Mypal 68 in Windows XP - Custom Buttons and Extensions

Add custom search engine

With the extension Add custom search engine, you can create custom search engine entries for the search bar and the URL bar. Your custom search engine needs a name and search URL. Additionally, the user can determine an icon, a suggestion URL, POST query parameters, the input encoding and a description. Icons can be selected from your local computer or specified as an URL pointing to an image. The extension UI is accessible via a button right next to the URL/search bar or the options in the Add-ons Manager. Tested version: 4.2

Here is a screenshot:

210175.png?modified=1622133567

Download link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/add-custom-search-engine/

The extension Add custom search engine is one of those I mentioned in my previous article Managing search engines in Mypal 68. I tested this extension by creating a custom search engine and adding it to Mypal 68. It worked without any problems. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Custom CSS scripts to modify the GUI of Mypal 68

Here is a screenshot showing Mypal 68 with the tab bar below the navigation and bookmarks bar:

Mypal-68-13-4-Tabs-below-navigation-and-

And here is a screenshot showing Mypal 68 with the tab bar on the bottom of the window:

Mypal-68-13-4-Tabs-on-the-bottom-of-the-

All was done by using already existing, custom CSS stylesheets to move the tab bar to a desired position. This time, I only used scripts from CustomCSSforFx.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

I am old school. oldschool.gif Thus, I prefer to have my tab bar directly below the navigation and bookmarks bar as it was in the older days. Anyone who uses UXP browsers or old Firefox versions will be familiar with the Tab Utilities Phoenix  or Tab Mix Plus extensions, which make changing the position of the tab bar in these browsers child's play. Interestingly. there are also Tab Mix Plus versions for the newer Firefox versions. Unfortunately, these do not work with Mypal 68; at least Firefox in version 78 is required. :(

Edited by AstroSkipper

Hi there. About superstop, very nice. It cuts the crap out of "social media" very fast.

I tweak mypal (and sp52) with user.js tricks, however, so the actual gain is for me marginal.

I actually prefer Tab reloader (0.6.1). It fails to import settings (with my tweaked user.js set up), but if you enter your settings manually (AND SAVE), it seems to do the trick. The same applies to sp52. For what I understand, this addon uses workers to fight again workers that keep sucking resources in the background. It works in my set up.

My settings in the picture. They prevent refreshing and widgeting and attempting to sniff data all the time, very very effectively, allowing me to work on multiple tabs iwthout exhausting resources to a freezing point. Now, I can surf in style, even without multiprocess on. I will report back on that, later.

PS: I have also managed to solve (well, it solved itself) an issue I had making user.js work. I started rebuilding profiles from scratch (in sp52 and mypal), and suddenly it started working, which makes life so much easier.  

Cheers! 

Reloader.png

Edited by dmiranda

Update notification update.gif

A new beta version of Mypal 68 has been released, Mypal 68.13.6b. Release info:

The release devote to x64, but on xp64 its likely fails to run, please look discussion about in issues
Meantime added new js feature - may fix some site.

Also the BSOD problem is supposedly mitigated, who always have it pleas check this new version with default settings

Link: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/releases/tag/68.13.6b

Attention! Releases are supposed to be buggy. Here is quotation from GitHub:

New great bug in this release i delete it, wait the update next week.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

5 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Is it just me, or are both of those links 404's?

No, it's not you. @feodor2 actually removed the links. See: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/releases/tag/68.13.6b

The release devote to x64, but on xp64 its likely fails to run, please look discussion about in issues
Meantime added new js feature - may fix some site.

Also the BSOD problem is supposedly mitigated, who always have it pleas check this new version with default settings

New great bug in this release i delete it, wait the update next week.

Edited by mina7601

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Ah, thanks.  I was wondering how a post with dead links still got a "like", lol.

When I posted the links, they were still alive, and I already installed the 32-bit version. But now, I will remove the dead links from my post..

On 11/11/2023 at 4:05 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Ah, thanks.  I was wondering how a post with dead links still got a "like", lol.

"Guilty" as charged, it was me who placed the like to the very helpful post by the member @AstroSkipper, @AstroSkipper catches up with the latest developments like a lightning, both links were working fine, I installed the browser, but deleted it immediately as soon as I discovered it can't work with my paid audio streaming service. 

