Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

I just hunted for that VM and it seems I've archived it already.

I was experimenting quite a bit with different versions of Chrome and Chromium and I seem to recall having five or six versions installed in that VM.

I have what can be best described as "the exact opposite of color blind vision".

It's one of the reasons I remain on XP.

"Sub-pixel" font rendering is quite literally an eyesore for me - my vision can "see" red and green dots around the corners of the fonts and those red and green dots have a way of "flashing" and "dancing".

Of those five or six versions that I had installed, only one or two would render fonts in a way that would not give me ocular migraines.

17 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Why would you use text editor to edit binary file, which is what .doc is?

The proper editor for .doc is MS Word or at least any alternative that supports the format (think programs like LibreOffice Writer).

Hi UCyborg, I was looking for a program that can replace text in many files at once, Notepad++ was one of the recommended ones.

If I try to replace a 3 letter word in a test .doc document:   one   to   two   it works OK.

If I try to replace a 2 digit number in a test .doc document:   11   to   22   it works OK.

If I try to replace a 1 digit number in a test .doc document:   1   to   2   it gets corrupted.

If I try to replace a 4 digit number in my actual .doc document:   1111   to   2222   for some reason it can't replace it, which leads me to believe it can't detect the   1111   .

To be honest, I really don't know why this happens.

Do you think it's possible to successfully replace text in many .doc files at once with Notepad++? Or some other program?

Thanks dmiranda, it seems like a great program.

I tried to find   1111   in a .doc text document but unfortunately it couldn't find it.

I think UCyborg is correct, I found an article saying that .docx and .pdf documents are binary (not plaintext), and that Notepad++ is an editor for plaintext files.

https://community.notepad-plus-plus.org/topic/16178/faq-desk-why-does-my-docx-file-look-like-junk-in-notepad

Can LibreOffice or OpenOffice successfully replace text in many .doc files at once? Or some other program?

32 minutes ago, we3fan said:

Can LibreOffice or OpenOffice successfully replace text in many .doc files at once? Or some other program?

Ucyborg is right. I haven't used the specific plugins, but winmerge can supposedly load and replace (at least file by file) word and pdf files, at least file by file. A tough cookie...

As per openoffice/libreoffice, this may help (but not much): https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5067

Edited by dmiranda

I'm also seeing certain text strings that are supposed to appear on videos but I've yet to see them "do" anything either.

I kinda assume that the Images and the Videos "features" are dependent on &/or only work at very specific (Chinese?) sites.

Since I haven't seen them "do" anything, I'm leaning on removing them.

I'm checking, double-checking, and triple-checking and so far I have been able to remove 211 text strings that the GUI never uses.

And have verified 131 text strings as still needed (a small handfull that can probably still be removed but keeping because they are words like "Risky" that is supposed to show up in Download Manager for certain download file types, I've just not witnessed it yet).

That's just the browser_strings.xml file.

@we3fan
Havent' dug into specifics of .doc format...one of the problems is that a text editor may find text that is not an actual text, but a part of another data structure. Then there's the problem with encoding. Hex editor may be able to distinguish between ANSI, UTF-8 and Unicode.

I don't know whether there's a .doc editor out there that would offer search and replace in multiple files.

Either way, more discussion regarding .doc specifics would be better continued in a separate topic, if desired.

Edited by UCyborg

On the v13 build 2206 v3 progress - I'm opting to put this on the back burner for now.

@Humming Owl has taken some great strides in this thread - https://msfn.org/board/topic/182876-360-extreme-explorer-modified-version

His capabilities on the modification-front no longer relies on the Russian Repack on the telemetry side of things (which wasn't perfect but served as a decent starting point).

There are telemetries in the original dark theme (which my builds have always disabled and replaced with an XP theme) and @Humming Owl is digging into that before he can do a v13.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern circling the airport and awaiting my final descent.

ps - I do think @Humming Owl is leaning towards 2250 instead of 2206 or possibly leaning towards waiting for official v13 to be "final" (ie, the Chinese releases a v14).

So my goals are to reverse-engineer his v13 Modification Notes and possibly remain on 2206 - but like I say, kind of just circling the airport for now.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

I'm opting for a modified version of @Humming Owl's Modified v11 as my next rebuild release.

I prefer to totally remove some portions of the GUI for a cleaner look-and-feel (plus, we intentionally break some of those functions anyway).

I also have a laptop that has two video outputs but in order to get full 4k on the one output, I have to limit the laptop's built-in display to 1024 x 768.

Below is what the Power Save Mode looks like in that 1024 x 768 display (which, ironically, is the only computer/laptop that I even use the Power Save Mode).

The original GUI is fine for Chinese sentences because Chinese characters can write longer sentences in less space.

But we end up with truncated sentences that don't fit in the allotted space once translated to English (or Russian, as far as that goes).

I'll also be using an XP skin by default but do plan on "eventually" having a TOGGLE feature for you "dark" folks (I have not looked into "how" yet, but I'm confident that it can be achieved).

spacer.png

4 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I'm opting for a modified version of @Humming Owl's Modified v11 as my next rebuild release.

I prefer to totally remove some portions of the GUI for a cleaner look-and-feel (plus, we intentionally break some of those functions anyway).

I also have a laptop that has two video outputs but in order to get full 4k on the one output, I have to limit the laptop's built-in display to 1024 x 768.

Below is what the Power Save Mode looks like in that 1024 x 768 display (which, ironically, is the only computer/laptop that I even use the Power Save Mode).

The original GUI is fine for Chinese sentences because Chinese characters can write longer sentences in less space.

But we end up with truncated sentences that don't fit in the allotted space once translated to English (or Russian, as far as that goes).

I'll also be using an XP skin by default but do plan on "eventually" having a TOGGLE feature for you "dark" folks (I have not looked into "how" yet, but I'm confident that it can be achieved).

spacer.png

Why not v12? So that it is a more recent chromium version?