The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

28 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

What traditions ? Like going to the alien Roman church ?

No, BTW, I am not a believer and a practising atheist. Children used to collect sweets on St. Martin's Day in our region. And if you want to dress up as whatever, there is carnival every year. And there are also many other traditions. What I ultimately mean is that Germans don't have to ape everything that other countries do. 

3 hours ago, msfntor said:

Ok celebrate celebrate, but in full awareness of the roots of these celebrations, that is all I suggest to all participants.

I don't celebrate it and never had . I wrote I had that girl. That's it . Where did you get the part about celebration ?

But we should respect our British members and their Holidays. They are humans , not commies . 

And I'm against this anti-Halloween debate , saying again.

For informational purposes

All Saints' Day: origin, history and why this tradition is celebrated

11/1/2022, 8:05:19 AM

211101101344-restricted-all-saints-day-s  

(Credit Image: ? Jordi Boixareu/ZUMA Press Wire)

All Saints' Day is a religious holiday celebrated in various countries around the world. We tell you about its history and tradition.

November 1, 2021, Barcelona, Spain: A man stands in front of graves decorated with flowers at the Poblenou cemetery of Barcelona.

November 01 is the Catholic holiday of All Saints, which is dedicated to the memory of the deceased.

Every year on November 1, many Roman Catholics and other Christians around the world celebrate All Saints' Day, which honors all the saints of the Church who are considered to have made it to heaven.

In the Orthodox Church, All Saints' Day is celebrated on the first Sunday after Pentecost.

Here is an overview of the history and traditions of this religious holiday.

Where does All Saints' Day come from?

Although now celebrated in November, All Saints' Day was originally celebrated on May 13, but the origin cannot be traced with certainty, according to the Encyclopedia Britannica.

Pope Boniface IV formally initiated what would later become known as All Saints' Day on May 13 in the year 609, when he dedicated the Pantheon in Rome as a church in honor of the Virgin Mary and all martyrs.

The current date of November 1 was established by Pope Gregory III during his tenure (731-741) when he dedicated a chapel in St. Peter's Basilica in Rome in honor of all the saints.

Although initially this celebration was limited to Rome, later, in the year 837, Pope Gregory IV ordered the official observance of All Saints' Day every November 1 and extended its celebration to the entire Church.

All Saints really means ALL Saints

While many canonized saints are celebrated with their own individual feast days (such as Saint Patrick), saints who have not been canonized do not have a particular celebration.

All Saints' Day recognizes those whose holiness only God knows.

Still, Catholic celebrations tend to focus on well-known saints, those canonized by the Catholic Church.

A sacred obligation

According to Catholic Online, within the Catholic Church, All Saints' Day is generally considered a Holy Day of Obligation, meaning that all Catholics are required to attend Mass unless impeded by illness or other suitable excuse.

However, mass is not compulsory in 2021 because the feast falls on a Monday.

Whenever November 1 falls on a Monday or Saturday, Catholics are encouraged to attend Mass, but it is not required.

After the Protestant Reformation, many of the Protestant groups continued to celebrate All Saints' Day.

Methodists, for example, recognize it as a day to sincerely thank God for the lives and deaths of the saints, according to Christianity.com.

celebrations around the world

Although it is not a public holiday in the United States, All Saints' Day is officially celebrated in many countries.

In France and Germany, people have the day off and businesses are closed.

In countries like the Philippines, where All Saints' Day is known as "Undas," the day is not just to remember the saints, but to honor and remember deceased loved ones, usually with prayers, flowers, and good offerings.

Here: https://newsrnd.com/news/2022-11-01-all-saints--day--origin--history-and-why-this-tradition-is-celebrated.ryZu4rHC4s.html

.. and: https://cnnespanol.cnn.com/2022/11/01/dia-todos-santos-historia-tradiciones-festividad-trax/

16 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

No, BTW, I am not a believer and a practising atheist. Children used to collect sweets on St. Martin's Day in our region. And if you want to dress up as whatever, there is carnival every year. And there are also many other traditions. What I ultimately mean is that Germans don't have to ape everything that other countries do. 

Me too. Marvellous Frisian traditions ! BTW, English is much closer to Frisian than German, no ?

14 hours ago, msfntor said:

in Rome in honor of all the saints

Well, so it's not even French, it's alien to us, just like the Roman chirch, I already knew it, of course, just didn't want to stir the pot and kept silent, but you wrote it yourself.

Children unpack sad things about their parents: "My mom's heart bleeds so much"

11/2/2022

By: Jasmine Farah

Job stress, overwhelm and lack of interest: A trauma counselor now shares what her little patients really think about their parents.

That goes to the heart and kidneys.

