Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

4 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Google Voice doesn't work with an untouched original v9, v11, or v12.

It requires v13 and it's not dependent on whether we mod v13 or not.

I haven't tested with untouched Chromium versions to see which minimum Chromium version is required.

Ok. I tested it yesterday with original v9 and it is like you said.

2 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Here is one (among dozens) of English issues I have with 360 Chrome.

I screen-cap'd this from the modded v9.

This spelling error (call it obsessive if you like) exists in ALL versions of 360 Chrome.

This spelling error is one of the messages that is displayed when you run the Speedup utility.

spacer.png

But it IS fixable.

Here is a screen-cap from my modded v13 build 2206.

Note that I also put a SPACE between Can release: and the actual number (again, call it obsessive if you like).

spacer.png

I also capitalized More and Speedup in the More settings for Speedup link at the bottom of the Speedup Utility and the Speedup count messages along the right (yes, again, call it obsessive if you like).

I will add those modifications in Modded v9. Don't worry about the obsessive thing that I like and I need this kind of information (I am obsessive with the things I like to do).Yesterday I saw that I didn't delete an image that appears on the extensions page that is in Chinese, and in the "about" menu where the browser and chromium versions appear another fix is also needed. Thank you.

Where did you make this modification?

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Based on some of the Chinese/Russian update logs, it appears that the May 13, 2021 Build 2250 is the last of the v13.0 branch (ie, version 13.0.2250.0).

It appears that upstream has moved on to the v13.5 branch (June 8, 2021 = version 13.5.1020.0).

I'm pulling the release dates and update logs from here - http://forum.ru-board.com:9000/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=50612&start=0&limit=1&m=31

I'm seeing this as a good time for me to officially upgrade from the 13.0 Build 2206 that I have been using and port all my mods to 13.0 Build 2250.

I'm not sure of where to find the "official" update logs and I've seem some v13.1 releases - but even those indicate that 13.0.2250.0 is going to be the last in the 13.0 branch.

I'll attempt to document all of my mods along the way a bit better than the last time around.

Ok, it looks like they want to upgrade to a newer chromium. Let's see how they handle it this time.

Cheers. 

I'm showing the v13.5 branch to use the same Chromium as the v13.0 branch.

The modifications for the Speedup Utility are inside "en-US.pak".

There are a total of six files that I made changes to that all pertain to the Speedup Utility --

5662   ---   Optimizing the memory  ==>>  Optimizing memory…

5663   ---   Clearint the cache  ==>>  Cleaning cache…

5666   ---   speedup percent:$1  ==>>   Speedup percent: $1   [note: there is a space BEFORE the S in Speedup (this puts a gap between Speedup and the checkmark on the completed screen) and between the : and $1]

5673   ---   (Can release:$1)  ==>>  (Can release: $1)

5674   ---   (Released:$1)  ==>>  (Released: $1)

5685   ---   more setting for speedup  ==>>  More settings for Speedup

12 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Oh ok, my mistake. I think I read on the Chinese 360 forums that they were in the process of upgrading the chromium engine to 90 (I think). but it was very hard to know when they were going to do it because of the lack of information and the page is not google translatable.

15 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

The modifications for the Speedup Utility are inside "en-US.pak".

There are a total of six files that I made changes to that all pertain to the Speedup Utility --

5662   ---   Optimizing the memory  ==>>  Optimizing memory…

5663   ---   Clearint the cache  ==>>  Cleaning cache…

5666   ---   speedup percent:$1  ==>>   Speedup percent: $1   [note: there is a space BEFORE the S in Speedup (this puts a gap between Speedup and the checkmark on the completed screen) and between the : and $1]

5673   ---   (Can release:$1)  ==>>  (Can release: $1)

5674   ---   (Released:$1)  ==>>  (Released: $1)

5685   ---   more setting for speedup  ==>>  More settings for Speedup

Thanks.

2 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

It appears that upstream has moved on to the v13.5 branch (June 8, 2021 = version 13.5.1020.0).
I'm pulling the release dates and update logs from here - 
http://forum.ru-board.com:9000/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=50612&start=0&limit=1&m=31
(snipped)
I'm not sure of where to find the "official" update logs

It appears the official 360 forum thread pertaining to this new 13.5 beta development cycle is located in the URI below (all in Chinese): 

https://bbs.360.cn/thread-15980045-1-1.html

latest beta build already at 13.5.1030.0...

Release Notes history posted towards the end of the initial post; below a screenshot, inline-translated into English: 

ZRIxQHd.jpg

@ArcticFoxie 

Since there are a lot of translation and English problems (and you have more experience than me in English and in the text displayed in the browser) I would like you to make a list showing all the changes you think convenient (if you want). I for my part will sort out the changes I made to remove the Chinese connections. When we have the 2 complete lists we can start modifying the original versions of the browser, what do you think?

And of course, no need to rush, take your time.

Cheers. 

I am starting from scratch on a version 13.0.2250.0 build and putting all of my steps in a tabbed .xls spreadsheet.

I'll provide access to the spreadsheet once I've completed all of my steps.

I'll also provide access to a .zip'd download of my 13.0.2250.0.

The way I build mine is to disable wi-fi completely and modify files without any internet access.

My version never connects to the internet until after I've made all my changes.

