ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

13 hours ago, George King said:

@AstroSkipper I saw that in past. It was not bug in start /wait, but it was caused by used workaround in called app by using some kind of "SendKeys" commands. 

Of course, when you need to wait until is finished, another crazy workaround is possible.

start /wait "XX" cmd /c start mypapp.exe

And it can be also launched using invisible.vbs. Yes, it's crazy, but doable, until problematic code in called app is fixed :)

And yes, there could be like another 1000 different reasons why you see it as "bug" :)

Yeah, that's what I said. If you try this batch to launch the proxy, you'll observe the issue mentioned before:

@ECHO ON
TITLE Start ProxHTTPSProxy
CALL A.bat
START /WAIT "ProxHTTPSProxy 1.5" "ProxHTTPSProxy.EXE"
CALL B.bat
EXIT

Use dummy code for the batch files A.bat and B.bat. Or replace them by echo messages! Now, you'll definitely observe the bug i.e. the misbehaviour of this command. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

6 hours ago, George King said:

Can you explain me more bug you are talking about?

Greetings.

Minimal batch testcase. Tested in WinXP, Win Vista (long time ago) and Win8.1(just now). When child cmd closed with 'x' button in top right corner (or by taskkill /FI "WINDOWTITLE eq testX" ), parent cmd will ask "Terminate job batch" and return errorlevel -1073741510.

start /w "testX" cmd /k "echo Close me with 'x' button"
echo Errorlevel is %errorlevel%
pause

Workaround (unfotrunatly, with any errorlevel's loss from child app)

cmd /c "start "testX" /w cmd /k "echo Close me with x""
echo Errorlevel is %errorlevel%
pause

Best regards.

@George King Here is a short note on errorlevel -1073741510:

Ctrl-C

An errorlevel of -1073741510 will be interpreted by CMD.exe as a Ctrl-C Key sequence to cancel the current operation, not the entire script which EXIT will do.

This is a quotatation from here: https://ss64.com/nt/exit.html link.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

ordi07.gif

On 7/17/2022 at 12:20 AM, XPerceniol said:

I've got everything you have provided and will keep everything together and ask for help @AstroSkipper when I'm feeling a bit more energetic.

Hi @XPerceniol! Has your energy come back? Have you already tried @cmalex's proxy ProxyMII? A short guide can be found here if necessary:

Cheers, AstroSkipper captain.gif

I had a look, and can confirm that nircmd has a provision to act when a process is closed (waitprocess).

Of course it needs to be tested specifically if it causes too much CPU usage and if it works in this case.

nircmd also has a "start hidden" command (exec or exec2 /hide) so it could be used instead of cmdow.

jaclaz

57 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

I had a look, and can confirm that nircmd has a provision to act when a process is closed (waitprocess).

Of course it needs to be tested specifically if it causes too much CPU usage and if it works in this case.

nircmd also has a "start hidden" command (exec or exec2 /hide) so it could be used instead of cmdow.

jaclaz

Thanks for your reply! I know nircmd very well, and I used in the past, too. But cmdow is really great. A lot of parameters! I use it when windows have to be controlled in a batch in different ways. :thumbup

AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 7/22/2022 at 12:15 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Yeah, that's what I said. If you try this batch to launch the proxy, you'll observe the issue mentioned before:

@ECHO ON
TITLE Start ProxHTTPSProxy
CALL A.bat
START /WAIT "ProxHTTPSProxy 1.5" "ProxHTTPSProxy.EXE"
CALL B.bat
EXIT

Use dummy code for the batch files A.bat and B.bat. Or replace them by echo messages! Now, you'll definitely observe the bug i.e. the misbehaviour of this command. :)

Hi @George King! Here now is the code of a batch with the command start /wait, which works as it should:

@echo on
echo Notepad will be executed
start "Notepad" /wait notepad.exe
echo Notepad has been executed and closed
pause
exit

You see the command start /wait works with some programs, and with others, it doesn't. That is the epitome of a bug! :yes: In the case of starting ProxyMII, the command start /wait fails completely as it is described in Microsoft's documentation. :(

Kindest regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Hello to all! :hello: In a nutshell, just to keep you informed, an update on progress in the development of ProxHTTPSPoxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3. The programming work has been nearly finished. Due to the implementation of three new features I had more programming work as I thought. A bit of branding has to be done, too. thinking.gif At next, I have to revise the documentation and to rewrite a lot, unfortunately. The documentation also needs to be expanded to include these new features. Therefore, a lot to do! :yes:  After that work the testing phase will start as soon as possible.
But, frankly, it is fun, of course. treshappy.gif Stay tuned! ssuper5sur5.gifTomorrow, maybe, I will upload a first screenshot if I can.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Hello to all! :hello: Here is the next update on progress in the development of ProxHTTPSPoxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3. Actually, the programming work should have ended, but, after further tests I found some new bugs. :realmad: I could fix them, at least I think so. :dubbio: I hope there are not more. As promised I uploaded a screenshot of ProxHTTPSPoxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3. Here it is:
Prox-HTTPSProxy-s-Pop-Menu-TLS-1-3-3-V3.
Looking at the picture you can see two new entries in the pop-up menu, Minimize ProxHTTPSProxy To Systray and Restore ProxHTTPSProxy From Systray. The arrow shows ProxHTTPSProxy minimized to systray. I replaced the new icon of @cmalex's ProxyMII by the old one. More new features are inside my package and not visible in the picture. One thing is clear, of course, the best feature of this package is the TLS 1.3 functionality, provided by @cmalex's ProxyMII.
We can't thank him enough for that! Applause applause! bravo.gif
More in the next days! Stay tuned! ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Addition

@George King If you are on Windows XP 64 Bit, please test the release ProxyMII! Here is the post with a download link of the most recent version: 

I think it will run on that OS too, but presumably, the MU website won't work due to signing problems. 

On 2/20/2022 at 4:09 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Due to support of SHA1 for signing certificates ProxHTTPSProxyMII 1.3a can be used in a Windows XP Professional x64 system to access MU successfully. More recent versions use SHA256 to sign certificates and fail while accessing MU.

Cheers, AstroSkipper :hello:

Edited by AstroSkipper

Hello again! This is the schedule of tasks to be done for ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3:
Writing a complete documentation (that is not so much fun! ecrire.gif lire2.gif), private testing of my package, fixing of potential bugs, creating an archive containing all necessary files, a short beta test, and then publishing my release of ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3. You see a bit of work has still to be done. So, stay tuned! :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Just an additional observation! I have two different Windows XP Professional SP3 partitions on my old computer. On the one all POSReady updates are installed, on the other none. After several tests of ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3  on both partitions, I can confirm that no POSReady updates are necessary to run the proxy. it does not seem to matter to have installed any POSReady updates to access websites in IE via TLS 1.3. It simply works. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello again! This is the schedule of tasks to be done for ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3:
Writing a complete documentation (that is not so much fun! ecrire.gif lire2.gif), private testing of my package, fixing of potential bugs, creating an archive containing all necessary files, a short beta test, and then publishing my release of ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3. You see a bit of work has still to be done. So, stay tuned! :thumbup

Nice, can't wait for this!