Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

Hi ArcticFoxie, I tried your 13.0.2250.0 modified version, works nice and fast, looks great and neat, but when I opened YouTube it crashed after 30 seconds, while I was browsing YouTube for 15 minutes it crashed 2 times total. It showed a pop-up box roughly saying: "browser crashed, do you want to restart?" Maybe it is my current hardware, not sure, but I don't remember YouTube crashing like this with any other browser I tried.

@we3fan - do you mind trying the beta build 1006 that i linked for @Greyfox77 ?

In the meantime, I am in-process of rebuilding my Build 2206 - I have witnessed some crashes/lockups with build 2250 but not quite as much as you two have posted, but enough for me to revert to Build 2206.

But an even earlier beta may end up proving even more stable, unsure as of yet (and the file/folder structure is drastically different).

But I do know that my needs require v13.

I kinda would also be curious as to your CPU, your RAM, and the total number of processes that your setup runs.

And I am assuming you are running Win XP SP3 x86 or Win SP2 x64 and not some hacked kernel like some of the Win 2000 crowd.

I included POSReady2009 updates as "hacked" - I have witnessed them killing some of my older programs and I no longer install any of them.

I just did close to an hour of YouTube on my lowest-grade hardware available without resorting to a 16yr old ThinkPad T43 laptop that I don't "expect" a lot out of (and I subsrcribe to the notion of it being insane for me to "expect" a lot out of).

My test laptop is a Dell Latitude D830, Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 @ 2.2 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM, WinXP x86.

You could get the D830 with a 1.8, 2.0, or 2.2 GHz CPU, so mine was "top-of-the-line" when new (circa 2007, so still 14yrs old).

Aside from typical audio-stutter (only while the page is still loading) on low-grade hardware, the browser did not crash or lockup for the entire hour.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

8 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

@Greyfox77 - I would be interested in your feedback on the below version.  It's one of the earlier BETA versions (only the second BETA if I tracked correctly) (Build 1006).

Please note that this is an unmodified version and I would not visit any of you banking sites with it, but I am curious if this may solve your stability issues.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/htxqcsco69yl540/360Chrome%2013.0.1006.7z

It does not crash and it's more stable. it's faster than the previous one, although it lags a little . It is a little less faster than version 9.5. I have an HP Elitebook 8540p

Is it the russian version? Is it supposed to block telemetry and if not will it affect in general my system in general? I have avast premium installed. If I want to uninstall it, do I just delete the files?

Thanks a lot!

I would delete the Build 1006 version (for now at least), you only need to delete the files.

It was for curiosity/testing since Build 2250 was crashing for a few of us.

I've reverted to Build 2206 and I have it available from the below links (if we find that Build 2206 crashes for a few of us then I'll revisit Build 1006) --

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vk7fkatsa27l7mz/360_extreme_explorer_13.0.2206.0.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/277hb9m3n09dnvy0vgn3h/13.0.2206.0.xls?dl=0&rlkey=tcjlaugbf76xzssd04uxdh1b4

EDIT:  the above .zip is the Russian Repack - UNMODIFIED

Here is the correct link to my Build 2206  --

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uqusfcjrbox9akz/360Chrome%20%28unran%29.zip?dl=0

Do note that version 9.5 is expected to be slightly faster than version 13, but I wouldn't expect too much of a difference on an HP EliteBook 8540p.

I may do an actual BENCHMARK test between the two (as opposed to "gut feelings"), but I'm in no hurry for that.

My biggest thing is that v13 CAN DO stuff that v9.5 simply can NOT DO, so it's a balancing act, are those CAN DO'S worth the SLIGHT (if even noticeable!) speed difference?

To me they are because I don't own a phone and require v13 to use as a phone.

But in the ever-evolving internet, it won't be long before v9.5 simply cannot do half of what it used to be able to do.

Web sites are constantly changing and using "new code" that older browsers can't decypher/execute/render.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

I decided to give Articfoxie's portable 13.0.2250 a try, for "use in case nothing else works" or "it stalls too much in RT1 builds" purposes. It runs quite nicely on my baseline nlited setup, now testing in production. It did crash a bit while testing extensions and such, but after a couple of hours now seems stable. 2206 did not work for me, nor did Humming Owl's 9.x. One thing I would like to see -in these or other versions- is launching using dropmyrights (last link in https://www.grc.com/sn/notes-176.htm) to start with low credentials irrespective of user.  It is a nice browser, almost on par -speedwise- with K-meleon. There is the issue of privacy, of course, but for script heavy sites (such as FB, Youtube and the like) it may become mandatory. Cheers!