But it is executed so that it undergoes its "First Run" process.

On 6/26/2021 at 2:50 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

This spelling error (call it obsessive if you like) exists in ALL versions of 360 Chrome.

This spelling error is one of the messages that is displayed when you run the Speedup utility.

:P ... An English speaking user of 360EE v13 has apparently posted in their official forums, 3 days ago, alerting them about that specific misspelling, along with other shortcomings of the "Speedup" utility: 

https://bbs.360.cn/thread-15985856-1-1.html

... Any chance you are user "652961752", dear friend? (just joking, of course...) :)

They seem to want to fix things, that's good to know :yes: ... After reading some past comments in their official forum, I got the distinct idea it was generally frowned upon to post in English there, so at least that notion must have changed since then... ;)

Edited by VistaLover

Too funny.

Did they catch the colsed typos versus closed?  Or Colse versus Close?  Or Backuo versus Backup?  Or clouds (plural) when you back up to the cloud (singular)?  Or bookmar versus bookmark?  Or just the total misuse of SPACES?

My complete rebuild notes and a copy of my "base" with all modifications and untouched by a "first run" is provided below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5twje35tkzfh8ay/360ChromePortable.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/obhxz6smkkt6030hn90ks/13.0.2250.0.xls?dl=0&rlkey=3i1ghxtckjhzw67t0nxpkoq94

Edited by ArcticFoxie

On 6/4/2021 at 6:14 PM, Humming Owl said:

Ok. I managed to change the theme modifying the file Preferences (/Chrome/User Data/Default). 

Open it and search "jisu9" (there is only one match)

And change --> "id": "jisu9_dark",

to --> "id": "jisu9_chrome",

That worked for me on 13.0.2250.0

Edit: This is to change it to the light theme.

I almost forgot about this post.

I'll revisit my build notes but I'll hold off for a few days, it took a major chunk of the entire weekend to do the "rebuild" and track each-and-every change along the way.

I did discover that I forgot to update the download icon, the icon that's there "works", I just use a different one in my normal XP skin and forgot to port it over when I did my rebuild for 2250.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

"Base" build update -

For anyone that may have downloaded my "base" build and the accompanying .xls notes, I have since made two changes (but have not uploaded a new .xls).

Step 3  --  I now REPLACE dark with chrome in the Preferences file so that it now reads "id": "jisu9_chrome",  [note: the comma at the end is intentional]

Step 8  --  I now RENAME original jisu9_dark.srx to jisu9_dark.srx.bak and RENAME original jisu9_chrome.srx to jisu9_chrome.srx.bak

Then download my XP skin now-named jisu9_chrome.srx and place it in the ..\Chrome\Application\13.0.2250.0\skin folder

The updated XP skin download link is  --  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/9tq4s4dezizsts5/jisu9_chrome.srx

The only update to the XP skin (aside from file name) is I updated the download icon in the main toolbar.

ps - Build 2250 has a tendency to lockup on First Run and requires processes to be killed via Task Manager.  Subsequent runs are flawless and I haven't had any crashes or lockups in three days.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

On 6/29/2021 at 2:21 AM, ArcticFoxie said:

Too funny.

Did they catch the colsed typos versus closed?  Or Colse versus Close?  Or Backuo versus Backup?  Or clouds (plural) when you back up to the cloud (singular)?  Or bookmar versus bookmark?  Or just the total misuse of SPACES?

My complete rebuild notes and a copy of my "base" with all modifications and untouched by a "first run" is provided below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5twje35tkzfh8ay/360ChromePortable.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/obhxz6smkkt6030hn90ks/13.0.2250.0.xls?dl=0&rlkey=3i1ghxtckjhzw67t0nxpkoq94

I downloaded it but it is not usable on my computer. It crashes frequently and generaly slows down the system. I don't know if its your version or it happens because of the way 360 generally works. I am currently using version 9.5 and it's very stable.

I've had two lockups in two days, so I was waiting for others to reply before deciding my own next step.

The lockups that I have had on Build 2250 are at startup and I have to exit the browser and restart it.

But while the browser appears to exit, a new restart will not actually restart.

I've had to go into Task Manager and kill a few processes pertaining to 360Chrome and then I can restart - I've never had that occur while using Build 2206.

So I have been on the fence on whether to revert to Build 2206 or not because it was my gut feeling that it is more stable.

Not sure if Build 2206 will solve your stability issues as well, I'll provide a copy of my "base" with all modifications and untouched by a "first run" later today or early tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback, it kinda confirms my own hunch that Build 2206 is better than Build 2250.

ps - v13 is the ONLY browser I have been able to find that runs in XP and where Google Voice can make phone calls (I don't own a phone, haven't for close to 20 years, not when I can make phone calls for free using my computer!).

I've had to rely on a VirtualBox Win7 VM and ungoogled Chromium builds for Google Voice in recent years and it wasn't until 360Chrome v13 was discovered that I no longer need the Win7 VM.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

@Greyfox77 - I would be interested in your feedback on the below version.  It's one of the earlier BETA versions (only the second BETA if I tracked correctly) (Build 1006).

Please note that this is an unmodified version and I would not visit any of you banking sites with it, but I am curious if this may solve your stability issues.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/htxqcsco69yl540/360Chrome%2013.0.1006.7z