Mypal 68 in Windows XP - Custom Buttons and Extensions

29 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

:dubbio:

screenshot.24.png

Are you using the new nightly build Mypal 68.13.0b? If so, maybe, Mozilla's addon site recognizes a higher version, or you have changed the user agent for addons.mozilla.org:dubbio: I am sure it is the last. I could find the uBlock Origin site on addons.mozilla.org in Mypal 68.13.0b only after changing my user agent to a higher (>= 78) Firefox version. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

18 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

no user agent switcher here. :cool:

screenshot.24.png

A user agent switcher is not necessary. Look in about:config whether there is an entry called general.useragent.override.addons.mozilla.org and check its value. If it is not existent, or the string contains a Firefox version less than 78, you can't find the uBlock Origin site on addons.mozilla.org:no:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

54 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

there's nothing. :cool:

screenshot.27.png

There is nothing more I can tell you. In my browser Mypal 68.13.0b, the uBlock Origin site on addons.mozilla.org doesn't appear unless the user agent is set to a higher Firefox version (>= 78). Anyway! uBlock Origin 1.47 won't work properly in Mypal 68. :no: It is not meant to work in Mypal 68.
Not-working.gif
Gorhill changed the minimum version not without reason. :yes: 
@Milkinis! For more information, read this post from @VistaLover

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

uBlock Origin (Web Extension) v1.47.3.1 (shown here) is actually: 

"uBlock0-1.47.3b1-git-20230224-gbb203d9"

There's an XPI for that in the GitHub repo:

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/download/1.47.3b1/uBlock0_1.47.3b1.firefox.signed.xpi

If one downloads the XPI on disk and then tries to install it in Mypal68, (I assume) it won't, because it requires Fx 79+, so I have no clue how it got there in the first place... Sometimes GitHub misbehaves and when you left-click the XPI link directly on the GitHub releases page, it'll bypass the "gecko" version check...

Another hypothesis: Although functionally incompatible with a gecko68 engine, build "uBlock0-1.47.1b0-git-20230215-ge83dbd8" (while available as an XPI) would have no issues installing; perhaps that one progressively auto-updated through to 1.47.3b1 somehow? gorhill only changed the gecko version to 79, as far as auto-update was concerned, on Feb 19/20th ... :dubbio:

Edited by VistaLover

• 4 weeks later...

Update notification! update.gif

@feodor2 has uploaded a new pre-release of Mypal 68.13.0. Here is his post:

and here is the link to GitHub: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/160#issuecomment-1546736807
JavaScript is now at level 78 in this new pre-release. Very important is to uninstall all language packs if used before installing this version. The new pre-release of Mypal 68.13.0 doesn't seem to be compatible with the old Firefox language packs. I already installed the new pre-release, and two sites which weren't working in the old pre-release are running again: VirusTotal and Leo. :cheerleader: More tests in the next days! In any case, @feodor2 made a great job! :thumbup Thanks again for sharing your work! :worship:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@feodor2 You mentioned the breakage of the old Firefox 68.12.esr language packs. Did you change a lot of entities in the en-US locales of your new pre-release? Or are there other reasons for the breakage? I had a quick look into them but before comparing to the old ones I thought it would be a good idea to ask the developer directly. :D

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

7 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

@feodor2 You mentioned the breakage of the old Firefox 68.12.esr language packs. Did you change a lot of entities in the en-US locales of your new pre-release? Or are there other reasons for the breakage? I had a quick look into them but before comparing to the old ones I thought it would be a good idea to ask the developer directly. :D

3 hours ago, feodor2 said:

About language packs you are right @AstroSkipper entries was changed, i cannot say how much though, you may try keep language id something breaks you know

Also i found that proxy settings window is already broken on this prerelease because of a typo.

@feodor2 Thanks for your reply and observations! When time is available, I will compare the locale files of your latest pre-release with the files of the old German language pack. Then I can clearly see which files and  entities have been changed. I did that already for MailNews from scratch and development is still in progress. The old language packs of Thunderbird 52.9 have not been working for many years. Therefore, I know what is to be done to get it working. The only real problem is always the extent of the changes. Unfortunately, it is usually a meticulous and elaborate detail work, and Mypal in English or German is actually the same for me. After comparison I will know more in any case. starescreen.gif 

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 2/25/2023 at 9:23 PM, AstroSkipper said:

the uBlock Origin site on addons.mozilla.org doesn't appear unless the user agent is set to a higher Firefox version (>= 78). Anyway! uBlock Origin 1.47 won't work properly in Mypal 68. :no: It is not meant to work in Mypal 68.

May be you know why even not 78 but 79

I have overrided minstrictversion to 79 for the fun, and latest ublock 49.2 seems works fine

image.png.800dc9271dccbb91d4f2cde12831c136.png

On 5/14/2023 at 7:32 PM, feodor2 said:
On 2/25/2023 at 8:23 PM, AstroSkipper said:

the uBlock Origin site on addons.mozilla.org doesn't appear unless the user agent is set to a higher Firefox version (>= 78). Anyway! uBlock Origin 1.47 won't work properly in Mypal 68. :no: It is not meant to work in Mypal 68.

May be you know why even not 78 but 79

I have overrided minstrictversion to 79 for the fun, and latest ublock 49.2 seems works fine

image.png.800dc9271dccbb91d4f2cde12831c136.png

Very good idea! I will also test uBlock Origin 1.49.2 in my installation. If it really works without compatibility problems, that would be a sensation. ssuper5sur5.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

@feodor2 I already tested different websites in your new pre-release. My Windows XP hardware is very old and logically weak. Therefore, I notice every little change in the speed of page loading. Your current pre-release loads all pages much faster. Everything is much smoother. I am thrilled. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 5/14/2023 at 3:29 PM, feodor2 said:

Also i found that proxy settings window is already broken on this prerelease because of a typo.

@feodor2 I assume you mean this error which occurs when clicking onto the button Settings:

Mypal-68-13-0-Network-Settings.png

Right? In any case, clicking this button leads to this error shown above in the console, and the Connection Settings page can't be opened. :(

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content