“Becoming a parent isn't difficult, being a parent is even more difficult”: This saying will certainly make many mothers and fathers groan.

Because even if it sounds trite at first, some still feel addressed by it.

Some would even nod in the affirmative.

It is not uncommon for a parent to feel overwhelmed when raising their offspring.

Children unpack about their parents: "My mother's heart bleeds so much"

Added to this is the pressure from outside: they are called “helicopter parents” or “lawnmower parents”, and well-intentioned advice is poured in from all sides.

Sometimes you get so caught up in your mind spiral that you lose sight of family happiness.

On the other hand, we are so distracted by countless social media channels that we sometimes spend hours in the virtual world and forget everything around us.

In both scenarios, the result is similar: you spend less and less time with your loved ones.

The little ones in particular suffer from this.

Some then change, their behavior becomes more aggressive or the children are very withdrawn.

But they all have in common that they secretly do not feel loved and understood.

Then child and adolescent psychologists and personal coaches who specialize in trauma management are on hand.

One of them is Courtney, who experienced traumatic experiences at an early age and now works with children and teenagers.

She shares her experiences from therapy with her half a million followers on TikTok.

She recently posted a video showing notes or post-its from people seeking help.

They are all meant to be true statements that her little clients said to her.

Most of the time it's about the parents not being interested enough in them.

For example, a six-year-old writes, “I wish I was as important to my parents as their phone is.” A thirteen-year-old writes, “If I annoy my mom, it's because I want attention.

I can't get it any other way."

Another 7-year-old was particularly touching, with a post-it reading: "My dog gets more attention than me.

Dad says it's because he can't speak.

That's why I stopped speaking."

Tiktok video: 

The clip has gone viral on TikTok, has already received over half a million likes and over 11,000 comments.

Most users are shocked by what the children report about their everyday family life.

Some even feel triggered and report having had similar experiences.

Here is a selection of the most touching comments:

"It hurts and makes me rethink a lot."

"My mom heart bleeds so much."

"My heart's just a little broken."

"🥺We should all be more careful with each other.😔 especially with our children."

"Phew, that's hard."

"All of that together and you described my mom and the relationship with her."

"I cried reading this and that's exactly how I used to feel... I've started putting my phone away when I'm spending time with my kid or others."

"When you scold your child, they don't stop loving you, they stop loving themselves."

"I feel like that just means a lot of people are just not ready for the reality that parenting brings."

Here: https://newsrnd.com/life/2022-11-02-children-unpack-sad-things-about-their-parents--"my-mom-s-heart-bleeds-so-much".r1V4bMj1Ss.html

..and here: https://www.24vita.de/verbraucher/kinder-aussagen-eltern-familie-vernachlaessigung-therapeut-tiktok-video-kommentare-91887829.html

Edited by msfntor

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Me too. Marvellous Frisian traditions ! BTW, English is much closer to Frisian than German, no ?

smilie_m_006.gif This is a quotation from Wikipedia:

Low German (in the language itself: Plattdüütsch, in the  German language: Plattdeutsch, pronounced [ˈplatdɔʏtʃ] is a West Germanic language variety spoken mainly in Northern Germany and the northeastern part of the Netherlands. Low German is most closely related to Frisian and English, with which it forms the North Sea Germanic group of the West Germanic languages. 

Where I was born, Frisian people speak "Plattdeutsch". It doesn't make any sense to translate it into the English language. You would get the translation "Low German". For me, a bit pointless. See above the quotation from Wikipedia! Anyway, the Frisians don't really call their language Frisian directly. Frisian was a more general and more original language. But, you're right, English is much closer to Frisian than Germanssuper5sur5.gif Truth be told, I do not really speak Plattdeutsch. Only a few words. smilie-denk-24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

17 hours ago, msfntor said:

In France and Germany, people have the day off and businesses are closed.

Unfortunately, this is not quite correct. All Saints' Day is not a public holiday everywhere in Germany. Germany is divided into federal states, and there are state-specific differences for some holidays. Where I was born, in Lower Saxony, it is not a public holiday, but it is in North Rhine-Westphalia. It's all very complicated and has a lot to do with the federal government and the federal states here in Germanyidee.gifSome holidays are obligatory nationwide, others are regionally dependent. This has partly to do with the majority religious beliefs in the different federal states. smilie-denk-24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

But, you're right, English is much closer to Frisian than German

I thought so ! I told you have an oustanding Englsh, right from the start . You feel English like no one else. 

Hey, you need to rest and replenish your strength , and we are distracting you , sorry ! I hope you feel better today !

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Unfortunately, this is not quite correct. ... Where I was born, in Lower Saxony, it is not a public holiday...

And that's a very logical thing ! Why would the Frisians and Saxons want an alien Roman holiday !?