Can we now consider the investigation over? 

Mypal 68 is a great browser for all still using Windows XP. This browser is constantly being further developed and is now a real alternative if @roytam1's browsers can't cope with certain websites. And for those who miss the old Firefox user interface, there are ways to change the appearance of Mypal 68. In my first post of this thread, I already described how to activate the use of JavaScript scripts and CSS stylesheets in Mypal 68 by adding uc.js and css files. The last week, I have done that more deeply and changed the user interface to get rid of all personally perceived annoyances. I deleted and modified different elements and added new to the user interface. However, as I've mentioned before, I am not a professional programmer, more of a hobby coder, but I do have some JavaScript and CSS knowledge to make and implement such changes. :P And I have expanded my knowledge considerably. In the next post, I will then upload screenshots of my browser window to give you an impression of what I have already changed.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 11/13/2023 at 7:02 AM, Karla Sleutel said:

I installed the browser, but deleted it immediately as soon as I discovered it can't work with my paid audio streaming service.

Greetings :P; IMHO, it'd have been a service to this community if you had actually named that "streaming service" for which Mypal68 doesn't work, because you would've saved some other MSFN members the "hassle" you yourself went into ;) ...

According to my own investigations, the more prevalent audio streaming services (Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Amazon Music) use in-browser DRM (largely Google's :realmad: WidevineCDM), with the notable exceptions of Youtube Music and deezer (those two use different methods for protecting their audio streams :whistle:) ; I'm not very familiar with the codebase of Mypal68, but AFAIAA it doesn't support DRM; even if it did inherit the DRM support extant inside Mozilla Firefox 68, its initial fork point, the Widevine version supported by Fx68 has been long deprecated/blacklisted by Google and their WV licence servers - besides, Google make sure their blackboxed Widevine DLL only runs on Win7 SP1+; and even Win7 is going to be deprecated by Widevine, once Fx115esr reaches its EoS :( ...

As for AstroSkipper :), I'm absolutely confident he double- and triple-checked those links at the time his post went live, because that's how much meticulous he is on such matters :thumbup - it would be unrealistic to expect of him to (occasionally) check the validity of the links post-submission and, indeed, the fact they were removed by Mypal68's author soon after was quite unexpected, TBH :dubbio:...

Edited by VistaLover

22 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Mypal 68 is a great browser for all still using Windows XP. This browser is constantly being further developed and is now a real alternative if @roytam1's browsers can't cope with certain websites. And for those who miss the old Firefox user interface, there are ways to change the appearance of Mypal 68. In my first post of this thread, I already described how to activate the use of JavaScript scripts and CSS stylesheets in Mypal 68 by adding uc.js and css files. The last week, I have done that more deeply and changed the user interface to get rid of all personally perceived annoyances. I deleted and modified different elements and added new to the user interface. However, as I've mentioned before, I am not a professional programmer, more of a hobby coder, but I do have some JavaScript and CSS knowledge to make and implement such changes. :P And I have expanded my knowledge considerably. In the next post, I will then upload screenshots of my browser window to give you an impression of what I have already changed.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Here are some screenshots of Mypal 68 showing my changes to the user interface:

Mypal-68-user-interface-redesign.png

Mypal-68-user-interface-redesign-2.png

Mypal-68-user-interface-redesign-3.png

If you want to find all changes I have made, you simply have to compare my posted images with your interface of Mypal 68. BTW, I actually do not use themes, but I am a lover of (especially black) cats and found this one. wavingbcat.gif Therefore, I couldn't resist and made an exception this time. All my user interface modifications can't be done by using web extensions due to their damn restrictions in the more recent versions of Firefox. :( The only way is to change the source code of the browser or to inject JavaScript and CSS code into it. :thumbup More about the changes I made to the user interface coming soon.

Cheers, AstroSkipper starescreen.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

All my user interface modifications can't be done by using web extensions due to their damn restrictions in the more recent versions of Firefox. :(

I don't see it that way, it says in their name, "web" extensions. You can't expect "web" extension to change the "browser" since they naturally target mostly (with some exceptions) web pages. :P

Edited by UCyborg