Following Nihira's recommendations in page 3 of this thread, I made the following changes in chrome flags. Only two of the ones he suggested are available in V13.0.2250

Chrome://Flags
Extension Content Verification - Enforce Strict

WebRTC remote-bound event logging - Disabled

As per extensions, I also followed Nihira's suggestions, adding a few more. I couldn't make scripsafe work without breaking one too many things.

EXTENSIONS
BP Privacy Block All Font and Glyph Detection
Canvas Blocker - Fingerprint Protect
Cookie Autodelete
Decentraleyes
Enhancer for YouTube™
HTTPS Everywhere
Sexy Undo Close Tab
Social Fixer for Facebook
Ublock Origin
Umatrix

Edited by dmiranda

4 hours ago, dmiranda said:

One thing I would like to see -in these or other versions- is launching using dropmyrights (last link in https://www.grc.com/sn/notes-176.htm) to start with low credentials irrespective of user.

I see zero benefit to using DropMyRights (for any web browser of 2021!).

It was discontinued in 2004 and its user-base practically fell off the face of the earth in 2009/2010.

XP was released in 2001, SP1 was released in 2002, SP2 was released in 2004, and SP3 was released in 2008.

uBlock became available in 2014.

I would resurrect JauntePE before reurrecting DropMyRights.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

8 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I would delete the Build 1006 version (for now at least), you only need to delete the files.

It was for curiosity/testing since Build 2250 was crashing for a few of us.

I've reverted to Build 2206 and I have it available from the below links (if we find that Build 2206 crashes for a few of us then I'll revisit Build 1006) --

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vk7fkatsa27l7mz/360_extreme_explorer_13.0.2206.0.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/277hb9m3n09dnvy0vgn3h/13.0.2206.0.xls?dl=0&rlkey=tcjlaugbf76xzssd04uxdh1b4

Do note that version 9.5 is expected to be slightly faster than version 13, but I wouldn't expect too much of a difference on an HP EliteBook 8540p.

I may do an actual BENCHMARK test between the two (as opposed to "gut feelings"), but I'm in no hurry for that.

My biggest thing is that v13 CAN DO stuff that v9.5 simply can NOT DO, so it's a balancing act, are those CAN DO'S worth the SLIGHT (if even noticeable!) speed difference?

To me they are because I don't own a phone and require v13 to use as a phone.

But in the ever-evolving internet, it won't be long before v9.5 simply cannot do half of what it used to be able to do.

Web sites are constantly changing and using "new code" that older browsers can't decypher/execute/render.

The speed is not really different, it's the crashes that can ruin someone's experience. But yes, v13 can access a lot more sites on the internet. I will also try build 2206. Since yesterday, I have used for some hours build 1006 and it's decent, it crashed only once.

Also, for some reason, sometimes if i try to play youtube and wmp 9 is playing something on the background, build 1006 (at least) crashes. 

Edited by Greyfox77

ArcticFoxie, I tested on Asus S96J laptop, Intel Core Duo T2500 @ 2.0 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 PC2-5300 RAM (I plan to upgrade to 4GB RAM soon), Win XP Pro x86 SP2, original SP2 kernel, no updates (I only "update" if I really need it for a specific program).

Here is how the test went with your 13.0.2250.0 modified version:
Start browser, open youtube.com, play random video, after 10 seconds crashed with this message:
1.png.ad586e1ef8b6517b87784f1f55a99fa8.png

I pressed OK, play another random video, this time it played with no problem for 10 minutes.
Close browser, start browser again, open youtube.com, play another random video, after 12 seconds crashed again with same message.
Not sure if the reason is my low RAM or something else.

Do you want me to test the beta build 1006 or maybe try the modified 2206 first?

Edited by we3fan

2 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Can you describe why 2206 did not work in your case?

Unlike your 2250, missing english definitions, and (at least with portable settings) unable to browse

Interestingly, always on 2250, netflix played for a while, but after a while results in error M7701-1003 (https://help.netflix.com/en/node/27451), asking for widevine (when first playing without it, for a while). Another site that doesn't work is linkedin.

I've got plenty crashes like the one reported by we3fan, but after a while of tweaking things around, it worked. But it is hit and miss, probably.

I didn't quite follow your distaste for dropmyrights, being an effective and quite simple to use tool, nor do I follow how would you use jauntepe to lower rights, but well... I'll keep playing with 2250 every now and then and report back. Thanks!

Edited by dmiranda