anything like Stylus?

1 hour ago, RamonUn said:

I view this along the same as Firewalls in the XP thread.
A fully functional firewall serves its purpose whether it is 2 weeks old or 20 years old.
To me, "no longer maintained" is just a Red Herring.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring  (of course, I realize that capitalizing it may bring upon the outspoken MSFN-Killer Grammar Police...  don't care, life is too short...)

I am not using Stylus, I try to minimize the amount of extensions.

An extension being supported does matter, not because of security bs but because it mean that I will be able to use it in the future when the browsers and the web will evolve.

For many software I do not care about having very old outdated version, I do use Paint Shop Pro 5 which dates back to 1998, I used to use MOD4WIN which is a 16bit program, (I still use it on my 32 bit computers), also I prefer Winamp2.x over Winamp 5.x. But when it comes to browsers extensions I like to use what I can easily recommend also I like sometime having new features, this Is why I also write software myself.

There is no cool Zoom-In option in uBO, you have to write complex filters manually, or use the zapper mode.

I do not think uMatrix is outdated, I think it fills a different usecase than uBO R. Hill declared that he considers uMatrix to be inferior but obviously he is just the dev and for him uBO was an evolution and he prefers his newer design there is only limited time to write software...

I would not advice you to switch to uBO but I just wanted to say that you can have a good uBO experience even as a former uMatrix fan. I do understand the path R. Hill took and even if I do not fully agree with his design on uBO I think it is a great product.

-- excuse me to be a bit off-topic --

32 minutes ago, RamonUn said:

I do use Paint Shop Pro 5 which dates back to 1998

I have a version of Paint Shop Pro from the early 90s running on a Commodore 64.

The C64 used an analog Channel 3 output and we used Paint Shop Pro to create our own "menus" on our old VHS tapes.

The menu would tell you how far to fast-forward the tape "counter" for the start of Ghostbusters, for example.  The real Ghostbusters from '84 and '89, not whatever you call these "remakes".

6 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I have a version of Paint Shop Pro from the early 90s running on a Commodore 64.

The C64 used an analog Channel 3 output and we used Paint Shop Pro to create our own "menus" on our old VHS tapes.

The menu would tell you how far to fast-forward the tape "counter" for the start of Ghostbusters, for example.  The real Ghostbusters from '84 and '89, not whatever you call these "remakes".

Nice I had the Amstrad in my family in the 90s, but are you still using your Commodore as a daily? It really was hard for me just to accept to use XP over Win98SE, I used Win98SE as a daily driver up to 2014, people were saying I was a boomer because I am still using XP when I was actually just starting up with XP (I was already familiar with XP but i was not liking it much especially because of poor DOS and WIN16 support but the web forced me). Now I really like XP and I will probably wait a long time before switching to Windows 7 as my personal OS. I still love and use Win98, one of the best Windows, but I mostly use XP.

1 minute ago, RamonUn said:

The real Ghostbusters from '84 and '89, not whatever you call these "remakes".

--really off-topic --

Nice to see there have been remakes, I might have a look when I get time to watch a movie.

A long time ago I used to routinely clear the Profiles' storage\default folder because it accumulated a lot of data – it's surprising how many web sites quietly use IndexedDB to persistently store who knows what in the profile. Later versions of Firefox handle these sneaky storage areas properly by tying there preservation or destruction to cookies.

An example is https://web.lloydsdirect.co.uk (there's no need for an account, the IndexDB stuff gets created just by landing on that page).

According to https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues/765 these changes were implemented some years ago but I'm seeing what looks like the old behaviour in Serpent. As far as I can see the storage\default folder is unconditionally accumulating data.

Is anyone else seeing the same thing?

Ben.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Off topic, but not too long ago 3 year old kid decided to play with our Apple TV remote (my wife uses an Apple TV for media streaming) and was hitting random buttons on the remote. He purchased GhostBusters: Afterlife for $30 before I realized that he had the remote as I was in the next room over washing some dishes.

The movie was definitely not worth the $30 he spent on it. It was terrible. Needless to say I enabled the parental controls on the Apple TV after that.

Edited by basilisk-dev

1 hour ago, basilisk-dev said:

Off topic, but not too long ago 3 year old kid decided to play with our Apple TV remote (my wife uses an Apple TV for media streaming) and was hitting random buttons on the remote. He purchased GhostBusters: Afterlife for $30 before I realized that he had the remote as I was in the next room over washing some dishes.

The movie was definitely not worth the $30 he spent on it. It was terrible. Needless to say I enabled the parental controls on the Apple TV after that.

OT
There is also something positive to be gained from this. Not every film necessarily has to be continued. :buehehe:
End of OT

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

5 hours ago, j7n said:

Do you know what Discogs has done that makes it impossible to
right-click on images in New Moon to open them in a new tab or save?

https://www.discogs.com/release/2872133-London-Starlight-Orchestra-Once-Upon-A-Time-In-The-West

Click on the cover artwork, a slow overlay image browser appears, it's not possible to view them on a small screen in 100%.

How small a screen are you talking about here? In any case, "hiding" artwork behind iframes is a known technique the sites employ...
On St52, I middle-clicked on the Clint Eastwood "thumbnail" and in an adjacent tab it loaded:

https://www.discogs.com/release/2872133-London-Starlight-Orchestra-Once-Upon-A-Time-In-The-West/image/SW1hZ2U6NTE2NDE5OQ==

Carefully placing my cursor near one of the four image corners, I find the "context menu" is enabled, through which I can either copy the image URI,

https://i.discogs.com/u7OohGushz9n7OLJKxejCKnTplWEFK2ZCqgRQgYZ3D0/rs:fit/g:sm/q:90/h:600/w:600/czM6Ly9kaXNjb2dz/LWRhdGFiYXNlLWlt/YWdlcy9SLTI4NzIx/MzMtMTMwNDk4MTgz/NS5qcGVn.jpeg

or directly save the image on disk:

ZEURy1y.png

4 hours ago, Ben Markson said:

An example is https://web.lloydsdirect.co.uk (there's no need for an account, the IndexDB stuff gets created just by landing on that page).
but I'm seeing what looks like the old behaviour in Serpent.
As far as I can see, the storage\default folder is unconditionally accumulating data.

In St52, if in site settings I specify:

sZe6Eso.png

then, upon visiting the URL you referenced,

https://web.lloydsdirect.co.uk/sign-up/create-account,

my IndexedDB storage isn't populated with data from "lloydsdirect.co.uk"; however, the same is true for cookies set from that hostname, which isn't useful on a log-in page, obviously :whistle:; as you said, site data (indexedDB) and cookies are interlinked under the "Cookies" moniker...
Have you considered the "Allow for Session" setting? FWIW, you'd be auto signed out once you restart your browser session...

Edit: I tried myself the "Allow for Session" setting; unfortunately, on page load I do get a

"https+++web.lloydsdirect.co.uk"

directory created inside my storage folder, however that directory isn't wiped out :no: once I restart Serpent 52 :angry: ...

Edited by VistaLover