Windows 11 has officially been announced!

sunryze

8 hours ago, dencorso said:

With linux 64, one can run XPSP3 or even 7SP1 x64 inside Oracle VirtualBox and benefit from both OSes, regardless of evolving hardware and disappearing hardware support. Moreover, even Skynet or the Matrix have many inherent probs, so what? :unsure:

True, just saying with computers you almost can't avoid problems that make you wanna throw it outta the window, LOL!

Two really nice things about Linux; no licensing/activation and related nonsense and no random crap running in the background.

Also why MS can't get simple things like Night Light right? Well it works in version 1809, but in later builds the setting that picks the times from location doesn't really work reliably, it seems to always pick fixed times as if you had the other radio button checked, even though it says it's using the other times.

13 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Windows 11 is NOT a required upgrade

TBH, this is a classic blatant lie made by such companies to make user feel cozy to still be in "supported" land, but even if the software in question has a critical bug that prevents its basic function to ALWAYS work correctly, they won't do s*** about it. "Buy our latest version or f*** off!"

Edit: the only difference between MS and certain other companies being that MS somehow gets away with nonsensical decisions made in newer versions of software (at least with Windows) while such decisions would be fatal for a smaller company. But who knows, maybe even the latter doesn't always apply. A lot of people have s*** for brains.

Edited by UCyborg

11 hours ago, dencorso said:

Anything is a improovement from 10...  y'all ever hear of debian Buster?  :unsure:

Yes....I would agree with you but "anything" shouldn't include Windows......:cheerleader:

Debian is my favourite of all the distros... I don't have the time to test newer ones....most of them are based on one of the better distros and that is Debian...

bookie32

11 is now officially destroying a lot of computers. They updated the hardware requirements. TPM 2.0, UEFI  and Secure Boot are now all REQUIRED to be enabled and on.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/windows-11-requirements

It's Vista all over again. Plus, they also mentioned that you must have a CPU in the supported processors list to run 11.

11 is officially having a worse announcement than 10.

3 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

11 is now officially destroying a lot of computers. They updated the hardware requirements. TPM 2.0, UEFI  and Secure Boot are now all REQUIRED to be enabled and on.

Also no more fully free linux install with dual boot with Windows 11. Need have secure boot compatible loader that only exist on ubuntu. Wonder how long it will take for ms reject linux bootloader secure boot keys

If Windows 11 system requirements are going to be what they seem to be right now, I wonder how Microsoft will respond to Windows 10 End Of Service in 2025 when (official prediction) Windows 10 has a 53% market share among Windows computers. In my opinion, the deal breakers for Windows 11 will be the DirectX 12 compatible graphics adapter, Secure Boot, TPM 2.0, and CPU requirements.

Edited by ClassicNick

The Treacherous Platform Module is the most disturbing aspect. Corporations have been slowly stepping up security to take ownership away, and people accept it like the proverbial frog getting boiled, and even feel comforted by these innovations. SSL, signed drivers, certificates everywhere.

Incompatible computers can of course continue running a suitable unsupported OS. But "Wintel" would rather send those computers to a landfill, while preaching about power savings or other green peace.

Windows 11 is marketing tactics to help selling more hardware

Microsoft using it to help their affiliates cos they cant make money of it using the old methods

that's business no hate

overall i like this os

reboot and shutdown works better

animations apps, any gpu related tasks works better no stutters even when loaded

Edited by aviv00

For the build 21996, the following files should be replaced with the unmodified versions from Windows 10 21H1 iso, to allow Win 11 to run without the TPM 2.0 requirement:

appraiserres.dll

winsetup.dll

For the build 22000, the following files should be replaced, still with the copy from the 21H1 iso:

appraiserres.dll

winsetup.dll

boot.wim

WinPE appears to be broken in the last build.

Edited by Agorima

12 hours ago, Agorima said:

For the build 21996, the following files should be replaced with the unmodified versions from Windows 10 21H1 iso, to allow Win 11 to run without the TPM 2.0 requirement:

appraiserres.dll

winsetup.dll

For the build 22000, the following files should be replaced, still with the copy from the 21H1 iso:

appraiserres.dll

winsetup.dll

boot.wim

WinPE appears to be broken in the last build.

Edited 12 hours ago by Agorima

it works only for clean install or also for upgrade win10 to win11?

Edited by aviv00

Appears that UUPDump fails to integrate the .51 update and leaves you with a weird leak + Win11 insider build of 22000.1. Missing some features but more similar to the leaked build. UUPDump sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:19 AM, aviv00 said:

it works only for clean install or also for upgrade win10 to win11?

For UpGrade (On Live Windows) copy & replace appraiserres.dll from Windows 10 to Windows 11 sources folder

For Boot Install edit Windows Registry, for example (Shift + F10 and execute cmd commands):

17e55e9f-031a-4b6c-bbf9-181d41f30d70.thumb.jpg.c2baf564d35ee635f003c053b4595cc2.jpg

Reg Add HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig /V ByPassTPMCheck /T REG_DWORD /D 1
Reg Add HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig /V ByPassSecureBootCheck /T REG_DWORD /D 1

OR use Regedit GUI (view Source)

Source: https://allthings.how/how-to-install-windows-11-on-legacy-bios-without-secure-boot-or-tpm-2-0/

• 2 weeks later...

As Windows 8 killed off Aero support, we were still able to add it back.

Fortunately does not appear to be the same for the taskbar.

Open Shell does not hook correctly anymore and its possible it never will be. The taskbar was completely overhauled and is now UWP. Press F7 and you can find out. Action Center + Clock + Generic icons have been merged, removing the ability to hide certain ones you want to see which also kills off t-clock.

Not sure if these programs will be able to fix the issues, but if they aren't, they might as well be dead software at this point. DWM also has been overhauled with no sun in sight for bigmuscle to even get 2004 operating. As of right now, Aero, Classic start menus and customizable system trays are gone for good. :(

Also, Win11 is worse for multiple monitors. They removed the clock on secondary taskbars, which is something I heavily used and will not get used to not having it. It makes no sense to do so.

Windows 11 is just another release of disappointments and killed software.

Edited by Tonny52

My computer has 5 widescreen monitors.

I only put the clock on 2 of those 5.

I use T-Clock Redux x64 2.3.2 build 151 for the clock on Monitor #1 and DS Clock 2.6.3 for the clock on Monitor #3.

T-Clock replaces the XP systray clock, DS Clock can be placed whereever you want it.

Not sure if DS Clock will run in 11 or not.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:45 PM, Tonny52 said:

No 32-bit support? Microsoft is going full dystopian now.

In case anyone isn't aware, but Microsoft has quote on quote dropped 32-bit support on Windows 10 as well. I can't remember which version was the last, might have been 2004...that you can't do a new install of Windows 10 32-bit. Now if you do have an older version of Windows 10 installed you can still fetch the newer version via Windows Update and it will install and run just fine. But that means they're already axing 32-bit support. I can understand why they're doing it even if I don't necessarily agree with it either. But as someone else mentioned in the thread, it was inevitable for this to happen since the server versions dropped that in Windows Server 2008 R2 (based on Windows 7). And with Windows 11 having such steep requirements, they probably figure there's no sense to have a 32-bit version and have to keep two different repositories for them and just focus on one single 64-bit because for *most* people, there's no benefit to having 32-bit over 64-bit.