My Browser Builds (Part 4)

1 minute ago, VistaLover said:

... Well. "I" took that to mean he's offering to facilitate any infrastructure migration of the Roytam1 projects, should the existing infrastructure (GitHub repositories, binaries hosting server, etc.) becomes blocked by the HK regime; not as contributing actual code to those projects; but, of course, I'm not basilisk-dev myself...

What I meant here is that I can help roytam1 with whatever assistance he may need to continue Serpent and any of his other XP browser projects.

Some examples could include paying for a server to host a git repo that is accessible in China/HK, providing mirrors of his builds, or providing him with a mirror of the UXP/Pale Moon/Basilisk/etc codebases that is accessible from China/HK, etc.

12 hours ago, Milkinis said:

I wish @roytam1 and @basilisk-dev could concentrate their efforts on Mypal 68 rather than having them working on 3  different projects at a time

MyPal 68 is not compatible with XUL extensions. I have no interest in non-XUL based Firefox browsers.

56 minutes ago, basilisk-dev said:

MyPal 68 is not compatible with XUL extensions. I have no interest in non-XUL based Firefox browsers.

how many W7+ users do have interest on a browser with very limited number of extensions ?

2 hours ago, Milkinis said:
3 hours ago, basilisk-dev said:

how many W7+ users do have interest on a browser with very limited number of extensions ?

Especially Serpent (a fork from Basilisk) supports a huge number of extensions. This browser is compatible with both types, legacy XUL extensions and webextensions. And generally, XUL extensions are much less restricted in browsers than webextensions. TBH, leagacy XUL extensions are actually not restricted at all. And they can easily be modified. Therefore, I prefer them. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

5 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

I wonder what % of internet users roll without extensions? Didn't even Mozilla say back in the day that most of their users don't use extensions?

I'd even go one step further.  What percentage of internet users roll with "active" extensions versus "passive" extensions.

uMatrix is "active", requires the end user to create their own rules.

uBlock Origin is "passive", runs in the background and strives for no user-interaction whatsoever, to the point that some users FORGET it's even there and never think that their current web site is "broken" because of uBlock Origin's decisions made "for" the user.

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

uBlock Origin is "passive", runs in the background and strives for no user-interaction whatsoever, to the point that some users FORGET it's even there and never think that their current web site is "broken" because of uBlock Origin's decisions made "for" the user.

I use uBlock origin in "Advanced mode" so that it includes a mini uMatrix It does break half websites I visit and I spend a lot of time adjusting the settings. I used to be a uMatrix dye hard fan, but I was spending a bit too much time configuring it, and some time I was unable to reach my goal, so I ended switching to uBlock (also because it has more powerful additional filtering options). I do regret the basic and simple power of uMatrix. I still think uBlock should include the uMatrix panel which was more powerful than uBlock's advanced mode pannel. I tried running both extensions at the same time but the slowdown was significant and it is even more of a mess to play around with.

So I would not call uBlock Origin a passive extensions , It just can be used passively unlike uMatrix.

50 minutes ago, RamonUn said:

I use uBlock origin in "Advanced mode" so that it includes a mini uMatrix It does break half websites I visit and I spend a lot of time adjusting the settings. I used to be a uMatrix dye hard fan, but I was spending a bit too much time configuring it, and some time I was unable to reach my goal, so I ended switching to uBlock (also because it has more powerful additional filtering options). I do regret the basic and simple power of uMatrix. I still think uBlock should include the uMatrix panel which was more powerful than uBlock's advanced mode pannel. I tried running both extensions at the same time but the slowdown was significant and it is even more of a mess to play around with.

So I would not call uBlock Origin a passive extensions , It just can be used passively unlike uMatrix.

I always use both extensions, uBlock Origin in standard mode and ηMatrix. For me, a working combination but they have to be configured correctly. In any case, they are great extensions. ssuper5sur5.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

I always use both extensions, uBlock Origin in standard mode and ηMatrix.

What is your 5 pros and 5 cons for each?

I've used uMatrix and nMatrix for several years and all I ever hear around here is uBO, uBO, uBO.

But being accustomed to uMatrix and nMatrix (I think there was an eMatrix at one point in time), every time I tried uBO I felt it to be inferior...  by a very very wide margin.

56 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

What is your 5 pros and 5 cons for each?

I've used uMatrix and nMatrix for several years and all I ever hear around here is uBO, uBO, uBO.

But being accustomed to uMatrix and nMatrix (I think there was an eMatrix at one point in time), every time I tried uBO I felt it to be inferior...  by a very very wide margin.

The following equation applies: ηMatrix = eMatrix (true)
BTW, η is a Greek letter and not the Latin letter n. As @RamonUn already described above, uBlock Origin is a mighty tool when working in advanced mode. But it is more complicated in this mode than in standard mode. And misconfiguring is also much easier. :P uBlock Origin and ηMatrix combined gives the user full control over a website while surfing it. Simply great! :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

8 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

BTW, η is a Greak letter and not the Latin letter n.

EVERYBODY knows that.  I will still forever refer to it as n and u - because those letters are on my keyboard and life is too short to fetch the Greek.

And if all we are going to do is CORRECT trivial matters - it's GREEK, not Greak!

47 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

EVERYBODY knows that.  I will still forever refer to it as n and u - because those letters are on my keyboard and life is too short to fetch the Greek.

Didn't look like it to me. And I don't think everyone knows that, either. And bold capital font is shouting and should rather be avoided. BTW, nMatrix doesn't exist.

47 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

And if all we are going to do is CORRECT trivial matters - it's GREEK, not Greak!

Oh my dear! A misspelling! How could this happen? Thanks for the hint! Unfortunately, these capital letters again! And no good mood, either. Maybe, a look at this smiley helps! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

12 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

... there's always the adjective Hellenic ,

Hellenic is a synonym for Greek. It means either:

1. of or pertaining to the Hellenic Republic (modern Greece) or Greek people (Hellenes, Greek: Έλληνες) and culture

2. of or pertaining to ancient Greece, ancient Greek people, culture and civilization.

which is actually the preferred one (i.e. how "foreigners" should refer to everything Greek) among "Greeks" of today...

(OT, I know, but I'm not the one who first committed that crime here :whistle:.. )